No announcement yet.

Yellowstone - Taylor Sheridan, Kevin Costner - Paramount Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting interview with the head of the Paramount Network regarding the future of YELLOWSTONE.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/2019...ow-might-last/

"What I love about it is, it has a very consistent, authentic voice; Taylor has written every episode, which is very rare," Cox told the outlet, after admitting he was "pleasantly shocked" by the growth and revealing Sheridan had always assured him the show would "blow up in Season 2."

As for how much longer the show can go on? Cox said that Sheridan has an ending in mind for the Dutton family's journey.

"There is a life span; Taylor has an ending, he knows how he wants to wrap the series with a satisfying ending for the family over many seasons." Cox told the publication. He also revealed that he has already discussed how a potential Season 4 would end, with the whole series likely wrapping up after Season 6 or 7 at least.
    I was hoping it would only go 3 maybe 4 seasons. I hate shows that drag on and on. Then again if they can keep up the quality I will definitely stick around. I'm glad it's been such a ratings darling and a critical success!
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

I was hoping it would only go 3 maybe 4 seasons. I hate shows that drag on and on. Then again if they can keep up the quality I will definitely stick around. I'm glad it's been such a ratings darling and a critical success!
      If they are only going for 8-10 episode seasons, 7 isn't too much at all. I trust that there's a guiding vision to keep it on pace the whole way.

Comment

That's true. I do wish the seasons were longer but I guess it works out the same either way. I'm already jonesing for more!

Comment

They need to be careful though, and not get GAME OF THRONES syndrome where the later seasons felt rushed and the writing also fell off (I personally still liked the last season but it was definitely rushed). This particular show doesn't feel like a 7 season type to me but I'd love to be proved wrong. Feels like dragging storylines out to the hilt.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            They need to be careful though, and not get GAME OF THRONES syndrome where the later seasons felt rushed and the writing also fell off (I personally still liked the last season but it was definitely rushed). This particular show doesn't feel like a 7 season type to me but I'd love to be proved wrong. Feels like dragging storylines out to the hilt.
            Game of Thrones had that problem due to starting as an adaptation of a series of books, but getting to the end of what the author had written years before the books wrapped up. I don't think we'll see that kind of shift on Yellowstone if it's all being written by one great screenwriter, which it is.

Also, we have no idea what's coming in the future. For all we know, the first two seasons may just have been the prologue to bigger things, and honestly, the end of season two definitely felt that way.

Comment

That's what I like so much about YELLOWSTONE, the consistency and the vision of one creator. I honestly don't watch much TV, especially what's consider hot. I feel like I'm the only person who never watched GAME OF THRONES. I didn't watch DEADWOOD until a couple months before the movie came out.

One thing YELLOWSTONE does that grabs me that other shows don't have is the cinematography and the music. I think that's what makes it feel so cinematic to me. It all feels very fresh. LONGMIRE had similar beautiful locations set in Wyoming but it wasn't shot as lovingly. DEADWOOD as great as it was always looked a bit cheap to me. It felt like a tv show. There was rarely a long shot or a wide establishing shot. I can't recall one note of the music. Same with TRUE DETECTIVE. WESTWORLD looks and sounds great but I just can't get into the second season at all. It feels a bit too random and convoluted after season one. I have short patience these days. I can watch an endless amount of Jess Franco flicks but for some reason TV tends to lose me fast because it becomes all about the plot and if the plot isn't focused then there's no reason to stick around. I think the better shows, IMO, like Deadwood, Longmire, Taboo, Yellowstone, True Detective, keep me entertained more because of the characters rather than the plot. I've read far too many comic books to be entertained anymore by endless mcguffins and metaphysical plots that don't resolve themselves. These days I just want strong characterization and straightforward adventure. I want to be touched and I want to be thrilled. Taylor Sheridan seems to understand what an audience wants. I hope the Paramount Network continues to let him do his thing without getting in the way.

Several recurring characters from the first two seasons have been bumped up to series regulars for the third season. "Gil Birmingham (who plays Chief Thomas Rainwater), Denim Richards (who plays ranch hand Colby) and Forrie J. Smith (who plays ranch hand Lloyd Pierce) have also been promoted to series regulars for Season 3." I really love Gil Birmingham and hope with season three his role is much bigger.

And a bunch of new faces have been added to the cast: "Edin Brolin (Josh Brolin's daughter), Josh Holloway, John Emmet Tracy, Q'orianka Kilcher, Jennifer Landon and Karen Pittman." I have no idea who any of these people are.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/2019...nnouncement/#1

Comment

Kilcher is the cousin of Jewel, the singer who was big in the mid-90s and was Pocahontas in The New World and the housekeeper in the first season of The Alienist. She's a decent enough actress, nothing super amazing. That's the only one I recognize.

