Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dahmer Series - Monster

Evan Peters to star, coming to Netflix.

'Monster' chronicles the story of one of America's most notorious serial killers (Peters), largely told from the point of view of Dahmer's victims, and dives deeply into the police incompetence and apathy that allowed the Wisconsin native to go on a multiyear killing spree.

Lots more info here:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/365...eries-monster/
    Ian Jane
    Administrator
    Last edited by Ian Jane; 11-14-2022, 10:11 AM.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Wasn't that already the title of the Aileen Wuornos story? Jeez, get original.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
      Wasn't that already the title of the Aileen Wuornos story? Jeez, get original.
      Yup. The one that Charlize Theron won an Oscar for, no less.

Comment

Watched the first episode on Netflix last night, late to the party I guess. Anyway, it's pretty well done, at least the first episode is. Will give the rest a shot. A fair bit of critical acclaim surrounding this. Anyone else check it out?
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I watched the first 4 episodes and decided I didn't need to witness any more, and 'witness' really feels appropriate for the nature of this program given that we are essentially presented with a front row ticket to Dahmer's atrocities. This is a deliberately sober blow by blow of how he lured and murdered his victims followed by the details of how he dealt with the bodies with an underlying, not too subtle commentary on racism, corruption and incompetence within the police force. Make no mistake - the primary focus, at least in the first 4 eps, is showing us exactly what this person did in ways that almost rival HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER and UNTOLD STORY.

Apparently, this show is second only to Stranger Things in terms of popularity on Netflix. I recently watched a documentary on Joel Peter Witkin and was struck by the similarities between him and Dahmer and their fascination with death and decay. There's a fine line between how each man decided to act on that attraction and I may go back to the Dahmer series eventually to see if it goes beyond simply recreating his crimes and deeper into his psyche. Right now though I've had my fill.
          Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

So it's feel good material, is what you're saying? Ha.

I get where you're coming from. This stuff is interesting to me but it can take a toll on my mental state if I'm not in the right frame of mind for it.

I was also surprised how insanely well it seems to have done on Netflix.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

I was also surprised how insanely well it seems to have done on Netflix.
              My mom - the woman who hated the fact that my dad and I liked TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 so much - watched the whole series and seemed unaffected by it.

"Watched that Jeffrey Dahmer show. It was okay."

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post

My mom - the woman who hated the fact that my dad and I liked TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 so much - watched the whole series and seemed unaffected by it.

"Watched that Jeffrey Dahmer show. It was okay."
                Mom's are weird that way. Mine was here visiting a few weeks ago, we watched The Changeling with her and she liked it but then proceeded to argue with me that it wasn't a horror movie, because she can't accept having enjoyed a horror movie. She instead has to call it a psychological thriller.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ha!

Moms.

Comment

Mom's are weird that way. Mine was here visiting a few weeks ago, we watched The Changeling with her and she liked it but then proceeded to argue with me that it wasn't a horror movie, because she can't accept having enjoyed a horror movie. She instead has to call it a psychological thriller.
                    My mom got pissy when we watched Donnie Brasco because the scumbag criminals in the movie swore too much for her liking, and she said it made them sound ignorant, to which I replied "Well mom, the New Jersey Mafia doesn't tend to recruit from the upper crust of society, so these lowlife thugs talk like lowlife thugs. Who knew?" I never watched another movie with my mom after that one. LOL

Comment

I watched the first 4 episodes and decided I didn't need to witness any more, and 'witness' really feels appropriate for the nature of this program given that we are essentially presented with a front row ticket to Dahmer's atrocities. This is a deliberately sober blow by blow of how he lured and murdered his victims followed by the details of how he dealt with the bodies with an underlying, not too subtle commentary on racism, corruption and incompetence within the police force.
                      So now that I'm a few episodes in (we just finished episode six last night) I'm not sure I completely agree with this assessment. Yes, the 'blow by blow' is definitely part of it but I feel like the show is doing a pretty decent job of trying to get into Dahmer's head at times. I have mixed emotions about all of this, because the man was obviously a monster and what he did was fucking abhorrent, but parts of the series do make you feel sorry for him, as he was clearly bullied, the product of a sketchy home life and obviously not comfortable really coming out to his friends and family. This, of course, in no way excuses what he did - not even close - but it does at least make you wonder if things would have turned out different for him (and more importantly for his victims) if his circumstances in life had been better. If nothing else, the show is well made, very well acted and offers up some thought provoking moments.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Really enjoying this series. Three episodes to go. Evan Peters is really good. I don't know him from anything else really but I guess he's a Marvel guy. That's generally disappointing to me, haha.
                        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Finished the series last night. Overall, very well done I thought. The last episode, without going into spoilers, does an interesting job of addressing Dahmer's conversion to Christianity before his death and the ideas of forgiveness that entails. Niecy Nash, who played Glenda Cleveland, is every bit as good as Even Peters in the lead and I really felt for her character as the story played out. Richard Jenkins is also really good as Lionel Dahmer, Jeffrey's father.

Not sure that it's a series I'll necessarily go back to or that I need to revisit any time soon but I found it worth the watch.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If nothing else, the show is well made, very well acted and offers up some thought provoking moments.
                            It's certainly solid in all regards as a dramatic series. I felt like it offers up Dahmer's trajectory in a way that oddly reminded me of Polanski's THE PIANIST: we watch as this person narrowly escapes capture through a series of fortunate (for him) circumstances. In terms of the why, I don't believe there's much to say about Dahmer's condition other than that his wiring was royally fucked and there are people equally as mis-wired who commit a single crime and are caught early on and there are others that can evade detection for decades. Dahmer absolutely went in directions that we're all still fascinated and repulsed by, but I just got to a point with this series where it felt like I understood him as a damaged individual and witnessing his crimes held no interest for me. That's not to say I thought the show was bad, but rather the subject was grimmer and more depressing than I cared to endure...so I watched TERRIFIER instead.

Comment

It's certainly solid in all regards as a dramatic series. I felt like it offers up Dahmer's trajectory in a way that oddly reminded me of Polanski's THE PIANIST: we watch as this person narrowly escapes capture through a series of fortunate (for him) circumstances. In terms of the why, I don't believe there's much to say about Dahmer's condition other than that his wiring was royally fucked and there are people equally as mis-wired who commit a single crime and are caught early on and there are others that can evade detection for decades. Dahmer absolutely went in directions that we're all still fascinated and repulsed by, but I just got to a point with this series where it felt like I understood him as a damaged individual and witnessing his crimes held no interest for me. That's not to say I thought the show was bad, but rather the subject was grimmer and more depressing than I cared to endure...so I watched TERRIFIER instead.
                              Oh, good move. That's a feel good film for sure.

And you're not wrong about any of what you say. I completely understand why you'd get to the point where you'd think it's too grim, because it's really fucking grim.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X