Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet Of Curiosities

This is coming to Netflix.

"Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities" - the filmmaker's upcoming Netflix horror anthology series - includes a "Babadook" reunion, plus episodes from Panos Cosmatos, Vincenzo Natali, Ana Lily Amirpour, and more."

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/gu...es-1234661623/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

That'll be worth a renewal. I haven't had a reason to for several months now.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I watched the first couple tonight. That's all that's available right now as Netflix releases two episodes a day for the next few nights as the streaming services continue their experimentations to find the best way to release a series.

This is definitely the largest budgeted example of this sort of series so far as an eclectic group of film-makers get their hands on that sweet, sweet Netflix money. It's pretty lush.

Both the first two stories have notably similar set ups with lead characters on the same arc. They manage to be different enough despite that but odd choices to place these two stories one after the other.

These are good though. Gross, strange and rounded stories. I hope it does well.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

A decent start, even if it does have the Netflix look. Looking at the upcoming episodes it seems like a lost opportunity that there's no Arthur Machen or Lord Dunsany given GDT's love for them. Do we need more Lovecraft or Graveyard Rats again?
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Wow that 3rd episode is some pretty heavy body horror. Maybe not for the crowd here but remember Netflix is the modern equivalent of network TV. Most families will have Netflix and most will be tuning in because it's the new thing that Netflix is pushing. In that context that episode is heavy going. I liked it for what it was. Hopefully family tv night wasn't irrevocably spoiled for too many.

Episode 4 I class as a mini masterpiece. I loved this. Once again we're in body horror territory. Body horror from a female perspective. Horrors always best when it feels psychological. Thats where your Cronenbergs, Lynchs and Hitchcocks work. Theres not many female names in that area. I felt like we were watching one carve out a little bit of territory here. Beautiful on the design front, completely twisted, loved it.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
            Wow that 3rd episode is some pretty heavy body horror. Maybe not for the crowd here but remember Netflix is the modern equivalent of network TV. Most families will have Netflix and most will be tuning in because it's the new thing that Netflix is pushing. In that context that episode is heavy going. I liked it for what it was. Hopefully family tv night wasn't irrevocably spoiled for too many.
            If people ignore the content warning and rating at the start of a show then they get what they deserve.
            Matt H.
            Last edited by Matt H.; 10-26-2022, 02:03 PM.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

That third episode was fun, but I think families that all huddle round the set watching Dahmer can deal with a bit of viscera!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                A decent start, even if it does have the Netflix look. Looking at the upcoming episodes it seems like a lost opportunity that there's no Arthur Machen or Lord Dunsany given GDT's love for them. Do we need more Lovecraft or Graveyard Rats again?
                The second ep was from a story by Henry Kuttner. That's a show of knowing yer shit, fer sure. Kuttners work is grossly under presented.

I could take an ep with no dialog based on something by Clarke Ashton Smith though.

Comment

Originally posted by JonesyTheCat View Post

The second ep was from a story by Henry Kuttner. That's a show of knowing yer shit, fer sure. Kuttners work is grossly under presented.

I could take an ep with no dialog based on something by Clarke Ashton Smith though.
                  It was done before in Trilogy of Terror 2, not my favourite story. Ep 4 was a nice change of pace.

Comment

I thought the two Lovecraft episodes were a slight disappointment. The first meanders for a long time before getting anywhere interesting while the second is just not cohesive. There's no build up to justify that ending. It is the most visually special of the eps so far though. There's one shot in particular that I want to know how it was done. Still, even when the tales disappoint it's still great to see this kind of storytelling being told on this scale.

Comment

Knocked off the last couple last night. From the start Panos Cosmatos' episode was the one I was most looking forward to. It didn't disappointing. He makes good use of that sweet Netflix money to create an absolute trip of an episode. The first 45 minutes are some of the most intriguing and visually awesome screen entertainment of recent times. The last 15 minutes are a bit WTF. They're not bad but there's no hook to tie the story together. It winds up as a sequence of random events. Which I guess Mandy was as well. The experience is going to need to be enough and for me it was.

Jennifer Kent's entry on the other hand is a very neat little package where everything ties up cleanly. It's a "things that go bump in the night" haunted house movie full of creaking floorboards and doors that open themselves. If youre into that sort of thing, i sort of am, its a good example and has the best scares of the series.

All up I thought this was grand television. You had 8 excellent filmmakers given enough money to do what they wanted and, I believe, given a free creative hand and now all these new films exist. That's grand. Things felt a little same-y with all the period settings but that would be my only complaint.

Hopefully they do it all again for Halloween 2024. And hopefully Del Torro would do one himself if it is. He's a strange and uncomfortable host. I don't think he shares Hitchcocks desire to jump in front of the camera.

We could have a wait to know though. It seems like nothing's being renewed at Netflix right now. Even Cobra Kai is sitting on the shelf at present. Seems like the bean counters have put things in stasis while they get their act together.

I will be interested to see the viewing figures as they roll in. It feels like a challenging and uncompromising set of films to be a major hit with mainstream audiences

Comment

“Cabinet of Curiosities”: How to Watch the Special Black & White Version of “Graveyard Rats”

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/373...raveyard-rats/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Lovecraft episodes were pretty tired. I really hope they didn't change the rat's name for the reason that I suspect.

Comment

I just started watching this. First episode was okay.

Graveyard Rats, what an over-produced pile of over-acted garbage. From the Bill The Butcher accent in the beginning to the flashlight in the head after the fall.

I've heard that it gets better as you go, I'm sure hoping so!

Comment

imho the last good thing del toro has done is blade 2. change my mind!

Comment

Working...
                              X