R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

News has come out this morning that he took his own life, CNN has confirmed it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/b...mid=tw-nytimes
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

His food/travelogue show on CNN was excellent.

Comment

Agreed. He was an interesting guy. His Hungry Ghosts comic from Dark Horse was really cool too.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didn't know he was dating Asia Argento at the time of his death. Poor Asia is having a particularly rough year.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Certain social media users are implying she may have caused it due to a tweet she posted just before. Even if it was aimed at him (which is pure speculation), it's pretty fucking stupid of people to think that would be enough for someone to kill themself. Way to kick her when she's down.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Seemed like a genuinely nice guy who respected the culinary customs he visited and didn't pass judgement. I still remember when he was getting inundated with messages telling him not to go China due to the practice of eating dog meat and he basically told them they're hypocrites and to fuck off. Never understood the double standards laid at Asians for eating dogs and whaling when the Swiss also eat cats and dogs and Norway, Iceland among others hunt whales in greater numbers than the Japanese. But you don't hear all the public outcry and handwringing with a lot of the narrative being driven by racial animus. Well, then again it's no surprise really as Western fragility and hypocrisy is plain to see.

Comment

I think it's the footage coming out of China of them torturing the dogs for laughs that causes people to get upset. There's some shocking stuff coming out that unfortunately I've sometimes been unable to avoid seeing. No idea if it's true but I've heard it said a bunch of times that in China its thought the dogs taste better if they are tortured and terrified. A bit of out cry is probably fair enough if that's the case.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

This could potentially be very interesting.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/06/ro...ry-1234641763/

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I knew who he was, but I'm not a big cooking show guy, so I wasn't familiar. Have since watched a bunch of his stuff, and that dude was amazing. Shame he wasn't able to conquer those demons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                    I knew who he was, but I'm not a big cooking show guy, so I wasn't familiar. Have since watched a bunch of his stuff, and that dude was amazing. Shame he wasn't able to conquer those demons.
                    Did you ever see the photo of him when he was dating Asia Argento, both of them looking incredibly ripped:

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Here's a picture of Asia on a tv show in Rome from earlier this year:

Quite a different look for her.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Damn, dude was jacked!

Comment

He trained in jiu-jitsu everyday when he wasn't on the road filming.
                          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            No kidding! Weird seeing her dressed like that.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Revisited LAND OF THE DEAD on the project about a week and a half ago... and, yes, she's lovely in that fillum. This pink trouser suit, on the other hand...
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X