• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovecraft Country

Coming soon to HBO...

edit - trailer taken down.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've seen the trailer a few times and I flat out can't decide if that looks watchable or not. What I do know though is that when it comes out there's gonna be a lot of reviewers giving it 10/10 and a lot giving it a 1/10 and very little inbetween.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

The title makes me picture Cthulhu in a cowboy hat, strumming a banjo.

Comment

Originally posted by Curwen
        What is the ultimate purpose or goal in titling the books - and now this TV series - "Lovecraft Country"?
        Here's one answer:

"Who Was H.P. Lovecraft, the Disgraced Namesake of HBO's 'Lovecraft Country'?"

Comment

Guy born in 19th century Providence was massive racist. Shock, horror. Dunno. Maybe I'm too relaxed about the morals of the people who make my entertainment. A little while back i was asked what I thought of Michael Jackson and replied "he's my third favourite paedophile."* Didn't go down well.

*Polanski and Allen taking the top two spots.
          Last edited by Dom D; 07-15-2020, 06:14 AM.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
            Guy born in 19th century Providence was massive racist. Shock, horror. Dunno.
            This piece is a refreshing antidote to the "Cancel Lovecraft" brigade: https://bookandfilmglobe.com/creator...ovecraft-wars/

(It got around to Ramsey Campbell, seeing he's one of the commenters thus far!)

Comment

One episode in. So far the highlight is lots of eviscerations and decapitations. That's enough for me to give it the thumbs up at the moment. I so far remain ungripped by the plot but the actors are good, the production values are excellent and the gore is plentiful. So bring on the next one.

I didn't know they were doling these out episode by episode so when ep 1 finished and the app asked me if I wanted to continue I clicked yes. All of a sudden the lush 50s setting was replaced by a modern day one, with a new all black cast and a new horror story. Long story short, I watched some completely unrelated movie for one full hour waiting for it to link back to the period setting of Lovecraft Country. I assumed these were going to be the grand kids of the actors in the first episode or something. Wasn't a bad movie actually though I clicked stop on it in disgust at my blunder and now I don't know what it was to finish it.
              Last edited by Dom D; 08-19-2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

My wife and I endured the first episode.

Verdict: woke crap with mediocre horror elements.

Comment

I liked the book well enough, but the changes look like they're a little too on the nose. I need to log HBO back in and check it out.

Comment

S1 coming to Blu-ray 2/16/21.

https://amzn.to/37EIUR0

Click image for larger version

Name:	81RZXJsCpkL._SX342_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	359156
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Michael K. Williams has passed away.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/the-wire...d-dead-age-54/
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Aw man. He was a great actor. I especially loved him as Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire. What a tragedy.

RIP.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

He was perfect in Hap and Leonard.
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                            He was perfect in Hap and Leonard.
                            Yep. I went looking last night,appears only season 1 of H&L got a DVD release.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                              Yep. I went looking last night,appears only season 1 of H&L got a DVD release.
                              The whole series is on Netflix, no? I loved season 1, but was a bit let down with season 2 (Brian Dennehy was great, though). I didn't watch season 3 yet.
                              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
                              X