No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 4 episodes into the new Amazon series Reacher, based on Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels, and it is pretty darn good so far. Also, the second season of Resident Alien starring Alan Tudyk is great so far!

Comment

• I finished Reacher. Tentative thumbs up from me. It's very conventional and you can feel see every plot twist coming 5 episodes before you get there but damn it if the big guy doesn't put the show on his shoulders and carry it across the line. The quality of the characters is much better than the quality of the story telling and the actors are good enough to make them shine. Could probably have used some Banshee style gratuitous sex and violence.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Yeah, Banshee's a good reference, with that small-town police setup; some of that energy sure would be welcome. Also suffers from being shot in Canada: really zero Georgia vibe at all. They built Margrave on a vacant lot in Pickering, and we get the usual Toronto subways, street scenes and the Lakeview diner, but the show really could've used some regional colour. Normally I dig the Toronto plays itself scenery (I can see my house from here!) but it just felt cheap and easy, like the blues references. It was nice to see that same cellblock from Kingstown, though.

Now I wanna rewatch Banshee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post

I did a start to finish rewatch of Banshee shortly after Covid raised it's ugly head. Best thing I've done in the last couple years. It's better on a rewatch. Even that last season wasn't so terrible.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
            Yeah, Banshee's a good reference, with that small-town police setup; some of that energy sure would be welcome. Also suffers from being shot in Canada: really zero Georgia vibe at all. They built Margrave on a vacant lot in Pickering, and we get the usual Toronto subways, street scenes and the Lakeview diner, but the show really could've used some regional colour. Normally I dig the Toronto plays itself scenery (I can see my house from here!) but it just felt cheap and easy, like the blues references. It was nice to see that same cellblock from Kingstown, though.

Fargo was like that for me for the first couple of seasons. It was REALLY funny when I recognized the old EDS office in the BP tower and knew whose desk it was that the actor was sitting at from before they offshored our jobs. The new Ghostbusters is gong to be like that too, just in the trailer I saw four places I am familiar with, the Empress Theatre in Fort Macleod was where I saw Home Alone when they had just re-opened it after restoring the interior back in the late 80s.
            Darcy Parker
            Last edited by Darcy Parker; 02-16-2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• The last season of Precher was that way for me. For some reason they switched to shooting that show in Melbourne. Very discombulating as they treated the local geography abstractly. Preacher would be driving down a Melbourne laneway turn a corner and that corner somehow takes him onto a street i know is in St Kilda 5 kilometres away. They did this constantly. I also knew a bunch of the extras so I was constantly on the look out among the background faces. Completely ruined that season for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                The last season of Precher was that way for me. For some reason they switched to shooting that show in Melbourne. Very discombulating as they treated the local geography abstractly. Preacher would be driving down a Melbourne laneway turn a corner and that corner somehow takes him onto a street i know is in St Kilda 5 kilometres away. They did this constantly. I also knew a bunch of the extras so I was constantly on the look out among the background faces. Completely ruined that season for me.
                There's a DTV Seagal movie where there's a car chase, and all he's doing is driving around the fountain in Hamilton, Ontario the whole time.

Comment

• Pam And Tommy: What are the rules for showing a penis on telly these days? It used to be that just showing a completely flaccid one was totally forbidden. Now you get a show like this that's not only showing an erection but a penis that's doing tricks and carrying on entire conversations with it's owner. Its a weird fucking show... The weirdest part? When you open up the Disney+ app the big banner for this program is the very first thing you see. Wonder if Walt would have been cool with that?

Put this on last night because There Were No Other Options. I'm glad there weren't. I didn't know Seth Rogan was in this and he's being very funny indeed as a handyman who decides to rip off a bunch of guns, money and tapes from Pammy and Tommy.

Its really tasteless, really fast, really fun. The pair playing very against type as Pammy and Tommy are doing a great job, as are the effects people on breast and penis duties for them. Thumbs up for the first 2 episodes.

Comment

• Rewatching MAD MEN. There's some damn good writing in this show.

That is all.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

There's a DTV Seagal movie where there's a car chase, and all he's doing is driving around the fountain in Hamilton, Ontario the whole time.
                      Speaking of Seagal, Exit Wounds was filmed in Montreal, except for the opening scene on the bridge, that was on the Centre St. bridge out here in Calgary.

Comment

Pam And Tommy: What are the rules for showing a penis on telly these days? It used to be that just showing a completely flaccid one was totally forbidden. Now you get a show like this that's not only showing an erection but a penis that's doing tricks and carrying on entire conversations with it's owner. Its a weird fucking show... The weirdest part? When you open up the Disney+ app the big banner for this program is the very first thing you see. Wonder if Walt would have been cool with that?

Put this on last night because There Were No Other Options. I'm glad there weren't. I didn't know Seth Rogan was in this and he's being very funny indeed as a handyman who decides to rip off a bunch of guns, money and tapes from Pammy and Tommy.

Its really tasteless, really fast, really fun. The pair playing very against type as Pammy and Tommy are doing a great job, as are the effects people on breast and penis duties for them. Thumbs up for the first 2 episodes.

Streaming isn't TV, Dom, so the rules are whatever that service decides is OK.

Amusingly, Pam and Tommy is on Disney+ here, since we don't get Hulu, Star or anything else aside from Netflix and Prime here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                          Streaming isn't TV, Dom
                          What's TV?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Streaming isn't TV, Dom, so the rules are whatever that service decides is OK.
                            I guess that's true. Certainly in the States where they have little to no oversight on content I guess the companies can make their own rules. I do wonder how they are getting away with it in censorship backwaters like Australia though. Every kid logging onto Disney+ at the moment is first given the option of watching Tommy Lee hang a Do Not Disturb sign on his erection and has to skip past that banner to find the toonies. I'm just surprised there hasn't been a fuss.

Comment

• They've been indoctrinating the kids for years with subliminal cock and beave in the cartoons. It's all part of the plan.
                              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I guess that's true. Certainly in the States where they have little to no oversight on content I guess the companies can make their own rules. I do wonder how they are getting away with it in censorship backwaters like Australia though. Every kid logging onto Disney+ at the moment is first given the option of watching Tommy Lee hang a Do Not Disturb sign on his erection and has to skip past that banner to find the toonies. I'm just surprised there hasn't been a fuss.
                                Disney+ has a PIN system for profiles to access the non-Disney stuff here, and the default profile creation is to not allow access to the adult stuff.

I get a kick out of watching the episode of Family Guy with the Willy Wonka-parody weed factory on Disney+.

Comment

Working...
                                X