Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garth Ennis' The Boys Coming To TV

From CBR:

Deadline has reported that a TV adaptation of Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's is currently in development at Cinemax from the producers that recently brought "Preacher" to AMC.

Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Neal Moritz are involved in the new series, and Rogen and Goldberg helped develop the adaptation along with "Supernatural's" Eric Kripke. Kripke will also write for the series and serve as executive producer. Rogen and Goldberg, who recently directed the pilot for AMC's "Preacher," will direct the pilot for the Cinemax series. Ennis and Robertson will serve as co-executive producers. Additionally, Original Film's Moritz, Pavun Shetty and Ori Marmur; Point Grey's Rogen, Goldberg and James Weaver; as well as Ken Levin and Kickstarter's Jason Netter are on board as EPs.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Now we just need the new Punisher show to follow Ennis' run on the title.

Comment

Seems impossible to adapt correctly to something like TV.

Comment

Cinemax is a good fit. I wonder what kind of budget it will have because the comic has tons of OTT scenes of sex and violence. I personally didn't like it too much, thought it was too juvenile personally. So, if the powers that be smooth out some of the aspects of the comic that didn't work or weren't explained properly then it might work.

I tried to read Punisher MAX and had to put it down. It was just ridiculously OTT. So far I wouldn't consider my fan of Ennis.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I would say The Boys is Ennis' weakest title. A one-note joke repeated over and over.

The Punisher comics are OTT but I think the character kind of deserved that treatment, I hated the 80s/90s grimdark version of the character and they're fun, popcorn-like comics with a combo of crime comic and EC Horror gore that I find fun. Until Ennis' gets to stuff like the last arc and his great Born origin story, where he weaves in the Vietnam stuff to surprising effect, changing the entire sentimental and macho approach to the character.
          Randy G
          Last edited by Randy G; 04-14-2016, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Source.

Seth Rogen on Adapting 'The Boys' for Cinemax

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg have pulled off adapting Preacher, something that seemed less and less possible as the years added up. Now, with that one hitting screens and capitalising on hype by meeting and excelling expectations, the two long-time collaborators look to another of Garth Ennis' comic books for adaptation.

Speaking recently with THR, Rogen revealed that The Boys would be a project set up at Cinemax, where Robert Kirkman is launching his own comic book adaptation Outcast this week.

“We're in a similar place with it now where we were with Preacher. Now that we've convinced everyone to let us adapt this into a show, what are we actually going to do?”

The Boys is the story of a government-supported task force that by any means necessary takes down any superhero who has seemingly gone rogue or lost their sense of duty. In this world, superheroes are no longer respected and admired, but are psychotic and perverse.

Preacher is a confronting book at times, but The Boys ramps that up to a hundred, and is genuinely unsettling and upsetting in parts. “Ten years ago, if you introduced The Boys to a mainstream audience, they would've been mystified, they would be able to identify roughly who was standing in for Batman, Superman, the Hulk, probably Spider-Man and Captain America. Not beyond that," Ennis said.

"Now, 10 years on, with the success of the various franchises, mainstream audiences have been educated in the world of superheroes. So when an Iron Man-esque guy pops up, they'll know who that is. That's going to be simpler.”

The idea of setting a story in the traditional world of superheroes has always been "very appealing" to the duo. There's no word on when we can expect to see the series, but should Preacher continue to do well, expect it sooner rather than later.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Karl Urban is gonna be in this.

http://www.comicon.com/2018/04/05/ka...zons-the-boys/
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Elizabeth Shue has been added to the cast.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/...-amazons-boys/
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Elizabeth Shue has been added to the cast.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/...-amazons-boys/
                  Kick ass. She is a damn good actress. Happy this is on Cinemax,so it wont have to be toned down much. Sure the comic was OTT and a bit juvenile. But at heart most superhero comics are OTT and juvenile.

I love The Boys and try to re-read it every few years. As long as we dont say Lucy Liu as The Female it should be decent.

Comment

Trailer: https://www.cbr.com/boys-first-trailer-amazon/
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It looks like it might be better than the comic. At least the comic is more tuned to Rogan's kind of humor rather than Preacher.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Am I the only one who loves Preacher? Fuck it's a good show. Black Monday from Rogan has started off super well too. And I liked the first series of Future Man also. So Rogan's name seems to be a luck charm for me at the minute.

This looks tops. And it's always good to see Banshee getting more work. If this world was Right then Banshee would be in most shows on the telly.
                        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I got through the third episode of Preacher and shut it off. I will watch anything with Elisabeth Shue, though.

Comment

Preacher majority improved in season 2

Comment

I liked it all but there was definitely a major shift in the show from 2 on. Keeps getting wilder every season. I'm told the next season is being filmed just down the road from me in Melbourne. Don't really see how you can shoot a New Orleans based show in Melbourne.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X