Kids in the Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids in the Hall

Didn't see a thread on the show specifically. If there is one, merge.

Loved TKITH when I was in high school. I remember when Comedy Central first started in the 90s. There was a show called Short Attention Span Theater. It was mostly clip based. To my recollection, the majority of the clips were from Monty Python's Flying Circus and The Kids in the Hall. SAST made me a huge fan of both shows. Interesting bit of info... Jon Stewart was one of the original hosts on SAST. I thought he was hysterical back then. When the Daily Show started I was like "Hey! The SAST guy!" Unfortunately I wasn't a fan of the Daily Show.

Anyway, loved KITH back then. I wasn't then, nor am I now, a fan of sketch comedy in general. I liked SNL a bit back in the Chase/Aykroyd era, but only in a if-it-happened-to-be-on way. I enjoyed TKITH way more. I thought it was way funnier and didn't go over my head the way SNL usually does. It was funny and offensive for the sake of being funny and offensive. The humor is way weirder and I liked the fact that the guys seemed like they were legitimately friends in a way people in most sketch comedy didn't.

We've been rewatching the series between movies and during dinner. Ian says that the American broadcasts were probably cut and I can see why. A lot of bits that probably wouldn't have been allowed on US TV. It's been fun rewatching and, in some cases, seeing episodes for the first time. I'm sure I never saw all of them back then.

Never saw any of the movies. Still doubt they're worth it.

Scott Thompson has always reminded me of someone. Wish I could remember who it is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	scottthompsonpress_horizcrop-1 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	369322
    Dave Foley
    17.65%
    Bruce McCulloch
    29.41%
    Kevin McDonald
    17.65%
    Mark McKinney
    5.88%
    Scott Thompson
    29.41%
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Yeah, I can't quite place it but he looks familiar.

And yes, the US airings were definitely cut, at least the ones I saw when I moved to Portland in the early 2000s were.

They got away with a lot in the original Canadian episodes that I don't think they'd necessarily get away with now (the 'Running Faggot, Running Free' sketch comes to mind) but none of their material ever felt mean spirited.

I remember watching the episode where Bruce McCulluch did the 'I don't spread for no roses' bit with my grandmother when it first aired. She didn't think it was funny. She also thought Thompson's bits where he played the Queen were horribly offensive, haha.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

the Tammy video was horrifying, haha. I never found the Bruno Ponce-Jones or whatever, with Francesca Fiore to be funny, and even Buddy fell flat on occasion for me. The "Running Faggot" and bear sketch (where Thompson gets called a fag everytime he leaves the house, no matter how masculine he tries to be) fucking SLAY me everytime. Too many memorable sketches to note, but it was consistently funny and still holds up well, for the most part.

The Death Comes To Town was not only a ripoff of League of Gentlemen, it was also pretty damn unfunny, and Brain Candy was pretty shitty outside of a few moments. But the original show is stellar. I understand that the original episodes were cut, though whether it was for content because Americans wouldn't understand, or because it was offensive, I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
        I understand that the original episodes were cut, though whether it was for content because Americans wouldn't understand, or because it was offensive, I do not know.
        Hmmmm... I wonder?

Name:	scottthompsonpress_horizcrop-1 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	354621
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I DON'T SEE IT.

Comment

Best sketch show ever.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
              I DON'T SEE IT.
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I remember going to visit my uncle who lived in downtown Toronto at the time. When he met us at the bus station he told us how weird it was that on the way there, he's seen a bunch of naked people standing around holding signs that said 'NAKED FOR JESUS.' A few weeks later, I saw the sketch on TV and told him about it - he had no idea who KITH were or that it was a comedy bit being shot, he thought it was a bunch of weird hippies.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I used to watch this religiously when it was screened on late-night UK television 'back in the day'. I was a big fan of MONTY PYTHON and KIDS IN THE HALL seemed like a spiritual successor to that show. To this day, there are some catchphrases from KIDS IN THE HALL that I find myself using regularly - often to the bemusement of people who don't remember the series at all.

I've bought the first and third seasons on DVD.

'I'm squishing your head'.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

When I was a teenager and played squash competitively, I decided to put the Eradicator logo on the squash balls that I used in tournaments. I used Liquid Paper to make it and it looked less than perfect but I still thought it was funny. I don't think anyone I ever went up against got the joke though.

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	354624
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      When I was a teenager and played squash competitively, I decided to put the Eradicator logo on the squash balls that I used in tournaments. I used Liquid Paper to make it and it looked less than perfect but I still thought it was funny. I don't think anyone I ever went up against got the joke though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20494[/ATTACH]
                      THE ERADICAAATORRRRRR!!!!!

Comment

Catchphrases I still use....

1. "Thirty Helens Agree"
                        2. "I'm The King of the Mercy Fuck!"
                        3. "IT WAS CITIZEN KANE!!! IT WAS CITIZEN KANE!"
                        4. "That's fuckin' good ham"
                        5. "I pee through my penis!"
                        6. "You don't like us" (from the banker doesn't like us)
                        7. "Remember, don't say anything, or....chop chop!"
                        8. "To Reg! And ritualistic murder!"
                        9. "EVIL!!!"
                        10. "My Pen!!!"
                        11. "Slipped my mind"
                        12. "These kids at my school? They smoke. And they taught their dog to smoke"
                        13. "But I want an apology NOW!"
                        14. "Like a soft breeze blowin' through my bank account".
                        15. "Try it now!"
                        16. "I'll have the putrid soup"
                        17. "He doesn't stand a chance in hell! He's got a MEAT HAND!!!"
                        18. "Get out of my cab, you Serbian bastard!"

Comment

Kills me every damn time.

Comment

"Daddy drank..."
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh my god, that's another one that I use..."I'm just kidding, I'd never buy you a puppy!"

Comment

Working...
                              X