Comment

This finally got released in Australia and I was keen to check it out. There's a pretty big disparity between the sentiment here and the reviews. After 4 episodes I'm entertained enough to keep going but I probably side more with the reviewers than folks here.

I'm always a bit suspicious of a drama that's not funny. Not that they should be playing for laughs but my feeling is comedy is a natural by product of good dramatic writing. It's certainly a very manly show, only having one sigunificant female character and she's always naked or talking about sex. What's really stopping me getting into it though is I feel the storytelling is a bit wierd. Jacy for instance, can't leave the house without having to shoot someone. Killed 4 people in the first 4 episodes. It strains creduilty.

Still I see season 2 has much better reviews so I will persevere.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Oh I agree, in many ways it's kind of rote isn't it? I keep thinking, "I bet my grandmother would like this if she was still around." Look at the twitter account for YELLOWSTONE it's almost entirely older white women. It was the same thing with LONGMIRE, even more so really. I started reading the books by Craig Johnson and went to a book signing and it was entirely the blue haired crowd. But that's what I like about it. Both shows are throwback pseudo westerns and take their time. The leads are old tough guys and the stories are pretty straightforward, like a soap opera. There's a bit of a Charles Bronson / Lee Marvin swagger that infuses everything in a way that isn't really shown much any more, an eagerness to cut through the crap. But I agree, it's just DALLAS with a fresh coat of paint.

There's enough humor for me with the bunkhouse boys and Jimmy getting into trouble. But I do agree that it's often ridiculously dour but I like that.

Dom, have you seen any of Taylor Sheridan's films? HELL OR HIGH WATER, SICARIO, WIND RIVER. I feel it's pretty consistent with those. The first few episodes are a bit slow and there's a lot of world building, but I think that's what I fell in love with the most, that world, the music and the atmosphere.

Comment

I did see Hell Or High Water and I liked it a lot actually. Sicario was ok too. I didn't know it was the same guy. I binged the rest of Season 1 today while I was getting some work done today. It finished stronger than it started and I'm into it now. Kevin Costner is really carrying the show for me though. That's a great character and I like his simple take on the world. There's a lot to be said for getting an honest to god movie star to lead your tv show. I've never even liked Costnerbut the show always feels much more assured when he's on screen. The kids are more problematic. They're very one dimensional, particualrly the daughter. I think she's suppossed to be a highlight of the show but she grates me badly. She's so coarse and she never mixes up the performance, just sticking with that one surly note.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Oh yeah Beth is totally unrealistic. I almost gave up after the second episode because I just could not stand her. She is now my favorite character (after Jimmy of course).

I'm glad you stuck it out and ended up liking it! I never liked Costner either but I keep finding myself liking actors I didn't like all that much when they were younger. Something about an older actor being just the right fit for a western and all their old gruff finally clicking for me. The kids definitely all have issues. John Dutton addresses it in one of the episodes, something to the effect of everything was ok when the mom was alive but once she kicked it he's been at a loss on how to handle everything and has slowly lost his grip on the kids and the ranch since that fateful event.

I'll be interested in your thoughts of season 2 if you decide to continue on.

Comment

I've got two episodes left in season 2 - man, this show is gripping. Dom, if you think Beth is coarse now, wait'll you see how nasty she is in season 2 (poor Jamie). She gets some of the best lines and her insults are absolutely savage. I think you're going to love her after a certain episode this season. I've always sort of liked Costner - even though he's a bit bland - but this is the best he's ever been. He's a more convincing actor now that's he's not as much of a pretty boy. My favourite characters are Rip, Lloyd, Monica and, of course, Jimmy (*SPOILER* I hope Lloyd helps him get the belt buckle back from those asshole meth heads *END SPOILERS*). Can't wait to see how this season ends.
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I really love Lloyd too. He's been bumped up to series regular for season 3 which makes me very happy. That one scene with him and Jimmy brought tears of joy to my eyes, and Lloyd's too!

Matt, those last two episodes of season 2 are spectacular. Really all of season 2. I can't believe I have to wait 7 more months for the next season. sigh.

Comment

We are 7 weeks away from the Season 3 Premier on Sunday, June 21st, Fathers Day! It's already been renewed for Season 4.

So far all we got is a teaser that doesn't really show much. I'm guessing we should be seeing a full trailer in the next couple of weeks.

And a short behind the scenes look at the upcoming Season...

Comment

I wish the Paramonut Network in Canada wasn't a complete joke: all they show is lame reality shows like "Bar Rescue" and "Lip Sync Battle" for hours on end. They'll show maybe one movie a week and that's it. It's a pointless channel.
                                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
                                X