Danny Boyle's Sex Pistols limited series "Pistol"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
    I would definitely recommend folks to Julien Temple's FILTH & THE FURY (2000). Temple also contributed to THE GREAT ROCK AND ROLL SWINDLE (1980) which is pretty crazy but has the benefit of being made at the time - believe it or not, it actually started out as a Russ Meyer film! And, the Doc D.O.A. (1980) has some good material
    I like all of those films for sure. I think that Filth and the Fury is kinda the definitive documentary on the Pistols, and it's nice to see Temple re-use some of the animation sequences from Swindle. Lydon commented on the Russ Meyer aspect in one of his books saying that he didn't like Meyer because he was a dirty old pervert who just wanted to film the band with a bunch of topless women on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
      I like all of those films for sure. I think that Filth and the Fury is kinda the definitive documentary on the Pistols, and it's nice to see Temple re-use some of the animation sequences from Swindle. Lydon commented on the Russ Meyer aspect in one of his books saying that he didn't like Meyer because he was a dirty old pervert who just wanted to film the band with a bunch of topless women on the beach.
      Those scenes would have made it more enjoyable, at least! Apparently, Marianne Faithful turned down the project because of Meyer's rep. And, yeah, in his own snotty way, Johnny Rotten can be a bit of a prudish killjoy

Comment

Shockingly, John Lydon is not happy about this. Sad about his wife, however.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/john-l...-legal-action/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Legal action likely won't get him anywhere. He was also ranting about the guy who played him in Sid and Nancy, and that got beat down as well.

Comment

Legal action likely won't get him anywhere. He was also ranting about the guy who played him in Sid and Nancy, and that got beat down as well.
            He's always threatening legal action, I can't recall him ever going through with it though. It keeps him in the tabloids in the UK. A couple of months ago The Sun had exclusive photos of him getting fried chicken delivered, pretty mind blowing that one. Lydon eats food. Fuck me...
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              I haven't seen that Petty doc, I'll have to take a couple evenings and watch it soon. I'm hit or miss on him as well but I'd be interested in seeing how Bogdanovich handles it.

Mark, if you ever want to see a documentary on the guy who invented the country/rock sound that The Eagles later cashed in on, check out GRAM PARSONS FALLEN ANGEL. Really fascinating story of a guy whose life was riddled with tragedy.
              This is going to sound nuts, but the docudrama miniseries Subete a mi Moto on Prime is actually pretty interesting. It documents the history of Menudo, the infamous Puerto Rican boy band.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                This is going to sound nuts, but the docudrama miniseries Subete a mi Moto on Prime is actually pretty interesting. It documents the history of Menudo, the infamous Puerto Rican boy band.
                I didn't know that existed, but yeah, I can definitely see how that'd be interesting.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

did anyone else have the "Menudo Minute" back in the day where there'd be a Menudo video in between shows?

Comment

did anyone else have the "Menudo Minute" back in the day where there'd be a Menudo video in between shows?
                    Yep! And I have a few comic books with advertisements for Saturday morning cartoons that include mention of Menudo in them.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Yep! And I have a few comic books with advertisements for Saturday morning cartoons that include mention of Menudo in them.
                      Right on!

Comment

IIRC Menudo minute aired on ABC. I know they would show them during the Rubik's Cube cartoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                          It does sound a bit nuts, haha. But I'll take your word for it.
                          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Well, now. This looks like a trainwreck. Will definitely check it out.

Comment

Haven't read Jones book. Saw episode 1 of this last night. Not bad. Got ep 2 on now.

Comment

Working...
                                X