No announcement yet.

TV worth watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoyed the first series of Brassic, but haven't watched the others. The finale of the first series ripped off Shameless a bit too much for my liking, it's twisted but strangely lightweight as well. Take away the more lurid and salacious aspects and it's like Last of the Summer Wine!

​​​​
    agent999
    Last edited by agent999; 01-10-2023, 12:05 AM.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• I haven't seen a huge amount of Shameless so missed anything like that. I believe they're from the same showrunner?
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I think he was one of the writing staff, but not the head honcho.

Comment

• Florida Man

I've never come across it but apparently the term Florida Man is a meme thing. Every time someone does something really stupid on the news the report begins "a Florida Man" and so the meme runs that it's the same guy for all of the stories. Anyway, sad origins of the title aside what you've got yourself here is a neo-noir, black comedy thing about stupid people, doing stupid things in Florida, in the search for a fortune of doubloons.

It's not amazing. This is one of those tv shows that should have been a movie. The pacing is shot to shit and all the delays in the story are more frustrating than fun. Still it does have some low rent Coen-esque charm at times and there are definitely laughs to be had. The lead actor mysteriously sports a South American accent. Which is super fucking weird because his character is born and raised in Florida. Deepening the mystery is his dad is played by Aussie Anthony Lapaglia sporting an American accent. So how did that accent come to be? His sister in the show looks Latino but also has an American accent. It is befuddling.

Anyway, if you are missing Hap And Leonard this hits a similar level of entertaining, but slightly disappointing, charm.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Succession wound up last night after a far too brief 4 season run. I read a couple reviews this morning calling it the best show of the last decade. Well, the last decade is by far the best decade for TV ever so let's just call it as it is, Succession set new standards for telly and nothing else is really close at this point.

Top conclusion to the show and predictably brutal. Hopefully Jesse follows through on his musings for a spin off. I could spend a lot more time with the Roy's or even the Swedes if he went that way.

Comment

• Watch Accused: Guilty or Innocent great series I would suggest you all to watch this series.

Comment

• Both We Hunt Together and Irwine Welch's Crime got second seasons which I watched recently. Both were only slight drop offs in quality, which made me wanna come here and recommend them.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• The Curse:

The Safdie brothers make a move into tv and bring, oddly, Nathan Fielder along with them. This is still just 3 episodes in but it's a bit of fun so far. Fielder and Stone are a couple of reality tv doofuses who have almost convinced themselves that they are gentrifying a slum town out of the goodness of their own hearts. It's quite possible this show is not going anywhere but it's had some very odd moments so far. There's a sex scene in the first ep that will stick with me... Stone's always good and Fielder is doing a performance halfway between Justin Bateman and Cousin Greg. I swear he studied the shit out of Cousin Greg before camera's rolled.

Squid Game: The Challenge:

I've been watching a bunch of Korean and Japanese reality shows recently and was disappointed when this turned out to be American. The Koreans are just- well, they're just wonderful. That said the Americans kind of work here. That thing that Americans on tv have where they seem to have this self image of themselves as heroes in their own worlds works well for this material.

This is probably the best reality show in recent memory. The producers consistently find ways to make the contestants make the most unpleasant choices available at all times. There's a brutality to it that's very in keeping with the original show. Damn, now I want proper Squid Game season 2.

Comment

• Slow horses season 3 is on AppleTV+. Still great. Not on the insane "Best series ever made" lever as seasons 1 and 2, but still great.
                    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                      Slow horses season 3 is on AppleTV+. Still great. Not on the insane "Best series ever made" lever as seasons 1 and 2, but still great.
                      I like this show more the longer it runs. Goes without saying that Oldman is spectacular but I always enjoy a good seige storyline and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ties off this week.

There's a bit on at the moment. Reachers back.It's a bit conventional for me but I do enjoy the guy playing the lead.

I've recently started Search Party. It's a chaotic comedy about the most unpleasant twenty somethings you've ever met who kill a guy and try to cover it up. You despise everyone in the show but you are meant to, so its fine.

Nicholas Winding Refn has a new TV show. Now before you get too excited I should point out that it is The Famous Five. That has to be about the most unlikely creator/show combination imaginable. Damned if it doesn't work though. It even feels Refn-esque at times, like the opening credits or when Georges first words to the other famous five are 'do you want to see a dead body?'. They do.

Fargo back. It's got John Hamm this season though on the whole it feels like it's dragging a bit despite the cast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                        The Curse:

The Safdie brothers make a move into tv and bring, oddly, Nathan Fielder along with them. This is still just 3 episodes in but it's a bit of fun so far. Fielder and Stone are a couple of reality tv doofuses who have almost convinced themselves that they are gentrifying a slum town out of the goodness of their own hearts. It's quite possible this show is not going anywhere but it's had some very odd moments so far. There's a sex scene in the first ep that will stick with me... Stone's always good and Fielder is doing a performance halfway between Justin Bateman and Cousin Greg. I swear he studied the shit out of Cousin Greg before camera's rolled.

just finished this. funny you mention Cousin Greg cuz this show reminded me of Succession quite a bit, as far as unlikable characters go.

was kind of going back and forth between liking it and losing interest until the third episode. ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

think i might give this one another watch again on some timeofffromwork coming up

Comment

• Originally posted by JLG View Post

just finished this. funny you mention Cousin Greg cuz this show reminded me of Succession quite a bit, as far as unlikable characters go.

was kind of going back and forth between liking it and losing interest until the third episode. ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

think i might give this one another watch again on some timeofffromwork coming up
                          I ended up really liking it too. As you say, it can be a bit difficult to get into because it's hard to see where it's going. Well where it was going was wierd and I'm happy with that. Its interesting to see tv take those kind of chances and be so edgy and then by contrast you watch a movie like Saltburn, that desperately wants to be edgy, and it just wraps itself up so cleanly that there's nothing of interest left at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I ended up really liking it too. As you say, it can be a bit difficult to get into because it's hard to see where it's going. Well where it was going was wierd and I'm happy with that. Its interesting to see tv take those kind of chances and be so edgy and then by contrast you watch a movie like Saltburn, that desperately wants to be edgy, and it just wraps itself up so cleanly that there's nothing of interest left at the end.
                            did not know anything about The Curse before i watched it except for the teaser

this totally surprised me where it went cuz i kept thinking a chicken was going to come out...

anyway, i'd like to see more mainstream shows/movies that leave you wondering

Comment

• Wolf creek seasons 1 & 2 on tubi. Not great not terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biliousss View Post
                                Wolf creek seasons 1 & 2 on tubi. Not great not terrible.
                                I've watched the first season which I thought was pretty good. Got season two sitting in my unwatched pile of discs. The biggest problem is that the second movie is a hard act to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X