X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    Both We Hunt Together and Irwine Welch's Crime got second seasons which I watched recently. Both were only slight drop offs in quality, which made me wanna come here and recommend them.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardMatthew

• EdwardMatthew
    replied
    Watch Accused: Guilty or Innocent great series I would suggest you all to watch this series.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Succession wound up last night after a far too brief 4 season run. I read a couple reviews this morning calling it the best show of the last decade. Well, the last decade is by far the best decade for TV ever so let's just call it as it is, Succession set new standards for telly and nothing else is really close at this point.

Top conclusion to the show and predictably brutal. Hopefully Jesse follows through on his musings for a spin off. I could spend a lot more time with the Roy's or even the Swedes if he went that way.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Florida Man

I've never come across it but apparently the term Florida Man is a meme thing. Every time someone does something really stupid on the news the report begins "a Florida Man" and so the meme runs that it's the same guy for all of the stories. Anyway, sad origins of the title aside what you've got yourself here is a neo-noir, black comedy thing about stupid people, doing stupid things in Florida, in the search for a fortune of doubloons.

It's not amazing. This is one of those tv shows that should have been a movie. The pacing is shot to shit and all the delays in the story are more frustrating than fun. Still it does have some low rent Coen-esque charm at times and there are definitely laughs to be had. The lead actor mysteriously sports a South American accent. Which is super fucking weird because his character is born and raised in Florida. Deepening the mystery is his dad is played by Aussie Anthony Lapaglia sporting an American accent. So how did that accent come to be? His sister in the show looks Latino but also has an American accent. It is befuddling.

Anyway, if you are missing Hap And Leonard this hits a similar level of entertaining, but slightly disappointing, charm.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    I think he was one of the writing staff, but not the head honcho.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    I haven't seen a huge amount of Shameless so missed anything like that. I believe they're from the same showrunner?

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    I enjoyed the first series of Brassic, but haven't watched the others. The finale of the first series ripped off Shameless a bit too much for my liking, it's twisted but strangely lightweight as well. Take away the more lurid and salacious aspects and it's like Last of the Summer Wine!

​​​​
    agent999
    Last edited by agent999; 01-10-2023, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    BRASSIC:

How the hell have they made 4 seasons of this and I've never heard of it?

This is smashing television. Imagine if Snatch was a TV series and a lot better than Snatch was.

Vinnies a very small time thief who has a band of loser mates with whom he steals tiny ponies, does bare knuckle fights, fakes his own death and narrowly avoids having his Johnson cut off with gardening shears.

It's frequently repugnantly disgusting- in the episode I was watching last night they were trying find a replacement body for a head they'd accidentally decapitated and it got very squealchy and messy and that sort of thing is just par for the course. The accents are also super thick. Subs might be in order for many.

But very fast, very funny and highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    A spy among friends based on the true story of Kim Philby, the soviet spy in the UK back in the 50s and 60s. Guy Pearce is Philby and Damian Lewis is his friend.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    The Grand Tour boys are back with a Scandi trip where they take a bunch of rally cars out on the snow. Poor choice of release date given Clarkson is bidding to have himself cancelled again but I'm guessing the core audience for TGT aren't bothered by that sort of thing.

I was just bemoaning how safe the show is these days when James May slams his car into a cave wall sending him on a short trip to hospital. That looked to be caused by a stupid bit of daring-do that would have benefited by a bit more thought.

It did make for a nice break though from the obviously scripted parts that dominate. There's another bit where Mays car goes through the ice that initially looks absolutely terrifying though the way its dealt with suggests that it was staged.

Smashing scenery if you are into that sort of thing but otherwise the boys are feeling a bit tired.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Just a heads up that Alice In Broderlands Season 2 just dropped. I don't know if anyone else is watching this but season 1 was most excellent. It starts off as a scifi survival horror show as young Japanese are thrown into a series of life and death games and then progresses into being more of a Lord Of The Flies story when the survivors start trying to form a society. But Lord Of The Flies with Japanese babes in bikinis doing Kung fu. The trailer for Season 2 is pretty weak but I'm going to assume that that's just a poor trailer editor:

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    The Patient: This one seems to be sneaking under the radar but I think it's very, very watchable. Domnhall Gleeson plays a serial killer who wants to stop with all the killings. Steve Carell is his therapist. Therapy sessions aren't really getting anywhere so Gleeson decides to kidnap Carrell and keep in his basement until Carrell can fix him. As you do. Pretty tense stuff. Might have been better as a movie but is still working just fine as a show. Still a couple episodes to air here. Not sure if it's all available overseas.

Leave a comment:

• JonesyTheCat

• JonesyTheCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    A little bit of tv not worth watching: Paper Girls. This is being pushed as the tv program to scratch your Stranger Things itch while we endure the couple year wait for season 5. The critics are all giving it the thumbs up and it sits at a healthy 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I do not compute.

This is zero budget tosh with people wandering around in silly spacesuits and a group of teenage protagonists who only communicate by yelling at one another. This seems to be very specifically aimed at the 10-15 year old market. Plays exactly one of the YA books I read to my brother. When I was 12 years old I imagine I would have thought this was good telly but things have moved on and I have no idea why this is somehow considered viewing for adults.

Anyway putting a bunch of kids on bikes and turning the sky a funny colour does not a Stranger Things make.

It's from a comic book that is very very good. Sad. Great book, shit show.

Leave a comment:

• The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    Kleo.

Netflix german original. Much funnier then it ought to be allowed to be about an east German assasin who after her last mission is sent to prison and forgotten, only to be released 3 years later after the fall of the eastern block and the Berlin Wall. She naturally goes on a rampage to find out who betrayed her and why.

Leave a comment:

• JLG

• JLG
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    A little bit of tv not worth watching: Paper Girls. This is being pushed as the tv program to scratch your Stranger Things itch while we endure the couple year wait for season 5. The critics are all giving it the thumbs up and it sits at a healthy 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I do not compute.

Anyway putting a bunch of kids on bikes and turning the sky a funny colour does not a Stranger Things make.

totally agree. did not make it through the second episode.

came across the comic after the first season of Stranger Things. gave up on that too. just didn't like it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X