Clear All

• She-Hulk

Another one coming soon to Disney +.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Full trailer.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This looks like fun.
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Tim Roth will show up in this as The Abomination.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/she-hul...e-abomination/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

New trailer.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Befree release this had over 20000 ratings on imdb, pretty much all of them 10 stars or 1 and plenty of those reviews come from people over 30. I'm trying to picture the adult who's sitting there thinking "I've got to do some thing to take down that show about the green, cgi lawyer!' The world is a very strange place right now.
            Last edited by Dom D; 08-20-2022, 01:15 AM.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
              Befree release this had over 20000 ratings on imdb, pretty much all of them 10 stars or 1 and plenty of those reviews come from people over 30. I'm trying to picture the adult who's sitting there thinking "I've got to do some thing to take down that show about the green, cgi lawyer!' The world is a very strange place right now.
              You don't have to picture them, they're all over Youtube! I find reaction videos galling at best (overgrown children pouring over news articles or teaser trailers rather than doing something creative themselves), but these people have their knives out as soon as something is announced. Would they even give a shit if they weren't scrabbling for ad revenue or trying to sell their merch/coffee brand etc.? I'm bemused by the 'never going to watch, but sure as hell going to slag it off' mentality. Sometimes I miss the pre internet days when people just switched channels if they didn't like something.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

The CGI looks underwhelming and some of the dialogue is too on the nose but I found the 80s comic by Byrne fun so I'll give it a shot. DD and Punisher aside I've found the MCU tv shows unimpressive but who really cares at this point.

Comment

Did anyone else give this a shot? I really did not like the first episode at all but as the series moved on, I kinda got hooked and wound up really enjoying it. If you go into this knowing it's a comedy and not so much an action series, it's pretty entertaining. Lots of fourth wall breaking and very 'meta' at times (especially the finale) but the therapy session episode was hysterical. Hopefully they do a second season.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There should be more Tim Roth in this. He was great.

I give this show major props for how much upset it caused to a segment of the grown-man-worshipping-superheroes set. My favourite was a youtube video I saw where this Scottish guy lost his shit over She Hulk calling Captain America a Virgin. He just was not going to have it.

I strongly disliked the first episode and found it mostly watchable after that. Like Deadpool it walks a fine line between funny and obnoxious and it tips over a lot for me.

The CGIs disappointing just because you lose your actress. Couldn't they just have painted her green and oversized her like they did with Gandalf? The Hulk just looks very uncoordinated and awkward and our lead actress is great. Go with your strengths.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Hollywood's inexplicable hard-on for CGI has ruined so much stuff.

Comment

I avoid most modern superhero comic books because whenever there's humor in a title it tends to come from characters cracking on each other for their names, costumes and powers. Throw any D-list villain from the 60's-80's into most anything and you'll inevitably get that "joke" over and over, and the Marvel movies and shows have followed suit. In one of the recent Honest Trailers on Youtube they did a supercut of every time a character made a wise crack about some other character's name in the Marvel movies and while I can take or leave the Honest Trailer format - get excited about some mindless entertainment then clamor for a snotty takedown of it a week later - you can't deny data and they pull that shit a lot.

Tatiana Maslany said she was excited to get Matt Murdoch/Daredevil onto the show so they could use that character within the tone of their program, and from what I've seen that "tone" consists of snarky takedowns. Look at this guy...he's a Man-Bull. This guy's a fucking porcupine. Look at this guy's dumb powers and that person's silly costume. I just don't find that funny because it's played out, which is why I've stuck to watching some random clips and some chunks of episodes here and there and maybe it's confirmation bias but what I've caught isn't for me.

When THOR: RAGNAROK came out a buddy of mine loved it and when I told him I thought there was too much humor he argued that all the MCU stuff has humor. True, but they're overdoing it and it's unnecessary. I told him it was like if you went to McDonald's and the person making the fries accidentally added double the salt so you complained. If the reaction was "Hey, french fries have salt. You must not like french fries." I'd counter with "I do like fries, but there's too much fucking salt on these."

