No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone watching The Naked Director? New Japanese Netflix series about a mild mannered salesman who chucks it in to first distribute dirty magazines, and then make dirty magazines, and finally (at least where I'm up to) pioneer JAV at the dawn of VHS.

Pretty wild stuff that is apparently based on a true story. Could almost have been made by Miike with all the fun the directors obviously having. I've only seen 3 so far but good, dirty fun if you're up for it.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Too lazy to start a tv not worth watching thread, but Carnival Row would be in it. Impossible to take seriously after Year of the Rabbit, and the political allegory is so heavy handed it would crush its own dick masturbating.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I was watching the trailer for that yesterday, looks awful...
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          Anyone watching The Naked Director? New Japanese Netflix series about a mild mannered salesman who chucks it in to first distribute dirty magazines, and then make dirty magazines, and finally (at least where I'm up to) pioneer JAV at the dawn of VHS.

Pretty wild stuff that is apparently based on a true story. Could almost have been made by Miike with all the fun the directors obviously having. I've only seen 3 so far but good, dirty fun if you're up for it.
          I've not seen this yet, Dom, but thanks for bringing it to my attention as I reckon this could be fascinating.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
            I've not seen this yet, Dom, but thanks for bringing it to my attention as I reckon this could be fascinating.
            Curious what you think of it when you get to it. We finished it off a couple days ago. Loved it.

Just wanted to give another shout out for Succession. The new has been even better than the first.

Comment

Check out this piece of shit.

Neil LaButte doing his own take on Lost though this time the trailer tells you upfront that it's all a simulation. The show doesn't by the way so they really should stick "SPOILERS" on that shit. Wierd guy LaButte. You get the impression he takes himself seriously but then does the Wicker Man and stuff like this. Can't quite work him out.

Comment

I've been watching. Frankly lily is pretty good in it too as the cop. I've been wanting to check out that BBC documentary on Toru Muranishi but haven't tracked it down. Anyone see it?

Comment

I got through season one of True Detective. Very good. But no desire to see seasons 2 and 3. I've learned my lesson.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                    I got through season one of True Detective. Very good. But no desire to see seasons 2 and 3. I've learned my lesson.
                    What was the lesson?

The seasons are very dissimilar, and I am one of the few who really enjoyed Season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                      What was the lesson?
                      To cut your losses. Not everything needs to just keep going. So many shows/franchises go to shit and I don't feel any need to see seasons 2 and 3.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                        What was the lesson?

The seasons are very dissimilar, and I am one of the few who really enjoyed Season 2.
                        I liked season two too. A slightly bumpy beginning but the final few eps were pretty enjoyable.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

The Queens Gambit. I don't know if Im enjoying this show because it's good or because it gets chess right. Watching chess onscreen is always frustrating. The white queen starts on the black square. The wrong pieces move. My least favourite film cliche of all, seen in Blade Runner and a billion others, is when you have two masters playing the game, studying the board intensely, and then one of them slowly, lugubriously, moves a piece and calmly declares checkmate to his opponents absolute shock. No. Such a thing only happens on the boards of absolute hacks.

But this one gets it right for the first time, in my recall, since Searching For Bobby Fisher. They actually look like they're playing chess.

Beyond that it's a slightly slow burn. The lead actress is kind of fascinating looking and has an enjoybly quirky prescense and the whole thing is pretty comfortable, easy, viewing. Tentatively recommended after a couple episodes.

Comment

The Queens Gambit. I don't know if Im enjoying this show because it's good or because it gets chess right. Watching chess onscreen is always frustrating. The white queen starts on the black square. The wrong pieces move. My least favourite film cliche of all, seen in Blade Runner and a billion others, is when you have two masters playing the game, studying the board intensely, and then one of them slowly, lugubriously, moves a piece and calmly declares checkmate to his opponents absolute shock. No. Such a thing only happens on the boards of absolute hacks.
                            Ha, nice call on the depiction of chess in movies, Dom. Films about chess always remind me of the dilemma Top of the Pops faced in the 1980s when house music became popular - and they struggled to make this visually interesting, ending up with the cliche of guys with 'keyboard guitars' hanging aroud their necks, swamped by dancers and people miming desperately to sampled sounds. Chess is all about the internals - hard to depict onscreen in a way that's visually dramatic.

The scene from BLADE RUNNER perhaps gets a pass because it shows how Roy Batty has surpassed his creator, Tyrell.

I was always fond of INNOCENT MOVES/SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER. That was a pretty decent film. And KNIGHT MOVES with Christophe Lambert - but that's a whole other board game. (Board game, geddit?)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              Ha, nice call on the depiction of chess in movies, Dom. Films about chess always remind me of the dilemma Top of the Pops faced in the 1980s when house music became popular - and they struggled to make this visually interesting, ending up with the cliche of guys with 'keyboard guitars' hanging aroud their necks, swamped by dancers and people miming desperately to sampled sounds. Chess is all about the internals - hard to depict onscreen in a way that's visually dramatic.
                              Thats very true I guess. Sometimes it's visual though. You don't have to know anything about chess to watch this video and know who's the greatest player in the world and who's a mere humble Grandmaster. I love the arrogance here.

Comment

Really dug the rest of The Queens Gambit. The ending is a bit Rocky 4 for a character program but otherwise a really nicely modulated bit of work. If there are any other chess nuts here I thought this analysis of the final between Harmon and Borgov is tops and really goes to show the attention to detail in this program:

Comment

Working...
                                X