Ray Donovan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Donovan

Anybody watching this? It's been going for a couple years I believe but I'm just 4 episodes in. I'm enjoying it though. Liev Schreiber plays a bad ass Hollywood fixer to the stars. His father (Jon Voight) gets released from prison after 20 years and arrives on Donavans doorstep to wreck havoc.

I've never really noticed Shreiber before but he's impressively Manly in this. All brooding stares and long silences. Makes him a bit one note which may turn out to be a problem for the show but Voight's so much fun as his scumbag dad that four episodes I'm not too bothered by it yet. There's a serious problem with the set up here in that Voight is just able to move in with Donavan's wife and kids who welcome him with open arms. The guys been in prison twenty years for murder! You'd be a bit circumpect around a guy like that... The kids would never have met him and, given the way Donanvan feels about his dad, it's very hard to believe his wife would know him at all. It's hard to get past that...

Still if you can the plotting gets more solid. Subplots introduced in the pilot look like they get left to run for a while but I'm hoping they get refreshed over the next few episodes. Anyway... Worth checking out would be my opinion though I don't vouch for it in any serious way yet.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Found the first season on DVD dirt cheap just now, so I bought it based on this thread. Will let you know what I thought of it when I've gotten around to seeing it.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I recently bought it based on the recommendation of Clive in this thread. Haven't got round to starting it yet, though.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Had a serious binge session of this last night and got through the rest of the season. Verdict: Top show. Super grim, if you sit down and think about it, but always fun which is a good trick if you can pull it off. Builds really nicely. I had thought it was more episodic than it is but it's only telling the one story and it puts it together well. Seems a bit slow at first but that's cause you don't know much to begin with but it keeps teasing out a little bit more information with each episode so you're always learning something about the family. Going to hunt odown season 2.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Got my DVD in the mail today. Gonna get on this soon.

Comment

3 episodes in.

I like it. There are howerver issues:

1. I fucking hate Boston accents. The entire northwestern U.S. need to be sent to re-educational camps and learn how to speak like proper human beings.

2. The tempo. The last 10 minutes of episode 2 is already turning into one of those "filler with Music" ending type deals. I can stant that for maybe 2-3 minutes to get an episode up to the time required, but not the last ten.

3. Ray Donovans wife is such an unspympathetic and annoying idiot that I cannot take her seriously. Why would Ray even be married to such an annoying cunt?

4. The whole "Hollywood Studio" subplots feel so done and meh. It is like a dumber version of that exact same thing on Entourage.

That said, I am liking it thus far. Lets see how this turns out as I progress with my viewing.

Comment

Finnished the first season this afternoon. I liked it. Didn't love it, but I felt it was worth the watch. I felt Ray ought to have shot both his dad and his wife and dumped them in the desert, but hey.... every series needs its annoying characters. Also, my scenario would have been a bit much for american TV audiences most likely.

Comment

Season Two hits Blu-ray 5/26/15.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ian, could you use your super admin powers to correct the spelling in the thread title? Don't know why I thought it was Donavan... must be the Bahston accents...

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                    1. I fucking hate Boston accents. The entire northwestern U.S. need to be sent to re-educational camps and learn how to speak like proper human beings.
                    Well fuck you, ya hahhhd-on.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
                      Well fuck you, ya hahhhd-on.
                      I knew I was gonna get in trouble for that, but I won't budge. The Boston accent is a fucking crime against humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                        3. Ray Donovans wife is such an unspympathetic and annoying idiot that I cannot take her seriously. Why would Ray even be married to such an annoying cunt?
                        I've got to agree with this. I've only watched a handful of episodes so far but that character is quite simply a deeply annoying harridan. I wince whenever she appears on screen. I think it's a combination of the writing and the performance style (a sort of constant, unpleasant version of Paddington Bear's 'hard stare').
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

His wife and kids are definitely the weak link of the show. LOVE Voights fuck up of a character. Lovable scumbag. People rag on Katie Holmes but I think her character was an added plus. I wonder if the Donovans are gonna have to band together to deal with the escalating Armenian situation. Shit will go down. Leland Orser is always quality as well. I suspect he'll be back with something up his sleave too. Best show on tv right now.

Was reading about the show last night and somebody compared Liev/Ray to a drunk hamster. Cannot unsee.
                          Nabonga
                          Last edited by Nabonga; 09-03-2015, 06:54 PM.
                          https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

For anyone who may have dropped out along the way, this season of Ray Donovan has been phe-fucking-nomenal. Probably the best of the run. Well worth your time to jump back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              I've got to agree with this. I've only watched a handful of episodes so far but that character is quite simply a deeply annoying harridan. I wince whenever she appears on screen. I think it's a combination of the writing and the performance style (a sort of constant, unpleasant version of Paddington Bear's 'hard stare').
                              I was stoked when I saw the synopsis for season 5 saying she was dead, and was pissed and stopped watching after three episodes because she was in more of the show than ever before!

Comment

Working...
                              X