No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started a thread for Money Heist a year or so back but I think I'm the only one watching it so it had no traction. Well Season 3 dropped last week and I binged it and it was as awesome as ever (if a lkittle familiar). You should be onto this show. I watched it by mytself and then told my girlfriend she had to watch. Took a month to convince her but she finally conceeded to my nagging she agreed it was the best thing on telly. Then told my sister to watch it and her take? Best show on telly. Really great characters, seriously tense throughout and some killer cliffhangers; the wait for season 4 will be a lengthy one given how they ended 3.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I don't think I've ever been so shook and frazzled by an episode of television like the last episode of YELLOWSTONE did to me. I honestly thought I might be having a heart attack. Jesus fucking Christ. I now feel bad about sending my mom the dvd set for season 1 last week. She likes dark stuff too but it went to places I never thought it would. I could not fall asleep last night. I'm going to have to warn her about Season 2. Which will probably have the reverse effect and she'll really want to watch it now!

I know it's being tauted as "Cable TV's #1 show" but it is the off season and there isn't much competition. That being said I don't know anyone else who watches this, besides Matt H., of course. And I'm used to that, given the weird and strange stuff we all tend to watch here. And rarely do I tell people to check out the things I like (I'm referring to friends and co-workers). And with so much tv being incredibly good now I don't really know how to get people to watch a melodrama about a rich family living on a ranch in Montana. It's not based on superheroes, it's not high concept and doesn't involve any meta-commentary. On the surface it sounds incredibly dry. Boring-ass Kevin Costner is the patriarch of a ranch and his kids are a bunch of spoiled brats. Local politics and whatnot are encroaching on their way of life and they push back against the powers that be. It's not part of a hokey franchise or adapted from a stale book. It isn't a remake of an old movie or tv show. There's no CGI or pop songs in it.

The best way I can describe it is by saying if you like Taylor Sheridan's other work (HELL OR HIGH WATER, SICARIO, WIND RIVER), then you will absolutely love this. It's cut from a similar cloth. Every scene feels like the best scene you'd see in other shows. It never lets up. There's never a weak episode or superfluous padding. Just lots of great acting, great writing and some of the best real scenery you can see and wonderful cinematography to capture it all.

If you're tired of geek culture tributes and also-ran concepts and actors who don't emote, then do give this series a shot. I think you'd be surprised how much you'll like it.

Now if you'll excuse me I have more Barstool pizza reviews to watch....
      Scott
      Intellectual Carrot
      Last edited by Scott; 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM.
      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I'm not going to able to see Season 2 until the DVD comes out. I'm really curious what it could be that shook you so bad, but there were a few times during the first season where my heart was racing, so I know Sheridan is capable of going there.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

My lips are sealed. There's still a handful of episodes left in this season and so far each one has exceeded the previous one. Thrilling and amazing stuff. It's not all violence and grit either. There's been some funny and great tender and touching moments too.

Comment

This looks like a real piece of shit. I'm in. How about you?

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

This one takes high concept to new meth lab, bolivian marching powder levels. Imagine a mashup of 28 DAYS LATER, DEATH RACE 2000 and THE PURGE and you begin to understand the lunacy behind this trash. I would love to have been a fly on the wall for the pitch meeting for this. I am a Spectrum customer so I watched this for free (aside from the highway robbery rates) and, honestly, after the first WHAT THE FUCK episode I enjoyed it in a trashy, what's going to happen next way. I will shower and never feel the need to see it again but it's fast, fairly gory and surprisingly fun.

I'm referring to CURFEW btw.
              Andrew Monroe
              Pallid Hands
              Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 08-09-2019, 09:44 PM.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I don't think I've ever been so shook and frazzled by an episode of television like the last episode of YELLOWSTONE did to me. I honestly thought I might be having a heart attack. Jesus fucking Christ. I now feel bad about sending my mom the dvd set for season 1 last week. She likes dark stuff too but it went to places I never thought it would. I could not fall asleep last night. I'm going to have to warn her about Season 2. Which will probably have the reverse effect and she'll really want to watch it now!

