New Netflix series: Mindhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Netflix series: Mindhunter

David Fincher directs several episodes (and is one of the producers). You can see the influence of "Zodiac", as well as "7even". Based on the book (and life) of John Douglas, who helped develop FBI profiling (Behavioral Science Unit), and was the basis of Jack Crawford and perhaps even Will Graham characters in the Thomas Harris novels. I just watched the entire first season this weekend (10 episodes), and I heartily recommend. Season Two looks like it's going to be pretty crazy, now that things have been established.

I didn't find another thread about this, so sorry if its a repeat of info.

I thought there was a thread on this but you're right, no dice. Was planning on starting this after finishing Stranger Things S2. It looks to be really well done and pretty intense stuff.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I enjoyed it, but....the series starts off with Ed Kemper. And the guy who plays him is so amazing, that everything without Kemper feels less intense. Still, great television.

Comment

The Ed Kemper guys is great. Loving his scenes.

I'm only a couple episodes in but I'm not really sold as yet. It feels oddly naive. I don't really buy how wide eyed and clueless our lead is. I think if the actor played a bit more deadpan they'd get away with some of the simplistic takes on criminality but his "oh golly gosh" mannerisms don't tally with him being a seasoned hostage negotiator. Like when he hears someone say "are criminals born or made" and he reacts like his minds just been blown. The lines stupid anyway. It's so generalised as to be meaningless- and a cliche to boot- and it shouldn't get any reaction from this character but instead it acts to galvanise him.

Like with Fincher's House Of Cards before it, it looks to be taking itself very seriously but feels strangely dumbed down.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Pretty good, but still not at all worthy of its hype. Very slow moving and the plot was so obvious and signaled in advance that I had trouble caring once it got to where it was so obviously heading. Quite cliche characters also, (Bill Tench) and I agree with Dom about the younger fed. He felt really unbeleviable.

The good sides though is excellent mood and style and some good really acting (Kemper for example), but overall its flaws are way to big to ignore.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I just finished episode 8. Great series. Epic soundtrack. Must have spent a fortune on music rights
            Anthony A
            Last edited by Anthony A; 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Putting this on my list.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I saw the 1st episode and thought it was a lame version of Hannibal with a lame version of Will Graham.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

S2 confirmed.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...n-2-confirmed/
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The guy playing Manson in S2 is the same guy playing Manson in the new Tarantino movie.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/mi...no-1201999097/
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm surprised This Thread doesn't have more traction. I thought season 1 was fantastic and I am jacked about season 2. But I'm a serial killer junkie so that makes sense. there was a lot of padding with the girlfriend though, and it made some scenes drag on, but for the most part I was riveted to the TV.

I dig that they used real serial killers and not some hyped-up Hollywood ones. Nothing's more horrific than the actual people and they're horrible Acts.

Comment

I liked it, but as I said, lost a lot of steam for me once Kemper wasn't the main attraction.

Comment

New season is so far so good. Two episodes in and they just talked to Son of Sam. I think they could have cast him better. No Kemper yet, Mark.

Comment

Ripoff. I'm hoping to check it out, but likely won't be this month.

Comment

Working...
                              X