No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Range: People keep invoking Lynch and twin Peaks when talking about this show. I guess that's everyones go to when things start to feel surreal. I'm 6 episodes in right now though and I suspect everything in this show is going to have an explanation. Nothing feels psychological. It's more like Dark. Yellowstone meets Dark. I'm on the fence leaning towards the disappointed side. Good cast. Fun concept. The execution is frustrating in the way that doles out information. I have a feeling the final reveal is going to be disappointing so I want to get there faster and get it over with. Still it's got Josh Brolin on a horse. Gotta count for something.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      Outer Range: People keep invoking Lynch and twin Peaks when talking about this show. I guess that's everyones go to when things start to feel surreal. I'm 6 episodes in right now though and I suspect everything in this show is going to have an explanation. Nothing feels psychological. It's more like Dark. Yellowstone meets Dark. I'm on the fence leaning towards the disappointed side. Good cast. Fun concept. The execution is frustrating in the way that doles out information. I have a feeling the final reveal is going to be disappointing so I want to get there faster and get it over with. Still it's got Josh Brolin on a horse. Gotta count for something.

not sure if i will watch a second season of this.

as much as i disliked the Billy character's occasional singing i thought the bit in the bank with Vanessa Williams' "Save the Best for Last" was pretty funny

Comment

Then there's The Offer. A 10 part series about the making of The Godfather with Miles Teller as Al Ruddy. I've only watched the first episode. Going in I was thinking, how are they going to stretch this out for ten episodes? I was then surprised that it starts before the books even written. Ah okay, I figure, so we have some ground to cover. Not so. By the end of the episode the books a smash hit, there's a picture deal signed, Ruddy is producing, Coppola is on board to direct and the mafia is planning protests in the background. Well fuck me. If they're moving at that sort of pace episode two should finish with Coppola receiving the Oscar for the Godfather Part 2. Everything is very easy in this show so far. Got me thinking they would have been better off making a Bob Evans tv show. Each week Bob Evans wheels and deals and shags. I'd watch that. I'm not sure I'll watch this.

Wow I was wrong twice in one post. First by not recommending Super Pumped and then by not singing the praises of The Offer. I maintain the first episode is pretty dodgy. Maybe they watched they the pilot and realised they were off course on this one. After the first episode this gets really good. If you have any interest in the Godfather at all I highly recommend. It's a cracking tale full of big characters.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLG View Post

not sure if i will watch a second season of this.

as much as i disliked the Billy character's occasional singing i thought the bit in the bank with Vanessa Williams' "Save the Best for Last" was pretty funny
          If there is a second season. Broln is super non-committal, whining about long days, tough location and big egos. It's an interesting stance to take given this was clearly meant to have a season 2. There's not a lot of resolution at the end of season 1 which wound up being more opaque than I expected. I'd probably watch a second.

Comment

• Our Flag Means Death - This period romantic comedy plays rather like What We Do In The Shadows, except with vampires swapped for pirates, so I was unsurprised to realize that it was not only produced by Taika Watiti but he also stars in it as Blackbeard, which is just as great as it sounds. Given his involvement, I was also unsurprised to see that the show is charming and delightful. What I was surprised about was to get a show about Stede “The Gentleman Pirate” Bonnet, being played with flamboyant panache by Rhys Darby. Oh, and it’s cheerfully queer as the day is long, which is a nice change of pace. Certainly recommended, especially to What We Do In The Shadows fans, which should be everyone.

Tokyo Vice - I’ve been meaning to read the memoir the show is loosely based on for ages but thankfully I put it off long enough that it was finally produced into a TV series so I could just watch that instead. And, given that it’s produced by Michael Mann (who also directed the first episode), I didn’t take much convincing to give this a shot. Set in the late 90s, it’s about a young guy (played with a painful amount of earnest fumbling by Ansel “Baby” Elgort) who becomes the first Westerner to be a reporter for a prestigous Japanese newspaper. He starts out on the crime beat and immediately stumbles into yakuza politics, cop politics (featuring an awesomely gruff Ken Watanabe as a grizzled detective), hostess club politics, and a lot of exploration of how things work in Japanese society interspersed with plenty of sex and violence to keep it interesting. I loved it and am hoping we get a second season before long. Who knows, I may even finally get around to reading the book at some point.