I know it's being tauted as "Cable TV's #1 show" but it is the off season and there isn't much competition. That being said I don't know anyone else who watches this, besides Matt H., of course. And I'm used to that, given the weird and strange stuff we all tend to watch here. And rarely do I tell people to check out the things I like (I'm referring to friends and co-workers). And with so much tv being incredibly good now I don't really know how to get people to watch a melodrama about a rich family living on a ranch in Montana. It's not based on superheroes, it's not high concept and doesn't involve any meta-commentary. On the surface it sounds incredibly dry. Boring-ass Kevin Costner is the patriarch of a ranch and his kids are a bunch of spoiled brats. Local politics and whatnot are encroaching on their way of life and they push back against the powers that be. It's not part of a hokey franchise or adapted from a stale book. It isn't a remake of an old movie or tv show. There's no CGI or pop songs in it.

The best way I can describe it is by saying if you like Taylor Sheridan's other work (HELL OR HIGH WATER, SICARIO, WIND RIVER), then you will absolutely love this. It's cut from a similar cloth. Every scene feels like the best scene you'd see in other shows. It never lets up. There's never a weak episode or superfluous padding. Just lots of great acting, great writing and some of the best real scenery you can see and wonderful cinematography to capture it all.

If you're tired of geek culture tributes and also-ran concepts and actors who don't emote, then do give this series a shot. I think you'd be surprised how much you'll like it.

Now if you'll excuse me I have more Barstool pizza reviews to watch....

I watched the first episode of YELLOWSTONE based on your terrific recommendation (and the fact that I didn't know the mind behind SICARIO was involved), you were dead on. This is an instantly addictive, smart, fabulously cast show. Already some pretty shocking developments in just one extra long episode. Loved seeing some familiar folks from stuff like P2 and TRUE DETECTIVE. I'm in for the long haul now, thanks for taking the time to push this. I'm also in shock that Paramount Network actually pulled a good show out of their asses, I was under the impression they were pretty much pure garbage.

Comment

I'm glad you liked it, Andrew!
                  Paramount is really throwing a lot of money behind it and it shows. It's a first class production and not something I'd expect from them. It's cliche to say these days but it feels like watching a movie not a tv show. I should probably start a separate thread for it.

Comment

Started Yellowstone with my wife the other night, and damn, what a show! Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      I'm glad you liked it, Andrew!
                      Paramount is really throwing a lot of money behind it and it shows. It's a first class production and not something I'd expect from them. It's cliche to say these days but it feels like watching a movie not a tv show. I should probably start a separate thread for it.
                      It really is much more like an extended film for sure, Scott. The production design and overall class locations really give it a high quality. I'm 4 episodes in now and it just keeps getting better and better. The emotional punch the show has is unique, as is the overall sense of sadness and regret. It's kinda trite and simplistic but one of the critic's quotes I saw referred to this as THE GODFATHER in the west and that does sort of sum up the complex family relationships and shady doings (not the bus stop, take him to the train station). It's getting harder and harder to not just keep binging, haha.

Comment

I'm happy to oblige you gents! The Godfather is a good comparison, the major setup and players are very similar. I think I watched the first season in 2 or 3 days. I couldn't help myself. 9 episodes goes by fast. Season 2 has 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                          (not the bus stop, take him to the train station).
                          Oh, that was awesome. In fact, I think that's one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long time. The scene in the redneck bar was so intense!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                            Oh, that was awesome. In fact, I think that's one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long time. The scene in the redneck bar was so intense!
                            Absolutely, Matt. Another cool thing about this is that amid all the intense stuff it blends in scenes of the new cowhand saving the little calf and getting his ass kicked yet being part of the family because of the brand. And Costner and his grandkid and the river....damn.

Comment

Yeah, it really hits all the spots. There's a scene that happens in Season 2 that filled me with tearful joy. Amid all the sadness and regret there's also heaps of hope. I can't stop gushing about this damn show. I'm so glad you guys like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                                And Costner and his grandkid and the river....damn.
                                I must say that I'm really impressed with the young actor who plays Tate. What a discovery!

Comment

Working...
                                X