X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47lab
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    Anyone watching The Naked Director? New Japanese Netflix series about a mild mannered salesman who chucks it in to first distribute dirty magazines, and then make dirty magazines, and finally (at least where I'm up to) pioneer JAV at the dawn of VHS.

Pretty wild stuff that is apparently based on a true story. Could almost have been made by Miike with all the fun the directors obviously having. I've only seen 3 so far but good, dirty fun if you're up for it.
    I've been watching. Frankly lily is pretty good in it too as the cop. I've been wanting to check out that BBC documentary on Toru Muranishi but haven't tracked it down. Anyone see it?

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Check out this piece of shit.

Neil LaButte doing his own take on Lost though this time the trailer tells you upfront that it's all a simulation. The show doesn't by the way so they really should stick "SPOILERS" on that shit. Wierd guy LaButte. You get the impression he takes himself seriously but then does the Wicker Man and stuff like this. Can't quite work him out.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    I've not seen this yet, Dom, but thanks for bringing it to my attention as I reckon this could be fascinating.
    Curious what you think of it when you get to it. We finished it off a couple days ago. Loved it.

Just wanted to give another shout out for Succession. The new has been even better than the first.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    Anyone watching The Naked Director? New Japanese Netflix series about a mild mannered salesman who chucks it in to first distribute dirty magazines, and then make dirty magazines, and finally (at least where I'm up to) pioneer JAV at the dawn of VHS.

Pretty wild stuff that is apparently based on a true story. Could almost have been made by Miike with all the fun the directors obviously having. I've only seen 3 so far but good, dirty fun if you're up for it.
    I've not seen this yet, Dom, but thanks for bringing it to my attention as I reckon this could be fascinating.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    I was watching the trailer for that yesterday, looks awful...

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Too lazy to start a tv not worth watching thread, but Carnival Row would be in it. Impossible to take seriously after Year of the Rabbit, and the political allegory is so heavy handed it would crush its own dick masturbating.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    And Costner and his grandkid and the river....damn.
    I must say that I'm really impressed with the young actor who plays Tate. What a discovery!

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied
    Yeah, it really hits all the spots. There's a scene that happens in Season 2 that filled me with tearful joy. Amid all the sadness and regret there's also heaps of hope. I can't stop gushing about this damn show. I'm so glad you guys like it!

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
    Oh, that was awesome. In fact, I think that's one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long time. The scene in the redneck bar was so intense!
    Absolutely, Matt. Another cool thing about this is that amid all the intense stuff it blends in scenes of the new cowhand saving the little calf and getting his ass kicked yet being part of the family because of the brand. And Costner and his grandkid and the river....damn.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    (not the bus stop, take him to the train station).
    Oh, that was awesome. In fact, I think that's one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long time. The scene in the redneck bar was so intense!

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied
    I'm happy to oblige you gents! The Godfather is a good comparison, the major setup and players are very similar. I think I watched the first season in 2 or 3 days. I couldn't help myself. 9 episodes goes by fast. Season 2 has 10.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands

• Andrew Monroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    I'm glad you liked it, Andrew!
    Paramount is really throwing a lot of money behind it and it shows. It's a first class production and not something I'd expect from them. It's cliche to say these days but it feels like watching a movie not a tv show. I should probably start a separate thread for it.
    It really is much more like an extended film for sure, Scott. The production design and overall class locations really give it a high quality. I'm 4 episodes in now and it just keeps getting better and better. The emotional punch the show has is unique, as is the overall sense of sadness and regret. It's kinda trite and simplistic but one of the critic's quotes I saw referred to this as THE GODFATHER in the west and that does sort of sum up the complex family relationships and shady doings (not the bus stop, take him to the train station). It's getting harder and harder to not just keep binging, haha.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Started Yellowstone with my wife the other night, and damn, what a show! Thanks for the recommendation!

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied
    I'm glad you liked it, Andrew!
    Paramount is really throwing a lot of money behind it and it shows. It's a first class production and not something I'd expect from them. It's cliche to say these days but it feels like watching a movie not a tv show. I should probably start a separate thread for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X