No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see your quality top-shelf prestige serial drama, and raise you ANIMAL KINGDOM, based on David Michod's Australian movie, which I now need to watch. Ellen Barkin could honestly be the whole show, but the capering testosterone apes who are her sons kind of grow on you. The structure seems to be a big heist per season, which works well. Shawn Hatosy from Southland is pretty great here, as is Jake Weary from Tomato Red. I like to think of it as a Brady Brunch prequel, and hope Smurf will marry a nice Mike Brady with three daughters of his own in some later season. Zero thought required.
    Barry M
    Super Fiend
    Last edited by Barry M; 01-27-2022, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Are these bogans? I feel like they might be bogans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
        I see your quality top-shelf prestige serial drama, and raise you ANIMAL KINGDOM, based on David Michod's Australian movie, which I now need to watch. Ellen Barkin could honestly be the whole show, but the capering testosterone apes who are her sons kind of grow on you. The structure seems to be a big heist per season, which works well. Shawn Hatosy from Southland is pretty great here, as is Jake Weary from Tomato Red. I like to think of it as a Brady Brunch prequel, and hope Smurf will marry a nice Mike Brady with three daughters of his own in some later season. Zero thought required.
        Huh. Sounds curiously intriguing.

Fangtastic.

Comment

• It's pretty much Yellowstone with surfboards. So much American TV about the struggle parents have letting kids move out of the basement. A family dynasty but with (surfboards / horses / media conglomerate / robocops).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

Huh. Sounds curiously intriguing.

Fangtastic.
            It's a really good series, and has some great music used in key scenes. Check it out.

Comment

• Oh, it's on the netflix. I will.

Comment

• First episode was great!

Ellen Barkin is working for me the same way Beth in Yellowstone does, but in a "I'll bet she has a lot of wisdom as well".

Loving this show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                  First episode was great!

Ellen Barkin is working for me the same way Beth in Yellowstone does, but in a "I'll bet she has a lot of wisdom as well".

Loving this show.
                  If you think the first episode was great, just wait til you're in the thick of season 4. The show seriously builds as it goes.

Comment

• This is good to hear, thanks, Darcy.

Comment

This is good to hear, thanks, Darcy.
                      No problem, Barry! Always happy to share a good show!

Comment

• Now I want peanut butter.

Comment

• Station Eleven starts out very good as a slow-burn, character based sf mini-series with a lot of time jumps that work for me but some contrivances, most damagingly in its treatment of its nominal villain, while thematically in-line, come close to derailing things.

But ultimately the story of the two central protagonists and their relationship overcomes the flawed aspects of the ending. Plus Tribe Called Quest prominently featured on two occasions. Well worth the watch as long as you know it doesn't stick the landing completely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                            Station Eleven starts out very good as a slow-burn, character based sf mini-series with a lot of time jumps that work for me but some contrivances, most damagingly in its treatment of its nominal villain, while thematically in-line, come close to derailing things.

But ultimately the story of the two central protagonists and their relationship overcomes the flawed aspects of the ending. Plus Tribe Called Quest prominently featured on two occasions. Well worth the watch as long as you know it doesn't stick the landing completely.
                            A tv review podcast I listen to listed this as the series of the year, above Succession S3. It's hard to believe that's a good call but I'm intrigued none the less. Just trying to overcome that the premise doesn't sound like my sort of thing.

They also gave big wraps to Yellowjackets which ive slowly sort of being working my way through. Cristina Ricci and Juliette Lewis are survivors from a party of soccer girls who's plane crashed in the wilderness. They go full Lord Of The Flies and start eating each other. Plays out over two time lines. The flashback to the crash scenario and Ricci and Lewis running around in the present as it looks someone is killing off the survivors. Watchable...

The award for most batshit crazy show at the moment goes to The Woman From The House Across The Street From The Girl In The Window. It's a send up of the Girl On The Train and that ilk of literary trash. It is the driest comedy in the history of television. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of people miss that its a comedy altogether. It can go go 15 minutes stretches without a gag. Just occassionaly though its the funniest thing on television. How the womans daughter gets killed had me damned near doubled up. Fucking bizarre show.
                            Last edited by Dom D; 01-30-2022, 12:31 AM.
                            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

It's pretty much Yellowstone with surfboards. So much American TV about the struggle parents have letting kids move out of the basement. A family dynasty but with (surfboards / horses / media conglomerate / robocops).
                              Sold, sounds like we need to check this one out. Love me some Ellen Barkin.

Comment

• Reacher: Amazon is really setting itself up as the home of Manly action tv. There's Jack Ryan, Reacher, Hanna, there's Alex fucking Rider. Plus all the sport docos and the Grand Tour etc. It's an unusual move for a global behemoth like Amazon to go for a niche.

Reacher is back here as a six foot five, 'roided up dude who rides into town on a bus and is immediately accused of murder on seriously thin evidence. The dead dude turns out to be his brother and so Reacher is out for blood.

Anyway, this is a big step up from the movies. I couldn't keep a straight face watching those for all the Tom Cruise hyping. Reacher is heavily hyped here too but the new guy wears a perpetual half smile and seems to be in on the ridiculousness of it so that hyping is less offensive.

Like Jack Ryan this feels a bit conventional for modern tv but its enough to help fill the gap between part 1 and 2 of the final season of Ozark. The new guys alright. He looks to my untrained eye to be about 6 foot 2 rather than the oft claimed 5- unless of course his costars are really tall. But the man has serious physical presence. His biceps are roughly the same mass as his enitre female love interest. Exactly how he maintains this 'roided up physique while bussing around America and eating crap in diners hasn't been covered yet. Hopefully they get to it in a future episode.
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X