• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couches are important.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      Wait.... what?
      The area of Gulfport the show was held in use to be huge seafood warehouses. But in the late 80s the seafood industry in the area shrunk. So now lots of those warehouses sit empty. About a year ago a group rented out one and made it a lazer tag arena. That is currrently zombie themed.

Let me go find a link to to vids from the show I got uploaded.

Myself and my cousin do a quick promo vid for FB before the show started.Sorry it is so dark the arena owners only turned on half the overhead lights.

Opening match from the show. Aztec Warrior Alex Cruz,who helps run Elev8 Pro,vs Zane Stevens.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
        Couches are important.
        I was so happy for them. The drive down was rough,normally 2 hour 20 minute drive became 3 1/2 hours cause of a bad thunderstorm. Usually we are lucky to have a old folding chair to sit on. The couch was a welcome thing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	QiIrkHom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	352423
          About 2 weeks ago made the hour drive up to Pearl MS for my second Pro Wrestling EGO show. Normally at shows I ride up with the head of Bodyslam Media Productions. But he was out of state that weekend,had to goto Arkansas for his grandpa's 80th birthday. So got a friend to drive me up. Plus was gonna have her man my gimmick table while I was filming.

Now I usually do not goto EGO shows. Mostly cause while the shows are fun EGO usually draws at most 30 people. So I never sell enough stuff to cover my gas and after show meal. But this show EGO brought in Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling superstar Michael Elgin. Figuring this would be my only chance to meet Elgin I had to be at the show.

Got there 3 hours before doors opened. Hooked the promoter up with a free dvd. Then asked where I should set up my table. He was super nice and let me set up where I was the first person the crowd saw as they came in. I had planned ahead and brought along two padded folding chairs,since most shows I am lucky to get a chair to sit in. Elgin was doing a training class with all the wrestlers EGO uses. I asked if they needed help setting up chairs or whatever. Got told they were good. So I started setting up my table. Noticed that the wall I was against had a built in bench. So my plan was whenever my ride went out to have a cig I was gonna toss my two chairs back into my car.

Well EGO only rented 100 chairs. And by the time Elgin's training seminar was over all the chairs were taken. He went over to his table and realized he had nothing to sit on. And this man had just made an 10 hour drive down. I walked over to see what he had for sale. Saw he had no chairs so offered to let him borrow mine. Mr Elgin borrowed both my chairs.

I had told the promoter to let me know 10 minutes before the doors opened. That way I could put my Ultimo Gallos mask on. He gave me the signal and I tossed on my mask. Then the crowd started pouring in. I had various wrestling dvds for sale,WWE dog tags,WWE mini figures,a few t-shirts and a few flags. Plus had taken 4 of the dvds that I have been bringing to shows for over a year now that were not selling. Tossed them plus a mini figure and a Jeff Hardy Coloring book into a brown drawstring bag. Called them Mystery bags and was asking $5 for them. Which is a decent deal since the DVDs in it I sell for 5,the mini figure I sell for 2 and the coloring books sell for a buck. About 15 minutes after the doors had opened I had sold enough stuff to cover not only my gas but my pre-show and post show meals.

I look over and there is Michael Elgin sitting at his table and no one is going over. In this area most wrestling fans only watch WWE and TNA. So had no clue who Elgin was. I went over and got him to sign two ROH dvds I own he has matches on.Click image for larger version

Name:	AyxFOgkm.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	352424

While at Elgin's table saw he had brought some of his NJPW shirts with him from his last trip to Japan. Asked how much and if he had my size. He was wanting 25 bucks a shirt,which isn't horrible. So asked him to set to the side one for me and I would get it after the show.

Started looking around and all the chairs on the floor are full and the bleacher behind where I was set up were getting full. Doing a quick count there was around 250 people at the show. So really good for EGO.

Sold all my WWE dogtags. Get them in bulk for 50 cents,each package includes 3 dog tags and a plastic chain. I goto home depot buy beaded chains. Toss two dog tags on it and charge 2 bucks. Also sold almost all my WWE mini figures. Get them in bulk for 50 cents each and sell them for 2 bucks. Plus sold every Jeff Hardy Coloring book I had.

