• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dom D
    replied
    Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    The Gold on Paramount+ / BBC

British, based on a true story, miniseries about the Brink's robbery in 1983.

Very good.
    The Gold was most excellent. The line on it between being a true story and fiction gets a bit too blurry at times though. At the end when they give the rundown on how everyone's life turned out plays really weird when they leave out major characters because those characters were fictional.

Leave a comment:

• The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    The Gold on Paramount+ / BBC

British, based on a true story, miniseries about the Brink's robbery in 1983.

Very good.

Leave a comment:

• The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    Stumbled on Hapless AKA The Jewish Enquirer ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10147894/reference/ ) on a local streaming service. Had no expetations, but it was the funniest thing I have seen in ages.
    The Silly Swede
    Last edited by The Silly Swede; 02-18-2024, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    The Offer on Paramount+ is really good.
    The Offer was great. For anyone checking that one out, the first episode is fucking diabolical. i think that's why the reviews aren't good, I think most of the reviewers stopped there and if I had less time available I owuld have too. After that though it is a most excellent telling of the Godfather production.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    The Offer on Paramount+ is really good.

Leave a comment:

• Biliousss

• Biliousss
    replied
    Also..previewed the first 15 seconds of booze Britain on tubi. Will be checking this out. In that small timeframe they showed butt boobs and dick. Looks like some odd combo of cops and girls gone wild.

Leave a comment:

• Biliousss

• Biliousss
    replied
    I’m about to watch the original again and 2 for the first time. I expected season 2 to be awful but they did a good job mixing things up. Like a good goofy film sequel they give mick some more character.
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post

I've watched the first season which I thought was pretty good. Got season two sitting in my unwatched pile of discs. The biggest problem is that the second movie is a hard act to follow.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Originally posted by Biliousss View Post
    Wolf creek seasons 1 & 2 on tubi. Not great not terrible.
    I've watched the first season which I thought was pretty good. Got season two sitting in my unwatched pile of discs. The biggest problem is that the second movie is a hard act to follow.

Leave a comment:

• Biliousss

• Biliousss
    replied
    Wolf creek seasons 1 & 2 on tubi. Not great not terrible.

Leave a comment:

• JLG

• JLG
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I ended up really liking it too. As you say, it can be a bit difficult to get into because it's hard to see where it's going. Well where it was going was wierd and I'm happy with that. Its interesting to see tv take those kind of chances and be so edgy and then by contrast you watch a movie like Saltburn, that desperately wants to be edgy, and it just wraps itself up so cleanly that there's nothing of interest left at the end.
    did not know anything about The Curse before i watched it except for the teaser

this totally surprised me where it went cuz i kept thinking a chicken was going to come out...

anyway, i'd like to see more mainstream shows/movies that leave you wondering

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Originally posted by JLG View Post

just finished this. funny you mention Cousin Greg cuz this show reminded me of Succession quite a bit, as far as unlikable characters go.

was kind of going back and forth between liking it and losing interest until the third episode. ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

think i might give this one another watch again on some timeofffromwork coming up
    I ended up really liking it too. As you say, it can be a bit difficult to get into because it's hard to see where it's going. Well where it was going was wierd and I'm happy with that. Its interesting to see tv take those kind of chances and be so edgy and then by contrast you watch a movie like Saltburn, that desperately wants to be edgy, and it just wraps itself up so cleanly that there's nothing of interest left at the end.

Leave a comment:

• JLG

• JLG
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    The Curse:

The Safdie brothers make a move into tv and bring, oddly, Nathan Fielder along with them. This is still just 3 episodes in but it's a bit of fun so far. Fielder and Stone are a couple of reality tv doofuses who have almost convinced themselves that they are gentrifying a slum town out of the goodness of their own hearts. It's quite possible this show is not going anywhere but it's had some very odd moments so far. There's a sex scene in the first ep that will stick with me... Stone's always good and Fielder is doing a performance halfway between Justin Bateman and Cousin Greg. I swear he studied the shit out of Cousin Greg before camera's rolled.

just finished this. funny you mention Cousin Greg cuz this show reminded me of Succession quite a bit, as far as unlikable characters go.

was kind of going back and forth between liking it and losing interest until the third episode. ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

think i might give this one another watch again on some timeofffromwork coming up

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    Slow horses season 3 is on AppleTV+. Still great. Not on the insane "Best series ever made" lever as seasons 1 and 2, but still great.
    I like this show more the longer it runs. Goes without saying that Oldman is spectacular but I always enjoy a good seige storyline and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ties off this week.

There's a bit on at the moment. Reachers back.It's a bit conventional for me but I do enjoy the guy playing the lead.

I've recently started Search Party. It's a chaotic comedy about the most unpleasant twenty somethings you've ever met who kill a guy and try to cover it up. You despise everyone in the show but you are meant to, so its fine.

Nicholas Winding Refn has a new TV show. Now before you get too excited I should point out that it is The Famous Five. That has to be about the most unlikely creator/show combination imaginable. Damned if it doesn't work though. It even feels Refn-esque at times, like the opening credits or when Georges first words to the other famous five are 'do you want to see a dead body?'. They do.

Fargo back. It's got John Hamm this season though on the whole it feels like it's dragging a bit despite the cast.

Leave a comment:

• The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    Slow horses season 3 is on AppleTV+. Still great. Not on the insane "Best series ever made" lever as seasons 1 and 2, but still great.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    The Curse:

The Safdie brothers make a move into tv and bring, oddly, Nathan Fielder along with them. This is still just 3 episodes in but it's a bit of fun so far. Fielder and Stone are a couple of reality tv doofuses who have almost convinced themselves that they are gentrifying a slum town out of the goodness of their own hearts. It's quite possible this show is not going anywhere but it's had some very odd moments so far. There's a sex scene in the first ep that will stick with me... Stone's always good and Fielder is doing a performance halfway between Justin Bateman and Cousin Greg. I swear he studied the shit out of Cousin Greg before camera's rolled.

Squid Game: The Challenge:

I've been watching a bunch of Korean and Japanese reality shows recently and was disappointed when this turned out to be American. The Koreans are just- well, they're just wonderful. That said the Americans kind of work here. That thing that Americans on tv have where they seem to have this self image of themselves as heroes in their own worlds works well for this material.

This is probably the best reality show in recent memory. The producers consistently find ways to make the contestants make the most unpleasant choices available at all times. There's a brutality to it that's very in keeping with the original show. Damn, now I want proper Squid Game season 2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X