No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how many of yall would enjoy it,But I'm loving the Hulu Wu Tang An American Saga series. Season 2 started a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
      Not sure how many of yall would enjoy it,But I'm loving the Hulu Wu Tang An American Saga series. Season 2 started a few weeks ago.
      Oh shit! I will have to see if we get that on Crave yet!

EDIT 2 MINUTES LATER:

Just checked the Crave app, and not only isn't season 2 up, season 1 has disappeared!
      Darcy Parker
      Last edited by Darcy Parker; 10-01-2021, 04:28 PM. Reason: 2 muinutes later...

Comment

Season 1 was great. Season 2 is pretty decent so far. But the actor playing RZA in season 2 started using this robotic sounding voice.

Also the actor playing Inspectah Deck was changed between the seasons.

Comment

Season 1 was great. Season 2 is pretty decent so far. But the actor playing RZA in season 2 started using this robotic sounding voice.

I guess I will just torrent it like I did season 1. Are they drip-feeding it, or is the whole season available now?

Comment

Nah it's one episode coming out every Wednesday. BUt like with season 1 they released the first 3 episodes at once. Then one per week after that.

Comment

Nah it's one episode coming out every Wednesday. BUt like with season 1 they released the first 3 episodes at once. Then one per week after that.
              Thanks! Now to decide whether to grab it week by week or wait a bit for the complete season as one torrent…

Comment

Just a heads up for anyone who was watching it but may have dropped off along the way, the season finale of Billions is an absolutely stonking episode. This season always felt a little.... manufactured. Bobby Axelrod suddenly having anew arch rival out of nowhere etc. The pandemic didn't help. Cutting the season in half and seeing Giamatti lose 20 kilos between episodes 7 and 8. Then there was the endless zoom-ing of the pandemic episodes. I get enough of that in real life, I don't want to see it on telly. No zoom-ing in the finale. The denouement, which was looking a little pat, suddenly gets exploded, all the pieces get rearranged and everythings set up for new alliances and battles next season. Makes the entire season feel like a setup for the next one but given things were starting to get a little stale its just what was needed.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Strangers From Hell: By God there's a ridiculous amount of content on Netflix. Everyone's talking about Korean pop culture at the moment so I went delving into the Korean collection of shows on Netflix. There's mountains of them! Every genre. Apparently Netflix spends $500 million a year on Korean shows. Anyway, after a lengthy browse, almost at random, I wound up watching Strangers From Hell.

This is pretty good. It's got a Polanski feel to it. Young guy moves to Seoul to get work and be near his girlfriend. He can only afford to stay in a "Residence" though- essentially a cupboard in a squalid corridor with other cupboard dwellers. Everyone else in the Residence is a freak. Everyone at work is a freak. Someone's killing cats. There's Mystery Meat in the fridge. And he and his girlfriend are too overcome with exhaustion and ennui to ever actually see each other.

And so we do the ole tried and tested Descent Into Madness story. Will our boy get off his arse and move somewhere the people are sane or will he just go crazy with them? I'm entertained.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Succession is back! I don't think it's over the top to say that this is objectively the best show on tv. Anyone who says otherwise has probably suffered some kind of hideous head injury at some stage and even then they'd have to be feeling particularly ungenerous. The standard of writing and performance on this show is just ridiculously high. Glossy, high stakes hour long drama with a sitcom overlay.

Comment

• I've got a google box connected to my tv which has made accessing the Apple+ service difficult. A recent update though made the Apple app available so I've got proper access to that service for the first time in a long time. First up viewing, Foundation. Very self serious sci-fi is not really my thing. I'm interested all the same given the scale of this for a tv show. A few years back they were selling Altered Carbon to us as television encroaching on films effects budget for big screen sci fi spectaculars. Not quite. Altered Carbon had definite moments of ropey-ness that showed the budgetary limitations. Not here. Foundation is, on that front, the equal of any movie going around. The story? Eh. I could take it or leave it.

More fun is The Tourist. This is a BBC/Australian co production with Mr Grey playing a mysterious British dude who gets taken out early, and wakes up in a hospital with neither him nor us knowing anything about him. Bourne Identity crossed with Wake In Fright crossed with a generous helping of Fargo. The way Fargo has fun with extreme characterizations of American hicks from the deep North this does the same with familiar Aussie caricatures. Only a couple episodes in but seems worth your while.

Comment

• Dr. Brain on Apple+ is worth checking out. I'm three episodes in. Based on a sf mystery webcomic, directed by the guy who did I Saw the Devil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post

I think the kid playing RZA was trying to sound like the dubbing in Kung Fu movies, because that's what it reminded me of, to an eerie degree.

Comment

• For more than ten years I've wanted to watch Six Feet Under. Friends have recommended it to me for forever. Ian just signed us up for HBO MAX so I'm hoping we get a chance to check it out.

Also, (haha), Hulu picked up The Golden Palace which is the spinoff of The Golden Girls (minus Dorothy). I remember thinking it was not at the level of TGG when I saw it as a kid but have really been enjoying and appreciating it this time around. It's made by the same writers and producers so it really is so similar to the original series. Check it out if you're a fan of TGG or Cheech Marin, haha. It just ran for one season so it won't take too much time to finish out of your life!
                            Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
                              For more than ten years I've wanted to watch Six Feet Under. Friends have recommended it to me for forever. Ian just signed us up for HBO MAX so I'm hoping we get a chance to check it out.
                              Prepare yourself. It's an emotionally draining experience. It's fantastic, but the last season haunted me for a few months afterwards.
                              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
                                For more than ten years I've wanted to watch Six Feet Under. Friends have recommended it to me for forever. Ian just signed us up for HBO MAX so I'm hoping we get a chance to check it out.

Also, (haha), Hulu picked up The Golden Palace which is the spinoff of The Golden Girls (minus Dorothy). I remember thinking it was not at the level of TGG when I saw it as a kid but have really been enjoying and appreciating it this time around. It's made by the same writers and producers so it really is so similar to the original series. Check it out if you're a fan of TGG or Cheech Marin, haha. It just ran for one season so it won't take too much time to finish out of your life!
                                Had never heard of the GG spinoff, wow.

I echo what Matt said about Six Feet Under. I cried like a schoolgirl so many times during that show, and the final season was like half of my family (the ones I like) died.

Comment

Working...
                                X