Once the show started I was going all over the gym filming the matches. So my friend was busy running my table. The crowd was very loud and hot. With a few times where I thought a fan was gonna attack one of the heels/bad guys.

Intermission hits and Jay,the promoter,gets on the mic."Hey everyone right now for $5 you can come into the ring and get a picture with NJPW/ROH superstar Michael Elgin!" After about 10 minutes no one has went to get a picture taken. Jay came over to my table,slipped me a 5 and whispered to me "Newt go get a line started." So I went over,and since they had no stairs had to roll into the ring. Positioned myself and Mr Elgin so our backs were to the crowd,took off my mask and got a picture with him. Click image for larger version

Name:	txnvQdil.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	352425

I put my mask back on look up and there is now a line of about 20 people. As I walked away Mr Elgin whispered a quick "Thanks Newt". So back to my table I went. Ended up selling a bunch more stuff.

The semi main event was local guy Rey Fury vs Gary Jay. Gary Jay is building a good name on the indy wrestling scene.
          Watch the first few minutes of this video to see how much the crowd hated Gary Jay. I thought at first the one lady confronting him was a plant. But found out after the show that she wasn't.

The main event was Elgin vs Jon Davis. Davis is another guy that is making a name for himself by traveling all over the deep south. It ended up being a damn good match. Once it was over I headed over to Elgin's table to buy a shirt. He went into his suitcase to get the shirt out and I was pulling my wallet out when he tells me "No charge consider it payment for letting me use your chairs." So SCORE for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	QSKVOjql.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	352426
          Myself wearing the Elgin shirt and my Dr Wagner Jr mask.

Looks like sometime this summer a group of 10 of us are going down to Kiln MS. Which is where the worst indy fed in MS runs weekly shows. The plan is for all of us to sit front row in masks. And MST3K the entire show. I will be sure to take pics and video when we do.

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Newt, I always get a kick out of this thread and really enjoy the updates.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
              "Newt go get a line started."
              Awesome

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Newt, I always get a kick out of this thread and really enjoy the updates.
                Thanks man.

No clue right now when I will hit another show. Did talk to Hollywood Jimmy last night and he asked if we were coming up for his annual Memphis Legends show on Labor Day weekend. Told him as long as Koby is willing to drive I will be there.

Anyways if y'all want to see more of my footage just search for DIY Mississippi Filmworks on youtube. I just recently uploaded the 50th match to my channel. And have been going back thru my archives and adding matches that either I never uploaded or I had on another YT channel that got shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                  Awesome
                  It wasn't until after the EGO show that I realized that pretty much every fan in MS knows who I am. Talking to the EGO promoter found out that after I went up and got a pic with Mr Elgin right at 40 fans did the same. So I am happy that both EGO and Mr Elgin managed to make some money off it.

I need to find the picture and scan it,but back in 2010 the day before Halloween I went to a free outdoor show in town. Which was either Kamala's last match or one of his last 3 matches,Kamala has had to have both legs removed cause of diabetes.During intermission Mitch "Snakeman" Toretta was in the ring with his 8 foot python. And for $5 you could go get a pic with him. I had gotten my father to come to the show,so he wanted me to get a pic with Mitch and the snake.

That was also the same show where I got to meet and become friends with Barry Wolf. Yall that read wrestling magazine will know what Pro Wrestling Illustrated is.Every year they make a list of the top 500 wrestlers in the world. And for the past 15 years or so whoever gets the 500 spot makes it part of their gimmick. Well in 2010 Barry Wolf was number 500. During intermission I was talking to him,having just seen him vs Ron "Fatt Hardy" Horn 3 weeks earlier. Barry was thanking me for doing a show review on my blog. When someone came by and said "Hey Mr 500." So I ended up getting Barry to sign the show poster "Mr 500 Barry Wolf the one man Wolf pack."

And since this is kind of a movie forum got a way to connect Barry to movies. He was an extra in the recent film Free State of Jones. So now he is introduced as Free State of Jones Barry Wolf. I haven't seen the entire film but the one scene were Barry is easy to spot has him sitting there eating peanuts. So now on commentary we joke about how he "Won the Planters Peanuts Oscar for Best Extra in Film."

