TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV worth watching

We don't have a TV version of the "Currently Watching" threads. There's a load of great TV shows at the moment that wouldn't necessarily sustain a thread here so I'm just putting this here as place for people to hype good stuff. For instance I loved season one of Succession and it's definitely worth your time. It's a drama that's absolutely not about the Murdoch family. At all. It's also the funniest show on TV at the moment and season 2 is imminent. Any leads on great current shows?

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

and still working my way through:

Had a slight tussle w/the chap editing a short film I directed once because I wanted loads of extended walking shots in homage to Alan Clarke, and he wanted to cut them back to get to the core narrative. My argument was that the walking builds characters. But I digress...
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Right now I am currently watching YELLOWSTONE season 2. It's written and directed by Taylor Sheridan and it is fucking wonderful. Kevin Costner, Wes Bentley, Gil Birmingham and Cole Hauser (among others). Might be the best show I've ever watched. It fills the hole that LONGMIRE left in my life.

Last week I finished up watching THE SON with Pierce Bronson. It was only two seasons and the first season was just ok but the second season was way stronger and they really stuck the landing. The world needs more western tv shows (and movies).

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Right now I am currently watching YELLOWSTONE season 2. It's written and directed by Taylor Sheridan and it is fucking wonderful. Kevin Costner, Wes Bentley, Gil Birmingham and Cole Hauser (among others). Might be the best show I've ever watched. It fills the hole that LONGMIRE left in my life.

Is that Kelly Reilly? She's doing quite a bit of US telly now, isn't she? I've always thought her acting was a bit 'flat' but she's a handsome gal. YELLOWSTONE looks solid; I'll have to try to track it down.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Yeah that's her. I didn't care for her at first until I found out she's British. Now I think she's brilliant! She shows a bunch of skin in the first season.

The show is pretty consistent with Taylor Sheridan's other work; HELL OR HIGH WATER, WIND RIVER, and parts of SICARIO. So if you like those I'm sure you'll like YELLOWSTONE. It's got a bunch of regulars from those works too, Gil Birmingham, Kelsey Chow and few others show up.

Comment

Yeah that's her. I didn't care for her at first until I found out she's British. Now I think she's brilliant! She shows a bunch of skin in the first season.

The show is pretty consistent with Taylor Sheridan's other work; HELL OR HIGH WATER, WIND RIVER, and parts of SICARIO. So if you like those I'm sure you'll like YELLOWSTONE. It's got a bunch of regulars from those works too, Gil Birmingham, Kelsey Chow and few others show up.
            I enjoyed Taylor Sheridan's films, so this should be right up my street.

Ms Reilly was very chaste in her appearances in British dramas as a younger actress. Now she's in the US, she seems happy to strip off left, right and centre. Can't say I'm unhappy with this, but...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Scott. I love Sheridan's work. My local library has Season 1 on DVD, so I put a hold on that bad boy.

It's nice that it's actually available on DVD and I don't have to subscribe to another channel to see it.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

It's getting out of hand with all these separate streaming services. Is every channel gonna have their own service?

Oh yeah, Danny Huston is in this too. How the hell did I forget him! He's fantastic. I really hope you gents like it, do post your thoughts when you catch up with it.

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                Ms Reilly was very chaste in her appearances in British dramas as a younger actress. Now she's in the US, she seems happy to strip off left, right and centre. Can't say I'm unhappy with this, but...
                There's a great scene with her sitting nude drunk in a horse trough. Whatever it takes is fine with me!

Comment

It's getting out of hand with all these separate streaming services. Is every channel gonna have their own service?
                  :
                  Indeed. I think I'm subscribed to about 6 and when the Disney and Apple ones come I'll certainly be adding those. On the one hand it's kind of insane but at the same time all these channels need content and so we're being flooded with great tv. It's ridiculous the amount of quality content being pumped out at the moment and this period will no doubt be looked back on as one of the great moments for the arts. Like the 70s was for film. So it's hard to complain too much but you'd think there will have to be some rationalization at some point.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I agree. Even the middle of the road shows are fairly sophisticated these days. It's all pretty amazing.

Comment

I still need to watch Too Old To Die Young.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                        I still need to watch Too Old To Die Young.
                        Me too! I'm surprised with myself that I haven't got around to it already.

Edit: Yet I have 2 hours to spend watching Dave Portnoy reviews pizzas. What the hell is wrong with me?
                        Scott
                        Intellectual Carrot
                        Last edited by Scott; 07-17-2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I think I'm going to check out The Boys. Some day I'll get to Too Old To Die Young. There's too much shit to watch these days.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Yellowstone is amazing. The best TV I've seen in ages. Thanks again, Scott.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              Yellowstone is amazing. The best TV I've seen in ages. Thanks again, Scott.
                              Glad you liked it , Matt. Shit is riveting! I just sent my mom the DVD set for season 1. New episode tonight! I can hardly contain myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X