There's too much salt in these movies/shows now.
                        Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                          There's too much salt in these movies/shows now.
                          Based on the source material, She-Hulk has been written as a comedy title for over three decades now and was definitely presented as a sitcom here. Totally understandable if the humor doesn’t work for you but in this case you’re complaining about the amount of salt in something that is advertised as being high in sodium.

Meanwhile, I thought She-Hulk was delightful and easily the best of all the MCU shows on Disney+. I’ve enjoyed all the other Marvel shows to varying degrees but felt they all dropped the ball with the last episode or two, around the time someone decides a big CG fight scene is needed. Thankfully, since the pitch here is “legal sitcom with superheroes” rather than “superhero show”, She-Hulk is able to sidestep that problem very neatly and in a way that jives beautifully with the source material. Speaking of which, in addition to the Byrne run’s meta comedic take I thought this series owed a lot to the Dan Slott run from, good lord, the mid-00s - and perhaps also a bit of Mark Waid’s take on Daredevil.

Overall, I’d say She-Hulk was charming and very entertaining - not least because it was allowed to be a half-hour per episode rather than being forced to drag things out towards the hour mark whether that was called for or not. Kudos to Tatiana Maslany for doing a helluva great job as Jennifer Walters (even if the CG was a bit janky when she was big ‘n green) as well as the rest of the cast. I’m hoping this gets a second season for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FnordChan View Post

Based on the source material, She-Hulk has been written as a comedy title for over three decades now and was definitely presented as a sitcom here. Totally understandable if the humor doesn’t work for you but in this case you’re complaining about the amount of salt in something that is advertised as being high in sodium.
                            You're correct, but I'm sensing a shift in these shows and movies that mirrors what happened in the 00's in the comics themselves, even in the more serious titles. That is to say that a generation of writers, saddled with a few decades worth of silly characters and concepts, felt that the work around for the problem of "people are going to think it's goofy to have Daredevil fight a guy in a frog suit, so let's have DD point that out before the readers have a chance to." A recent example I saw of this in a modern comic was in a Donny Cates written issue of some title where Juggernaut is being transported by a S.W.A.T. type of organization and two of the officers are making fun of the fact that he wears two masks and then clown on him for having recently lost a fight to some D-list villain with a dumb name. That type of humor is pervasive in all Big 2 comics, not just the "comedy" titles and personally I find it really tired and hackneyed.

There're two things that factor into the success of any artistic endeavor: intent and execution. In the case of She-Hulk and the last two THOR features I don't think the execution is bad but I don't agree with the intent, which is let's tell the audience that we already know this shit is dumb as fuck by winking at them first. "Come on now. A She-Hulk? A guy in a porcupine suit? We know, we know."
                            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                              In the case of She-Hulk and the last two THOR features I don't think the execution is bad but I don't agree with the intent, which is let's tell the audience that we already know this shit is dumb as fuck by winking at them first. "Come on now. A She-Hulk? A guy in a porcupine suit? We know, we know."
                              The writers are in a weird spot though. These were stories written for 10 year olds, now they're being put out as movies for adults that have to simultaneously respect the source material while also not looking totally naive to adult eyes. That's a tightrope.

You can go full Snyder and say this is all worthy of being taken seriously but that can come off really weird. Like at the end of his Justice League cut where a guys just says "My name is Martian Man Hunter" without any sense of irony at all and I fell off the couch laughing. I'm guessing that character goes back to the 60s or something and to kids back that sounded like a cool, tough name. You can't have a character calling Martian Man Hunter in a movie that takes itself as seriously as Snyder's do though. It's too incongruous.

Alan Moore seems like a bit of a dick but Google's been pushing his interviews at me recently and he's got some interesting things to say on this stuff. The cultures gone weird and superhero movies own a very strange space within that.

Comment

Working...
                              X