New Netflix Series - Stranger Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David H View Post
    I actually saw Day of the Dead in a mall movie theater in 1985.

cool! this is just a personal nitpick. i live in indiana. the mall seems pretty big compared to the malls that were in indianapolis at the time. glendale maybe. glendale does have a movie theater tho. think washington square mall had a movie theater too. pretty sure i saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit there. anyway, i only remember mainstream and family-friendly type movies playing at the malls around here. Day of the Dead at a mall in indianapolis in the 80s seems unlikely to me. the city has grown quite a bit in 30 years but i don't think a Day of the Dead audience would have been what a mall was trying to attract back then. it was farm country when i was a kid. still is but not like it was. i'm thinking Hawkins is supposed to be smaller than indianapolis too.

i was born in 81 so i don't know if Day played in a mall theater around here. just seems very unlikely.

outside of that goofy nitpick i thought season 3 was pretty awesome! some pretty cool moments in there! very nice
    JLG
    Last edited by JLG; 07-07-2019, 02:11 PM. Reason: wahing is washington

Comment

• Suspension of disbelief is such a funny thing. Russians infiltrate into small town America to reopen a gateway into an evil dimension. Fine. Dawn of the Dead playing at a mall? No, you've gone too far...

I'm only a few episodes in but I like the lighter tone and that it trusts the characters enough that they can build this story slowly.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• It was pretty good but not as good as season 1. The 80's references and product placement was insanely obnoxious this time. I'll watch season 4 if there's nothing better to watch.

"Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          Suspension of disbelief is such a funny thing. Russians infiltrate into small town America to reopen a gateway into an evil dimension. Fine. Dawn of the Dead playing at a mall? No, you've gone too far...

I'm only a few episodes in but I like the lighter tone and that it trusts the characters enough that they can build this story slowly.
          kinda funny how that works.

Day of the Dead felt like fan service tho

Comment

• I tried watching season 3 (I liked season 1, and thought 2 was too much of a repeat of season 1, but watchable enough), but it was all so twee and cloyingly cute, I had to quit in episode 2. “My friends don't care that I'm back...” “Aww, they DO care!” “He has a girlfriend!?!” “A GIRLfriend?!?!?!?!” “He keeps kissing my daughter!” It felt like an Adult Swim parody of an old sitcom without the irony.

Comment

• ALL the 80's references are fan service.

Comment

• Finished it last night. Yeah, a lot of fan service and product placement, seemed like more than past seasons, and yeah, a bit too sugary sweet in spots but I enjoyed it quite a bit overall. Much better than S2, which I wasn't really a fan of. I like the dynamic between Steve and Robin a lot and thought that it fleshed things out a bit more than the last run.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• cicadas. coming back in 2021. last time was 2004. thought my car was making noise but it was the cicadas in the trees! i hear them every summer but it was pretty nuts in 2004. huge groups come out every 17 years. 1987 they came out big time! i was pretty young but i remember seeing the dried skinshells they'd leave behind. they were everywhere

if the story gets to 1987 and Hawkins is a setting then this could be a funny thing to work in there. maybe like a Phenomena thing or Exorcist II thing. would be interesting if Eleven has another sibling that can use the cicadas to fight the things from the Upside Down.

this vid is from Indiana too

Comment

• Originally posted by David H View Post
                    I actually saw Day of the Dead in a mall movie theater in 1985.
                    That's totally rad! (corny 80's slang intended)

I agree with previous comments on product placement and fan service. Day of the Dead worked for me though. Nice bit of foreshadowing and I loved that the entire opening scene with original audio was shown. One of my favorite opening scenes. I also really enjoyed that they used Sarah Breaks Down in Episode 6. Day of the Dead has such a great soundtrack!

Comment

• I thought that was damn entertaining telly. This season was really walking a tightrope with the lighter, jokier approach. Hopper is pretty much just a clown now and he was originally the best character (he's still the best character). The Neverending Story moment was a serious stretch. The kids are no longer cute. But somhow they pulled it off. it's funny that it's so hard to do a good sequel to a successful family movie but this show has reeled off three seasons that, to me, were each progressively better than the last. Finished this just in time to get into the new season of Money Heist. Like on K Billies super sounds of the 70s "the good times just keep on truckin'".
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• The Neverending Story moment was a serious stretch.
                        Worst part of the season, and it went on way too long.

Season 4 starts shooting in October.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/357...nger-things-4/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Yeah the 3rd season was better than the last. I agree with the sentiments here regarding NeverEnding story's song.

The big monster was awesome, even if it did remind me of the Thing.

Comment

• The ST twitter feed put up this picture yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71179920_1522502471222764_3996539117004390400_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	356797
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• More references to Back to the Future?

Comment

• I'm gonna go with Doomsday Clock.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X