No announcement yet.

A thread about Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Ray Moore would be the ultimate pimp doctor. I like to think that many worlds theory means that's happening right now.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Indira Varma cast in the upcoming season.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-...rchwood-actor/
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Patrick Troughton Earns Historical Blue Plaque!

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/doctor-w...e-plaque-honor
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• The Daleks is being colourised and cut down to 75 mins for the 60th Anniversary celebrations.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-fe...-colourisation

It's funny I would usually be 100% against recutting anything but I can't find it in me to mind this. The original The Daleks clocks in at about 175 minutes. It's a slog. Only the most dedicated Dr Who fan would consider it and I might even baulk at it myself these days. It's not like these were auterist works. You know they were just timing things out to hit episode lengths rather than considering rewatchability into the future.

Assuming they've done a good job I wouldn't mind if they started to cutting up some others as well. Its possible theyve been testing this for a while. The BBC is already releasing cut up versions of serials on YouTube but they're unwatchable unless you already know the stories because there's not been a lot of thought given to making them make sense. It really wouldn't be hard to cut 4 episode serials down to 60 minutes and not lose anything and then those episodes would be accessible to non fans.
          Last edited by Dom D; 11-06-2023, 06:57 AM.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Yep, being a fan of classic Who can be a slog. Massive kerfuffle going on around An Unearthly Child, the first ever story. BBC have removed it from streaming due to the son of the scriptwriter not giving permission. He wants more money than the BBC were willing to pay, and blames the BBC for the death of his father. The DVD is still relatively cheap and available for now, but this could prevent the first season ever getting a Blu Ray release. It could also encourage other relatives of deceased writers to come out of the woodwork and try to shake them down. He's also claiming that his father came up with the Tardis, which is disputed by the director. If this person was legally found to have the rights to the Tardis, it could completely derail things.

Comment

• Lost Doctor Who episodes found – but owner is reluctant to hand them to BBC

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...nd-them-to-bbc
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Wow, some people are paranoid. Do they think they're going to do prison time?!

Comment

• A bunch of older Who episodes are now on Tubi.

https://sandlershandlings.substack.c...eaming-on-tubi
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• In Australia old Who got pulled from Brit Box a while back after the new deals were signed. Currently unavailable anywhere. I hope there's a plan.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• A little trifle from the Doctor Who team to warm us up for the upcoming specials. Davros is up on his feet to get away from disability=evil stereotypes but on the other hand I'm surprised to see the Kaleds still looking they've been outfitted by Hugo Boss. I feel we're not too far from that type of imagery being verboten in kids programming.

Comment

• First special has dropped with very little fanfare from Disney. Jeez... I expected Dr Who to at least make the banner they run up the top of the app that highlights their dozen top attractions but The Making of Loki, the Beatles video clip and Young Jedi Adventures all trump it. That's got to be a worry for the series headed forwarded. Their new home really doesn't give a shit. It feels like a calculated snub frankly.

That said, solid opening. I didn't get into Davies Dr Who back in the day but I've been tracking back and filling in the gaps after falling in love with Moffet Who. This feels like it picks up exactly where Davies left off. Not the best thing on telly, but solid weekend night viewing for an old doctor who fan.

Feels like a winner. The only thing that struck me as odd was they totally turned the sonic screwdriver into a magic wand. The SS (to use an unfortuante acronym) has always had an uncomfortable place in doctor who given it all too often functions as a deux ex machima and this leans into that to a very unexpected extent. Mind you, next week it will probably be useless and we will continue on without it. Best to never expect continuity from Dr Who. Never have yet, not about to start now.

Comment

• The only continuity I expect from this new run of Who is preachiness. RTD isn't fit to change Davros' colostomy bag.

I miss escapism.
                          agent999
                          Last edited by agent999; 11-26-2023, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Special number 2 is a pretty damned good romp. There's a really nice slow burn horror scene early on that I think will scare the living snot out of any little tykes you have watching the show with you. Tennants doctor is gay apparently. Following on from Whitakers Doctor who was gay, following on from Capaldi's Doctor who was aesexual but who's final companion was gay, all leading into the Ncuti Gatwa era.. I'm all for inclusivity and whatnot but they do seem to be laying it on with a fucking trowel. I do prefer when the Doctors aesexual, at this point he's tens of thousands of years older than anyone and it seem downright dodgy being interested in earth people. The Yaz thing last season was particularly awkward given the way the Doctor kept telling Yaz (who was very young) "you're the most extroidinary person I'ver ever met" when Yaz was the dullest companion since... well since before the shows reboot at least.
                            Last edited by Dom D; 12-03-2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Special 3: the best of a strong bunch. I dug this one. Dougie Houser is having a ball. The decades overdue return of the celestial toymaker. Mel unexpectedly turning up and almost making me feel fond of her- I still don't forgive her for a bunch of those 90s episodes.

Excellent introduction to Ncuti Gatwa as the doctor. I'm looking forward to his run. Usually doctors take a few episodes to find their feet. I feel like Gatwa hit the ground running here, and did so in his pants. He only has 5 minutes but he owns them.

There's a fitting send off for Tennant, though I suspect we are still to see a lot more of him.

There wasn't much about these 3 episodes that feel like a 60th Anniversary celebration but they are very solid doctor who that progressively get better from the first one to the last and I'm just happy to see that the show looks to have a future after a very shaky Chibnall run.

Comment

• No release date or other details yet but there is a pre-order page up for this...

https://amzn.to/489WTvV

Click image for larger version

Name:	61IyOC76MbL.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	424602
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X