Comment

Ok no idea why I hadn't posted this before. But I mentioned the Women's Hardcore match I saw were one lady used a broadsword as a weapon. I had uploaded it to youtube not long after I got home from that road trip. And the next day the promoter of that fed messaged me asking me to take down any footage I had uploaded from the show. "Brother we make lots of money off DVD sales. So please take down any full matches from the show you have uploaded." What I never understood is he is the one that invited us all out to film and do commentary.

Now that it has almost been 3 years since the show happened I have been slowly uploading the matches.

VIP Wrestling
                    Arlington TX
                    Labor Day Weekend 2015
                    Claudia vs Bree Ann

This was Claudia's retirement match. What sucks is before the show we all saw her hiding the sword under the ring. After the show I was talking to Claudia for a bit. Asking her if she thought she would miss wrestling."Now I won't miss the injuries and stuff. But I will miss this." Then she showed me what looked to be right at 400 bucks in her cash box. "Gonna miss all the extra money I make off pics and gimmicks."

Comment

Bayou Indie Wrestling was the big fed in my area of the country for about 2 years. Then they had to take a 3 year hiatus.Had their return to my town show tonight. it was cold and rainy as fuck. Doors didn't open until 7pm. The ring truck not only blew a tire somewhere in LA. But also ran into a wreck that delayed it 2 hours.

But still fans were there at 4pm wanting to know when they could come in. Was told they sold 275 tickets and there was about 250 in the crowd. Plus 20 or so either vending,filming or other non-worker jobs.

Highlight of the night was looking over and see that some skinny older lady is trying to attack the heel wrestler as he goes back to the locker room. Then realizing the old lady is a friend of a friend. Rushed over turned my camera on and got 12 seconds of it. She claims he hit her and she is sueing. He got so much heat he didn't come out at intermission. Took 3 of the face wrestlers talking to the lady to get her calmed down enough that she could be trusted.

Ok picture time.

Show's poster. Chase Stevens didn't face Terrele Tempo. He faced Apocalypse Adam Asher instead. Seems a few guys had issues cause of the bad weather and pretty sure one guy worked twice.Once in white trucks and plain white mask as The Pro. Then a 3 way match under his normal ring name.

All the junk I had for sale. By the end of the night had like 12 DVDs left. Sold everything else. Had the laptop playing various BIW matches i had filmed 3 and 4 years ago at the same civic center.

Ultimo Gallos and Koby "Quarters" Rutland,lead announcer for SWA promotions TV show.

https://i.imgur.com/xdGnvYM.jpg
                      The bald guy in demin looked like a redneck Henry Rollins. But I could never get a good picture of him.

Comment

I wanna go to a wrestling match with Newt.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wanna go to a wrestling match with Newt.

If you are in the area we are always needing people to watch the table and set up chairs. Just get ready to sit around for hours waiting for the doors to open to the crowd.

Comment

Sounds awesome, haha. I'm not usually in the area but you never know. Life is at the point now where we might actually get to travel a bit once summer ends.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ok update to waffle waitress vs TNA SUPERSTAR Chase Stevens....

Waitress' daughter contacts me late last night.Tells me a friend has it all on video. Get sent really blurry cellphone footage. Chase is leaving ringside area. 12 year old gets up in his way is mouthing off to him so to scare the kid back Chase kicks an empty chair. That slid hit the waitress lightly in the leg. But lady is going to get a lawyer today.

Anyways. While we were waiting 4 hours for the doors to open found an empty conference room. Tossed up a Big Ramp Enterprises sign on the wall and did a shit ton of promo videos. Then made a trip to the van. Came back and I tossed on my mask and did a quick vid with Ramp.

And here's the opening match from the show. John Saxon is a deep south vet. Was NWA world tag champ years ago. The Pro I think was a last minute replacement. Mostly cause him and a guy in a later match had the same tattoos. Sorry for the shit quality shot this match using my tablet.

Comment

Sounds awesome, haha. I'm not usually in the area but you never know. Life is at the point now where we might actually get to travel a bit once summer ends.

Yea my area of MS is horrid in the summer. Best time to visit is Jan thru March. Unless it is raining it is usually nice outside.

Comment

Working...
                                X