New Netflix Series - Stranger Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Netflix Series - Stranger Things

"Set in Hawkins Indiana in the 1980s, Stranger Things chronicles the search for a young boy who vanishes into thin air under highly suspicious circumstances. His mother (Winona Ryder) opens an investigation into the boy's disappearance with local authorities that unravels a series of mysteries involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl. A love letter to the ubiquitous cult classics of the '80s, Stranger Things is a coming of age story for three boys that draws this quaint community into a world where mysteries lurk beneath the surface."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Netflix's Stranger Things

This could wind up being fun.

"A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Natalia Dyer, Cara Buono, Charlie Heaton, and Matthew Modine.

Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer (Wayward Pines, Hidden) serve as writer, directors and co-showrunners of the series, and are executive producers along with Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen via their 21 Laps entertainment banner (The Spectacular Now, Night At The Museum, Real Steel, Date Night). Shawn Levy also serves as director. Stranger Things is a Netflix original series.""

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

enjoyed this show. pretty surprised actually.

the lawn sprinkler near the beginning made laugh. not necessarily a goof

Comment

I enjoyed it, even if I felt a little used. Has the same charm as "A Christmas Tale" from "6 Films to Keep You Awake": "original series" might be stretching it for a show that riffs on every damn 80s movie.

It's almost as if netflix somehow knows what people want to watch; it's so targeted it's like Robert Mitchum's plan for tv for cats. Stupid string-dangling.

Comment

Warning: D&D.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
            Robert Mitchum's plan for tv for cats.
            Thanks. I've stolen this for later.

Comment

The trailer looks a lot like the recent Jeff Nichols film Midnight Special.

Comment

It was ok, as a pastiche of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, and all 80's genre films.

However, that was one of the worst acted series in recent memory. I sure don't understand all the praise it's received.

Comment

I'm only one episode into this so I don't have an opinion on the show yet except that I like the cop character. He's good. What's interesting about this show though is how shamelessly it steals. It puts Tarantiino to shame with how blatant it is. Just in the first few minutes you get that credits music and I think "isn't that actually the music from Only God Forgives?" Then they give you that "Chapter One: The Something Something" and my mind instantly switches to Tarantino and I realise, hey, they've actually used his font! Or one almost identical anyway. And so it continues.

Who are the Duffer Brothers anyway? Do they not have individual names? Are the trying to fill the gap now we don't Wachowski Brothers?
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

The 80s references definitely felt like overkill and were often too cool-for-school and often felt out of whack timewise. Some of the dialogue was clumsy to put it mildly but as Dom says the cop character and actor are excellent and the best part for me so far. Oh and the teens actually look like teens.

Comment

Originally posted by Quot View Post
                      It was ok, as a pastiche of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, and all 80's genre films.

However, that was one of the worst acted series in recent memory. I sure don't understand all the praise it's received.
                      Sadly, I have to agree. It was an ok pastiche, as you say. But it is to cliché to really work, and the kids are all pretty much godawful actors. I thought we were past that nowadays, with all the good childrens actors that have popped up recently, but apparently that was not the case.
                      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I enjoyed it, but don't feel it warrants the HOLY FUCKIN SHIT!!! vibe that it's getting online. It was okay. 80's Stephen King/Spielberg mashup as has been said, and that's really about it.

It made me want to watch FIRESTARTER again.

Comment

I've always had a softspot for FIRESTARTER, the film and book. Film is a bit too close to a TV movie in feel but it has an appropriately gonzo and creepy performance from Scott.

Comment

Four episodes in, so I guess that's the half way mark? Enjoying it so far, but yeah, it's not nearly the life changing expierence so many have made it out to be. It's fun, but it's really and truly does just throw a lot of more original works into the blender. I really like the music in the series though and it's fun to catch all the nerdy little references here and there.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I get the hype. I liked it a lot. Yeah it's stealing from everywhere but it's not trying to hide that. It's very much a Stephen King story and one of the characters at one point describes something as being like "out of a Stephen King book" so it's got nothing to hide. It is easy to steal but the trick is to put it together into something that's new. I think this show does that. To me it's another example of how damned good tv is these days. How many actual Stephen King adaptions are even decent? This one starts fresh and pulls off a really fun story.

I'm looking forward to series 2 anyway though I'm kind of surprised they're sticking with the same cast. I would have thought a Fargo-esque reinvention each year would be the way to go as this story feels done but who knows? Maybe they've got some good tricks up their sleeves.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X