RIP Quibi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Quibi

Katzenbergs $2.4 billion white elephant has officially called it quits. Always seemed like a stupid idea to me. The concept, as I understand it, was that commuters would use a spare 8 minutes to watch an episode of Quibi. No chance. If people only have 8 minutes to spare they'll spend it dicking around on instagram. That period of time isn't even enough to select what you want to watch on most services.

I'm seeing lots of schadenfraude and absolutely no one grieving its passing. Anyone here signed up for it?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Thank god. As you say, it was a horrendously bad idea. I usually think that most of these bullshit startups backed by billionaires are kind of dumb, but this one stuck out to me as the dumbest of the lot.

I am sort of relieved that people are not quite as retarded as Katzenberg etc thought.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

That was quick. I saw an article saying that 90% of those who signed up left after the free trial ended. That's not really a sustainable business model.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Never even heard of it until it went tits up.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          That was quick.
          Indeed. Only a few weeks ago the service had blanket advertising on TV here. To go from that to gone in such a short space of time is pretty impressive.

Wonder where the content is going to wind up. Some of it looks vaguely watchable. Or if not watchable at least very high production value. Quibi apparently spent over a hundred thousand dollars for every minute of telly produced.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I enjoyed the Reno 911 comeback season. And Sam Raimi's horror series was at least worth the watch. But yeah, that wasn't enough to justify a whole streaming service based on a terrible gimmick.

Comment

Working...
            X