Metallica to release first thing worth a shit in 30 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unscarred View Post
    The thing is what's left for Metallica to do in the thrash realm that they already haven't done?
    Precisely the reason they stripped things back a bit for The Black Album. I think it was Lars that said in an interview had they tried to top Justice in terms of the long songs and more proggy song structures they would have painted themselves into a corner. While I think a follow up to Justice in the same vein would have probably been fantastic, he did have a point.

Ever notice how by the time Justice came out even the sequencing of their albums had become a bit predictable. You had the raging thrash opener (Fight Fire With Fire, Battery, Blackened), the epic title track (Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for All), a more mid-paced third track (For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Thing That Should Not Be, Eye of the Beholder), a slower, almost ballad-esque fourth tack (Fade to Black, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), One), another rager for the fifth track (Trapped Under Ice, Disposable Heroes, The Shortest Straw) somewhere near the end of the album was the instrumental (The Call of Ktulu, Orion, To Live Is To Die (ok that one's mostly instrumental).
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

New single.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

New Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          New single.
          Strange, I thought I bought Kill 'em All in the eighties!
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

So much hate for Metallica. I'm beginning to think that people just love to hate them just because its not 1988 anymore.

I disliked Load and Reload immensely, St Anger was just bad, but I really loved Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic.

I'm kinda liking this new single too.

Personally, I'm glad they are now releasing thrash metal as opposed to mtv friendly overpolished turds (albeit yes it is very derivative of their early stuff and nowhere near as good), but at this stage in their career, well played I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              So much hate for Metallica. I'm beginning to think that people just love to hate them just because its not 1988 anymore.

I disliked Load and Reload immensely, St Anger was just bad, but I really loved Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic.
              Hasn't it been that way since 1991 The two reactions to the new song I keep seeing are either people saying its Metallica's best stuff since *insert preferred album here (its usually Justice)* or the overreacting detractors saying its the worst song ever. Its a solid thrash song. What's especially interesting about the new album is they pulled a Maiden and made it an 80 minute double album so it'll be curious to see how varied the album is.

I like Load but it needs some serious fat trimming. They should have taken the best songs from Load and ReLoad and made one album. Looking at the tracklistings for both albums there are songs that I seriously can't remember a damn thing about them whereas the stronger songs do stand out.
              Tom Clark
              Last edited by Tom Clark; 08-22-2016, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I actually like this new single. Not feeling the 80 minutes double album bullshit AT ALL, though. Excruciatingly long albums are usually a sign of bad judgement and inability to kill your darlings. The optimal length of a metal album, as proven by Reign in Blood, is 30 minutes.

Anyway, I love Metallica's first three albums, especially Kill 'em All. It went downhill from there. This new song is probably the first really good Metallica piece in 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                  . Excruciatingly long albums are usually a sign of bad judgement and inability to kill your darlings. The optimal length of a metal album, as proven by Reign in Blood, is 30 minutes.
                  Certainly not true of doom metal. 30 minutes is one or two tracks off a good doom album.

Comment

Okay, yeah you're right I guess. Some music, especially monotonous and ambient music, works better in the long format. Burzum and other more atmospheric black metal comes to mind.

Comment

"Hardwired" is just "meh" for me.

Metallica seem to have lost their sense of good judgement over the last few years, IMO. Perhaps they need someone to edit their work a bit better and rein them in. This seems like a band no one ever says "no" to. Sometimes they need that, it looks like.

It also seems like they're having difficulty figuring out what fans want as well. Part of the charm of older Metallica was that they did what they wanted and really didn't care. I think the backlash of Napster really made them take a big step back and be more self-reflective. In doing this, I feel like they've lost some of their potency as a band.

Comment

I reckon Metallica have always done the longer songs pretty well. Where they ran into trouble was on St. Anger where the songs didn't really have a lot of variety so repetition set in really fast whereas the longer pieces on the earlier albums had enough variety to keep them interesting for 8-9 minutes.

Comment

Another new track.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Prepare for your irony meters to explode, METALLICA's Catalog Returns To NAPSTER After 17 Years

They're also releasing videos for every song off Hardwired over the next two days which is pretty neat.

Comment

Napster. Hahaha

Comment

I'm more surprised Napster still exist, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X