Night Stalker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Stalker

Watched this 4-part documentary series on Netflix the other day. Interesting stuff. I remember when Richard Ramirez was arrested but I was a 10 year old living in Canada so it isn't like I was hip to the details. This was pretty eye opening. What a twisted fuck. Anyway, the series is pretty well done, some interesting interviews with survivors, cops who worked the cast and more.

Worth seeing if you're into true crime docs.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Like The Mormon Murders, I read a book about him too many years ago (I read a ton of true crime back then). This dude was one evil motherfucker, really sadistic and remorseless. I may have to reconsider my not having Netflix, I would love to see this as well. They seem to have the market cornered on true crime docs. I remember quite well when the crimes were going on, caused a real (understandable) panic in the LA area.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I'll have to check this out, I pay for Netflix but finding something to watch on it is a chore. I watched their documentary series on the Yorkshire Ripper over the Christmas break. If you want to see the devastation that can be caused by fat, incompetent, arrogant police chiefs who would not be shaken from their pet theories then this one's for you. Considering the current debate in the UK about male violence against women, this is very timely. Plus it's a reminder of just how grim the UK was in the 70s.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I found this very interesting. The intensity of that murder spree and the range/diversity of victims and methods of murder is astonishing. Really well-assembled documentary, unlike Netflix's doc on the Yorkshire Ripper which, despite being very slickly produced, felt like both brainwashing and tacky exploitation (and not in the good sense) of the highest order. (I know people who have worked with one of the participants in that documentary, who was given far too much time to espouse some weird views, and the general consensus is that they're a particularly toxic person to work with. I'll refrain from commenting any more about this or being more specific in public.)
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          I'll have to check this out, I pay for Netflix but finding something to watch on it is a chore. I watched their documentary series on the Yorkshire Ripper over the Christmas break. If you want to see the devastation that can be caused by fat, incompetent, arrogant police chiefs who would not be shaken from their pet theories then this one's for you. Considering the current debate in the UK about male violence against women, this is very timely. Plus it's a reminder of just how grim the UK was in the 70s.
          Just seen your post agent999. Whilst I didn't like the Netflix Yorkshire Ripper doc, I agree wholeheartedly about the corruption and ignorance of the Yorkshire police - which, to be fair, the doc suggests was largely a product of the restructuring that destroyed community policing. The doc, as you say, conveys that sense of how bleak the North, in particular, was during the 1970s and 1980s - and still is, arguably. Made me want to reread the David Peace novels.

I suspect some of the protests we saw in London last week were largely provoked by this doc and the raw feelings it stirred up - probably more so than the recent murder. (I know someone - a female officer in the Met - who was on the frontline of those protests, and she said the scene was very ugly, with protesters removing their masks to spit in the faces of the officers on site: this seems to be what provoked the tussle that led to the arrests. She also dropped some information about the 'other' incident which will probably hit the press soon. But this is all slightly off-topic, I guess, so I'll back out of the room quietly...)

One thing I really liked about the Yorkshire Ripper and Night Stalker docs was the use of archival footage. Something that grated on me, though, was the use of the 2.35:1 frame in the Yorkshire Ripper doc. (Was the Night Stalker doc also in 2.35:1? It's been a few weeks since I watched it and I can't recall off-hand.)
          Paul L
          Scholar of Sleaze
          Last edited by Paul L; 03-17-2021, 08:25 PM.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

I guess the JAMs were right. It's grim up North.

Comment

Here's the longer version of that track with more towns mentioned. What a toon!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                I suspect some of the protests we saw in London last week were largely provoked by this doc and the raw feelings it stirred up - probably more so than the recent murder. (I know someone - a female officer in the Met - who was on the frontline of those protests, and she said the scene was very ugly, with protesters removing their masks to spit in the faces of the officers on site: this seems to be what provoked the tussle that led to the arrests. She also dropped some information about the 'other' incident which will probably hit the press soon. But this is all slightly off-topic, I guess, so I'll back out of the room quietly...)
                I agree, I find it concerning how people are being whipped up into a frenzy by groups with ulterior motives and not even knowing it, and if you question them you get branded as some kind of evil bastard. I think we're on our way back to the 70s with unions exploiting the pandemic (threats of nurses and Openreach going on strike so no internet) when they should be kicking off when we're out of this state of emergency.

As for firearms police, don't get me started! I know one, and I know many regular police who seem to agree what an arrogant bunch of dicks with God complexes they are. The centre of my town is cordoned off at the moment as the Met police are searching for evidence regarding this murder.

Comment

I'll give that Ripper series a watch, Netflix recommended it after I finished Night Stalker so it's been on my radar.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So 3 episodes into The Ripper and it's good but not as good. It is too long, they really could have tightened up the pacing and I've still got the last episode to watch yet.

Still, it was a case I knew absolutely nothing about so I'm not finding it dull or anything.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      So 3 episodes into The Ripper and it's good but not as good. It is too long, they really could have tightened up the pacing and I've still got the last episode to watch yet.

Still, it was a case I knew absolutely nothing about so I'm not finding it dull or anything.
                      If it's piqued your interest, Ian, you may wish to check out RED RIDING or the David Peace novels on which it's based (1974, 1977, 1981 and 1983) which cover the period of the Yorkshire Ripper's activities but take a broad look at the culture of the era.

Comment

Interesting, thanks Paul. Finished it this afternoon. Wow, did those cops ever bungle this case!
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          Interesting, thanks Paul. Finished it this afternoon. Wow, did those cops ever bungle this case!
                          Absolutely. I knew Sutcliffe had been interviewed by the police prior to being arrested, but not the sheer number of times that he slipped through the net.

Comment

Watching Sons of Sam. Utter bullshit. I think those god is an astronaut shows have more grounding in fact than this.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                              Watching Sons of Sam. Utter bullshit. I think those god is an astronaut shows have more grounding in fact than this.
                              I had that on for about 15 minutes. the covering of the murders is fine, but once they start getting into Room 237 territory, no thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X