Shameless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shameless

Only a few episodes into this but it's pretty funny. William H. Macy is great in it, he plays a surly drunk well. It's a lot raunchier than I figured it would be but the family dynamic is handled well.

Anyone else check this out? I realize we're late to the party as the series is like a decade old but it's on Netflix now.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I watched the first couple of series of the original UK version, but it went on forever so I got tired of it. Never felt compelled to check out the US version, but if it's on UK Netflix I might try it out as I'm constantly trying to find some reason to keep subscribing. It's certainly not their library of films.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I loved this show. When someone here asked for the best series of the last decade, I had this as one of them. Macy was great and they rarely tried to "humanize" him as often happens for long running series. Just one more season left, not sure when it will appear (or even if it was filmed before the lockdowns).

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Wood View Post
        Macy was great and they rarely tried to "humanize" him as often happens for long running series.
        We're only 5 episodes in but I've noticed this and it's a big part of what makes the show interesting. People really are crazy assholes!
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Jesus, I see they even cast a look-alike to play the Fiona character. I don't think this is quite as outrageous as the UK version, but I haven't seen it in over a decade so perhaps I'm mis-remembering. It also loses something not being set on a council estate (think Projects), although maybe I'm just more familiar with that (not that I regularly visit them).

Still, it's entertaining enough to have on in the background when working on the same mind numbing shit that I've been doing for the last nine years.

Comment

One of my favorite shows.

Comment

I'm all caught up. I love it, but I thought that the Fiona character ends up being the weakest in the series. It gets batshitter crazi....er as it goes on. I tried to watch the UK series after the fact, but couldn't get into it.

Comment

The newest season I didnt really miss Fiona.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                  The newest season I didnt really miss Fiona.
                  Especially because Carl steps up hahaha.

Comment

One of the weirdest TV moments of the past 20 years was seeing Pauline McLynn (Mrs Doyle from FATHER TED) in some quite graphic sex scenes in SHAMELESS (the original UK version).
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Carl has been great for the past 3 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                        One of the weirdest TV moments of the past 20 years was seeing Pauline McLynn (Mrs Doyle from FATHER TED) in some quite graphic sex scenes in SHAMELESS (the original UK version).
                        On and off screen with a certain cast member (or cast's member) if the tabloids are to be believed.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                          Carl has been great for the past 3 seasons.
                          I found that originally, William H. Macy was the big draw, who then took a back seat to Lip, who then took a back seat to Carl. Never enjoyed Fiona, she's just a goddam trainwreck who you can rely on to constantly make dumb decisions, but not in the humourous way that the rest of the family does. Carl rules. Ian was alright at first, but got annoying, but I love the Micky and his whole family. Pissed me off that we never saw Mandy again.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                            On and off screen with a certain cast member (or cast's member) if the tabloids are to be believed.
                            Yes, indeed. I read an interview with her year or two back where she said that this was quite a traumatic time in her life, and sort of vaguely hinted that she was drinking heavily or perhaps imbibing something a little more potent when she was working on SHAMELESS.

EDIT. Reading about it, didn't Threlfall get McLynn fired from the show after news of their (alleged) affair began to circulate?
                            Paul L
                            Scholar of Sleaze
                            Last edited by Paul L; 08-21-2020, 03:40 PM.
                            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I liked the first seasons, but it gradually lost me. William H Macy is a pure joy though. It is just that I can't be bothered with his family and friends, as they are nowhere near as fun and entertaining as him.

I remember liking the UK version as well, but its been so long since I saw any of it, I can't really vouch for it or anything.
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                              X