Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Prisoner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Prisoner

    I thought we already had a thread for this but I guess now.

    Anyway, we've been watching it lately, this is Alison's first time going through it but I think it's the fourth time for me.

    Still one of my favorite television series of all time, such a great mix of humor, drama and suspense, even some decent action here and there, but odd surrealist touches.

    If Patrick McGoohan isn't quite a one man wrecking crew here, he comes close and he does a great job. Fun to see some interesting supporting players pop up here and there as well.

    Will have more to say once we finish it - for obvious reasons I'm avoiding spoilers here, but just wanted to start a thread for others to chime in on.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	patrickmcgoohan_theprisoner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	371446
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  • #2
    Heard about the show for years. Then not long after Sci FI Channel started they were airing it every Sunday at 9pm. Caught it with ep 1 and watched the entire thing,was also smart enough to tape each episode.

    Love the show so much. Made me track down the DC published sequel comic. And hell I have owned the series on a few formats now,vhs laserdisc and DVD.

    Comment


    • #3
      My grandfather was a bit fan, first time I watched it was with him one summer. He had taped it off of A&E I think. From there I got the DVD set and then the Blu-ray set.

      I remember the DC sequel being pretty decent. I still have it but haven't read it in ages. Once we finish the series I'll pull it out for a re-read.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

      Comment


      • #4
        The first half dozen episodes are superb - some of the best fantastic TV on screen.

        And, then...it kind of went the way a lot of series Television as it stretched and pulled the story to fit the number of episodes rather than just telling it's tale. The BBC gave contradictory signals about how long the show should run and added and cut the order. When the word came that the there would be a definite end in a few weeks, it kind of got slapped together and the finale is still being debated decades later. I kind of dig it, but, it's still less impactful as it could have been because of all the awkward scenes off the island in previous episodes.

        Great opening episodes, though
        JoeS
        Senior Member
        Last edited by JoeS; 01-04-2021, 11:52 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Too drunk/tired/occupied with a writing project to contribute something meaningful to this threat at the mo - but have a long history with this show and will drop by at a later date to say something more profound.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

          http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

          Comment


          • #6
            It would have played much better as a limited series. It's a really fun concept well executed to start with but as it continues the shark jumpage is extreme. I skipped out around the episode that has the evil computer which like all evil computers in the 60s can be exploded by asking it something banal like 'what is love?' Just asked my Google Machine and it gave a pretty solid definition in .000061 seconds. Not even a puff of smoke.

            Production design, cinematography and whatnot so much better than what you expect from a British program of the time though and I can't think of another program of the time that had such a surreal setup. My favourite old Brit SciFi was Blake's 7. It's hard to imagine that show being made without The Prisoner to pave the way.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

            Comment


            • #7
              I love this show so much, and I happy when my daughter watched it with me and loved it just as much. The audacity of a show that just fucks with the viewer every single episode is brilliant, yet the show never came off as pretentious for it.
              Darcy Parker
              Senior Member
              Last edited by Darcy Parker; 01-04-2021, 11:08 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                I love this show so much, and I happy when my daughter watched it with me and loved it just as much. The audacity of a show that just fucks with the viewer every single episode is brilliant, yet the show never came off as pretentious for it,
                Was there more to this or did you hit the comma instead of the period key? Either way, cool that you got your kid into it. I'm not sure mine would enjoy it, and they're generally really open minded about TV/movies/etc.

                I think a big part of what makes the show work so well for me is McGoohan's performance, how he can go from calm, cool and collected to lean, mean fighting machine almost like a switch was flipped. Of course, other actors can and do do this as well but he does it with such a weird vibe and I guess maybe it's the contrast with this performance, as frequently intense as it is, and the serene setting The Village that gives it a certain something that never fails to draw me in.

                I can see Dom's point about it jumping the shark but I'm not sure I agree simply because even the later part of the series really works for me.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Was there more to this or did you hit the comma instead of the period key? Either way, cool that you got your kid into it. I'm not sure mine would enjoy it, and they're generally really open minded about TV/movies/etc.

                  I think a big part of what makes the show work so well for me is McGoohan's performance, how he can go from calm, cool and collected to lean, mean fighting machine almost like a switch was flipped. Of course, other actors can and do do this as well but he does it with such a weird vibe and I guess maybe it's the contrast with this performance, as frequently intense as it is, and the serene setting The Village that gives it a certain something that never fails to draw me in.

                  I can see Dom's point about it jumping the shark but I'm not sure I agree simply because even the later part of the series really works for me.
                  Wrong key, fixed now.

                  I don't think the show ever jumped the shark, there's a clear thread that whoever ran the Village was continuously escalating the weirdness as a form of psychological warfare to break Number 6, but his will was just too strong, so it all just plays off as campy to the viewer.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've really been enjoying this show.
                    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So, our rewatch finally completed the other day. I still really like the final episode. It's.... fucking nuts.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You've seen this, I imagine?



                        When THE PRISONER aired in the 70s in Ontario (on OECA, later TVO) it was treated like high literature. Warner Troyer explained things after each episode, and there was homework. They made a reader's guide for it:

                        http://www.josephdickerson.com/wp-co...ner-Puzzle.pdf

                        I smuggled a copy to the States for a guy. Now you just have to click. Kids today.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	prisoner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	359432

                          Kind of makes ya think.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                            When THE PRISONER aired in the 70s in Ontario (on OECA, later TVO) it was treated like high literature. Warner Troyer explained things after each episode, and there was homework. They made a reader's guide for it:

                            http://www.josephdickerson.com/wp-co...ner-Puzzle.pdf

                            I smuggled a copy to the States for a guy. Now you just have to click. Kids today.
                            This is great - thank you very much for sharing this!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks to Joseph Dickerson.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X