Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• So I watched the last episode. Someone had to. It's a strange ending for Chibnall/Whitaker. The next Doctor got announced so long ago that I think everyone just wants to get to that. This felt like last rites for a grim period of Doctor Who. I was reading an interview with Chibnal the other day and they asked him what were the best episodes of his run. He gave Rosa and the Partition episode. ie the episodes where they decided to give us a preachy history lesson rather than Doctor Who. It doesn't surprise me but it does put an exclamation mark on the self importance and lack of connection this crew had with why people watch Doctor Who. I don't get my history from Doctor Who guys. Sorry.

But this episode, it was nice to see a bunch of the old crew in this episode. Great to see Ace again. She was most excellent. They reference a bit of Ace/Doctor history that isn't in the show. I guess it's from the audio books? That's a bit shit.

Why they choose Tegan as the other companion to make a return is more mystifying. Are there Tegan fans out there? She was terrible back then and she has not improved with age. There's a bunch of doctors here too. That sat a bit strangely with me. Great to see them but they're old. Why would they be old when they regenerated young? I guess it doesn't matter, that they're there is the point. Enjoyed hearing McCoy rrrrroll his rs one last time.

Annoying that they spoiled the Tennant reveal by putting out the trailer for the next season immediately after the episode. Not many people watch the show live BBC. We watch it on catchup and you ruined a fun bit.

Anyway... The episode is frenetic and shouty as "fun" Chibnall episodes tend to be. It's very hard to follow. It gets the job done and was about as good as we can hope for at this point.

Turns out there was no payoff to the Timeless Child stuff. When the Master did that PowerPoint presentation on the Doctors past we thought that was setup for a new story thread but that was Chibnall calling the job done. No follow through for Jo Martin's Doctor. She was good and she got nothing. Annoying. Fingers crossed all that nonsense gets ret conned.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I was fine with the episode but I agree with the Tennant appearance being a screw up since I only watched it tonight and found out about it before I watched it so not surprise for me.

The Doctors aging was sort of mentioned in the show as being the image being aged from when the companions last saw them, of course that doesn't explain Whittaker seeing them as old but oh well.

I think they nave been trying to get cameos from all the older ones so it was probably just Tegan's turn.

The next episode doesn't air until November of next year. I know Covid has probably affected some of the timelines but it seems an awfully long time the last series of episodes have taken to air. Plus the return of Catherine Tate? I consider her the worse of all the companions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas Wood View Post
          Plus the return of Catherine Tate? I consider her the worse of all the companions.
          Her character was a disappointment. I've always enjoyed her comedy so I figured she'd be grand. When I eventually got around to watching the Tennants though it was disappointing to see they didn't give her anything funny to work with. They kind of went whiney and annoying for her. Odd choice given her skill set.

Originally posted by Thomas Wood View Post
          I think they nave been trying to get cameos from all the older ones so it was probably just Tegan's turn.
          There's so many they could have done though! What's Lala Wardh or Louise Jameson up to? Just wracking my brains to come up with a worse Dr Who companion than Tegan and I'm not sure I can.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post

There's so many they could have done though! What's Lala Wardh or Louise Jameson up to? Just wracking my brains to come up with a worse Dr Who companion than Tegan and I'm not sure I can.
            In the old series I tend to agree that Fielding was the worse of the companions. I suspect Fielding and Aldred were used because they were available and had not appeared in the new series yet. Plus they have appeared on the making of segments on the blu-ray collections so this may have been a "reward" for doing them.

Comment

Just wracking my brains to come up with a worse Dr Who companion than Tegan and I'm not sure I can.
              Bonnie Langford! Spent an hour thinking on this, because I have the time, and came up with Langford as a more annoying companion than Feilding. She was bloody awful...just googling her quickly I see she played Violet Elizabeth Bott once upon a time. Sounds right. Feildings number 2.

Comment

Bonnie Langford! Spent an hour thinking on this, because I have the time, and came up with Langford as a more annoying companion than Feilding. She was bloody awful...just googling her quickly I see she played Violet Elizabeth Bott once upon a time. Sounds right. Feildings number 2.
                Shit, thanks for reminding me of that childhood trauma. I remember the days when families just had the one TV set, and my sister insisted on watching Just William. You haven't seen annoying until you've seen her in that. I just roll my eyes each time I see which sad British TV has-beens get cast these days. I don't see the purpose but, then again, I don't watch anything post Peter Davison.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• I'm not quite old enough to have caught the 70s William series but I would've been on your sisters side on that one. Even now I have a cat called Crompton.

Comment

• Just as long as you don't have a cat called Shaun Hutson.

Comment

• This picture of Tom Baker deserves to live on this site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tom.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	408091
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• "This special multi-platform story will celebrate Doctor Who’s 60th anniversary by introducing a brand-new character on a 24-hour pursuit of the Doctor. And this event will feature a comic story from Titan Comics!

Someone has sent literal Death after Doom. She can only outrun it for 24 hours. Unless she can find the Doctor.

Launching later in 2023, this standalone trans media series will allow Doctor Who fans to follow Doom, the Universe’s greatest assassin, as she travels through all of time and space in pursuit of the Doctor to save her from the ever-approaching Death. She only has 24 hours and a vortex manipulator to save herself before her fate is sealed forever."

More here:

http://doctorwhopaneltopanel.blogspot.com/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Doctor Who is being reimagined as a 60s pimp. I love it.

Comment

• It's a seriously good look. I'm in.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Doctor Who spent the sixties dressed like an old man, not sure why he wants to dress like Austin Powers now. Kind of surprised that they didn't put him in the assistant's outfit and vice versa. Now that would be a look!

Comment

• In the 60s the doctor was an old man and so je dressed like an old man. This doctors a pimp and so he dresses like a pimp.

I've always been strongly of the opinion that the doctor needs to be British, or George Lazenby, but now I'm thinking what a great doctor Richard Roundtree would have made. I could dig it.

Comment

Working...
                                X