No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm halfway through The Queens gambit, and liking it. It is slow, and I usually become bored with series with this kind of pacing, but this has managed to keep me interested.

It is a bit clichéd in the whole prodigy (with issues) out of nowhere routine, but it more then makes up for that in other aspects. And as an old chess player I am liking it.

Still consider Knight Moves with Lambert as the best chess film though. I think of it as a Chess-Giallo.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
      It is a bit clichéd in the whole prodigy (with issues) out of nowhere routine
      I can't hold that against them as they do seem to be leaning heavily on the Bobby Fisher story and obviously he fits that description to a T. Lot of parralels between the two though Beth is a much more likable character than Fisher.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        I can't hold that against them as they do seem to be leaning heavily on the Bobby Fisher story and obviously he fits that description to a T. Lot of parralels between the two though Beth is a much more likable character than Fisher.
        Yes, quite. He was a bit of a weirdo old Bobby. I saw the biopic they did about him a few years ago, but it left really no lasting impression.

Comment

One thing a bit strange with The Queens Gambit though: All the competitions seem to be single matches? I thought it was always a series, with the winner being the best of 3 or 5 or something.

Comment

Matches to decide the world chanpion are done as best of twenty or something ridiculous. Speed chess tournaments often have more than one game per match as well. Most tournaments though, like the state and national championship you see in the show, will be played as Swiss Round Robin. In that system if you win a game you play another winner, losers play losers and throughout the tournament you play someone on the same score as yourself. The system is designed so that the best players are hopefully playing off for the tournament in the last round.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Finnished Queens Gambit. Liked it quite a bit. I have some issues with the pacing at times, and it was far from perfect. But it was good and it kept me watching until the end, which is very rare for series.

Comment

Have begun watching the Crown season 4. Didn't see the previous seasons, but now that they have reached the 80s, my era, with events and people I can relate to, I started watching.

Not half bad, despite the shameful left wing anti-Thatcherism. I do like however that they make pretty much everyone in the royal family come off as quite disgusting human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                  I do like however that they make pretty much everyone in the royal family come off as quite disgusting human beings.
                  I didn't watch the first seasons because I couldn't take the reverence they were taking with that sad bunch. It'd require some very creative writing to make Di and Charles look like quality people but I assumed they'd give it a shot.

Comment

So did anyone of you get the absolutely fantastic German series Deutschland´83 and its sequel Deutschland ´86?

Cold war spies and intreague galore, but with the twist that it is from the perspective of an east german agent.

Just rewatched ´86 again as ´89 is about to be released. (A particular highlight for us R!S!P!ers in the 86 season is that a sleazy South African armsdealer is named Gary Banks)

If you haven't seen this I urge you to do so.

Comment

I watched WAYNE on Amazon Prime. I thought it might be quirky, like a Scott Pilgrim or something like that, but I enjoyed the shit out of it. It's really not exactly like anything I've watched before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                        I watched WAYNE on Amazon Prime. I thought it might be quirky, like a Scott Pilgrim or something like that, but I enjoyed the shit out of it. It's really not exactly like anything I've watched before.
                        Watched the first couple episodes. It's good fun and, yup, different. If I had to pick something it was like I'd say The End Of The Fucking World. Loved that one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                          Watched the first couple episodes. It's good fun and, yup, different. If I had to pick something it was like I'd say The End Of The Fucking World. Loved that one too.
                          Definitely got some of that vibe as well.

Comment

Finished off Wayne and got to wondering when we would get a second series. Seems like never. Apparently it was a youtube production and given youtube originals are no more it's unlikely to get another run unless it does good business on Amazon. Given Amazon seems to have buried it that would seem to be that.

I hope these services get themselves sorted out fast. I just finished the second season of Warrior. It finishes by setting up all the characters for new conflicts in the third season. Very little resolved at all. And that's probably where it ends because Warner's killed Cinemax while they reshuffle everything for their goddamned HBO Max project. Programs should be cancelled because they've become stultifyingly dull and no ones watching not because of corporate reshuffles.

Comment

The White Lotus. HBO was apparently desperate to fill a covidy gap in their schedule and got Matt White to knock out a quick, one location show. In a genius master-stroke he booked himself and his cast and crew a couple months in an Hawaiin resort to shoot a show about rich white arseholes on holiday and the people who serve them. This is pretty entertaining and sits very neatly in that 'TV as books' niche. Its not as sharp as something like Succession, and it doesn't quite have enough energy to finish the race at the pace it started, but still it more than does its job of filling any Covidy gaps in your television schedule.

Comment

The White Lotus was all right. I liked the fact that everyone was more or less unlikeable.

It felt a bit rushed though, writing wise. Could have been better. But it kept me entertained enough to watch it all the way through.

Comment

Working...
                                X