Finally, I second the recommendation earlier in the thread for Reacher. I’d read the novel it was based on, Killing Floor by Lee Child, and from what I can remember the show follows it pretty damn closely. It also scores a great coup by casting Alan Ritchman, someone who actually looks the way Reacher is described in the novels and who is obviously having a great time playing a hulking beast of a man who is smarter than most of the locals he interacts with in the tiny Georgia town he wanders into. The show also introducd me to Willa Fitzgerald, who is terrific as the local cop he works with on the case, plus very pleasant to oggle. I’m hoping they continue right on with adapting the novels in publicaton order from here and am looking forward to more of Reacher wandering into town like Yojimbo and just wrecking dudes.

Comment

• Cheers for the recommendation on Tokyo Vice. I've scrolled past the poster for it on the Paramount+ service a few times and never stopped to watch the trailer. Looks good, I'll get into it. I've been cursing the Our Flags Means Death program. I wasn't really on it's wavelength but more annoyingly, for years I've been dicking around with a kids novel about Bonnet and now even if I ever did finish it- admittedly unlikely- it would feel old hat.

Comment

• Slow horses I took a weeks free trial on apple tv+ just to watch this. Almost worth its hype. The first 3 episodes are absolute top notch, but sadly they get to focused on solving the rather uninteresting plot during the last 3 episodes instead of focusing on the characters that made the first parts so fun.

Still great, and one of the few of these new hyped Tv-series that is actually somewhat worthy of its hype.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                  Slow horses I took a weeks free trial on apple tv+ just to watch this. Almost worth its hype. The first 3 episodes are absolute top notch, but sadly they get to focused on solving the rather uninteresting plot during the last 3 episodes instead of focusing on the characters that made the first parts so fun.

Still great, and one of the few of these new hyped Tv-series that is actually somewhat worthy of its hype.
                  Oldman was so great in this. My favourite character in a little while.

Comment

Oldman was so great in this. My favourite character in a little while.
                    He was. Good to see he still has got it, since he has been haming it up in shitty b-movies recently.

Comment

• FROM: the makers of LOST. And boy are you going to know that after a couple episodes. Our ragtag bag of heroes are LOST in a weird small town. You drive out one end and you somehow come straight back in at the other. It's all a mystery about what this place is, how they get out etc. So LOST. Except, and it's a big EXCEPT, they get killed and eaten on a regular basis by monsters. For me that makes all the difference.

This is the kind of telly that would have been appoint viewing in the early 2000s. Now it is very definitely Tier 2 (or even 3) television. Still by the last couple episodes it gets pretty tense and there's a few decent scares in there. Plus you can watch secure in the knowledge that it has already been renewed for Season 2. Which it needed to be. There's no resolution here, the last episode just leading to more mysteries ala LOST.

Comment

• The Responder Martin Freeman as a burnt out cop in Liverpool (Everyone sounds retarded when they speak). A bit of the same old cop show cliches, but still above par for the genre. Mostly cause of Freemans acting and some tweaks to the standard formula.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                          Martin Freeman as a burnt out cop in Liverpool (Everyone sounds retarded when they speak).
                          This made me laugh. Crueller people than myself (if that's at all possible) often refer to them as bin dippers. I can't condone such a slight myself...
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• We Own this City - The folks behind The Wire return to Baltimore to tell the recent true life story of a special unit of very corrupt cops involved in framing innocent people, stealing money and drugs for resale, etc.

Very good cast with Jon Bernthal as the ringleader cop, this gets a bit heavy handed with speeches about the drug war in a few scenes but otherwise let's the story speak for itself and has a lot more humour in it than you may at first expect.

Comment

• Although I thought the season as a whole was a bit uninvolving, the S3 finale of BARRY was stunning. Bill Hader (who also directed the episode) said he wanted it to "feel like a panic attack". One scene in particular is easily the scariest I've seen all year.
                              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                                Although I thought the season as a whole was a bit uninvolving, the S3 finale of BARRY was stunning. Bill Hader (who also directed the episode) said he wanted it to "feel like a panic attack". One scene in particular is easily the scariest I've seen all year.
                                I was really impressed at the direction they've taken this show. What was easily capable of being Dexter Part III with more fluff has really become a thing of it's own. The finale was insane.

Comment

Working...
                                X