Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica to release first thing worth a shit in 30 years

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...sette-20150303

Metallica will revisit their early years in a big way for the first time next month, when they put out an exact duplication of their thrashing declaration of intent — the 1982 demo tape No Life 'Til Leather — as a limited-edition cassette on April 18th. "Twelve people will be able to play it, but everybody else will be able to hold it in their hands and, uh, have a great time with it," drummer Lars Ulrich tells Rolling Stone with a laugh. The band will release the cassette on Record Store Day before issuing expanded CD and vinyl editions this summer, marking the first time any of their demos have been officially released.

Screw the trendy RSD cassette but the expanded vinyl / CD sound promising. Hopefully they pack it with Power Metal (1982) and some of the other demos (Live Metal Up Your Ass, Megaforce, Ron McGoverney's Garage, unreleased stuff... etc.) Somehow I fear these guys can even fuck up a sure thing like this <brickwall the shit out of it?> But I'm hoping..

Ha... I always loved the art on the bootleg
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jlp12040a1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	365659

Apparently they are also re-issuing Kill 'Em All this year too

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ssues-20141030

Maybe include some of those covers (Am I Evil, Blitzkrieg, etc) and don't compress the ever loving fuck out of it and it could be another win.

My love stops at Kill 'Em All, but I'm sure some people will be interested in the rest of the series....

I bought their reissued Kill 'em All on vinyl recently. It's the quietest record i own. I have NO idea what they did to it. It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't exactly charge out of the speakers.

Comment

I don't even own cassette player anymore. It's such a lame format.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

We have turned down offers to release our stuff on cassette...hated the format then and still do now...I don't get why people are trying to bring this back...

Looking forward to the CD and Vinyl though...

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
        I bought their reissued Kill 'em All on vinyl recently. It's the quietest record i own. I have NO idea what they did to it. It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't exactly charge out of the speakers.
        Who did the reissue?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom K View Post
          We have turned down offers to release our stuff on cassette...hated the format then and still do now...I don't get why people are trying to bring this back...

Looking forward to the CD and Vinyl though...

Who did the reissue?
          Metallica's own label, Blackened.

I hate cassettes as well.

Comment

Cool. No cassette for me, but Vinyl or cd...I'm already there.

Comment

I was offered a Dinosaur Jr. Cassette collection a few years ago to review. My first thought was WHY? J. Mascis sounds too good for cassette!
              EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

I like tapes. More affordable, takes up less space. I like vinyl & tapes; I rarely buy cd's.

I'd be interested in hearing Metallica's demo but doubt it'd be anything I'd buy.

Comment

The only thing that was ever cool on cassette was live bootlegs.

Comment

It's a cool re-release - you get Dave Mustaine on lead guitar.
                    www.facebook.com/ActressDanielaGiordano

Comment

While I like the idea of this release on several levels, such as this music actually being available to fans in a way which will not cost hundreds of dollars, Metallica acknowledging that people like their earlier stuff better, and Mustaine being on guitar, and the cover art being cool, count me in as another non-cassette fan.

If they make this stuff available digitally, I'd be up for getting it, just to hear it. If I had the cassette, it would just sit on my shelf.

It's interesting to me that Metallica has done such an about-face with getting stuff out to the fans in recent years. I guess they realized that Lar's ill-advised campaign against Napster years back really hurt their image, and they want to be more "fan-friendly". That being said, they've come up with some good things to reach the fans (if you're a hardcore fan), such as the ability to download the show you were at in MP3 or FLAC format for about $10, and have delved into their back catalogue to play deeper cuts at shows. I'm just a casual fan of the band, but I find their efforts are things that other bands should be doing.

Comment

I was FANATICAL when it came to Metallica in their glory days. I was too young to see them at the beginning but did catch shows on the Master Of Puppets and Justice For All tours and then on the Black album tour as well. After that? Meh. I liked Death Magnetic more than most seem to have but post Puppets stuff is too slick. Justice has some great songwriting on it but it also marked a big change in direction that the Black album and everything that came after it continued and the egos and bullshit affiliated with the band lost me.

I kinda want to get this though - to rekindle an old love for the band - but I'm not buying a cassette in 2015. Give me digital or vinyl or CD and I'm all over it. I'll gladly pay for this. But not on cassette.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          I was FANATICAL when it came to Metallica in their glory days. I was too young to see them at the beginning but did catch shows on the Master Of Puppets and Justice For All tours and then on the Black album tour as well. After that? Meh. I liked Death Magnetic more than most seem to have but post Puppets stuff is too slick. Justice has some great songwriting on it but it also marked a big change in direction that the Black album and everything that came after it continued and the egos and bullshit affiliated with the band lost me.

I kinda want to get this though - to rekindle an old love for the band - but I'm not buying a cassette in 2015. Give me digital or vinyl or CD and I'm all over it. I'll gladly pay for this. But not on cassette.
                          Agreed about the digital. I'll buy it on digital or even CD...but not cassette. Buying a cassette of this is a novelty, and mostly for collectors.

And you're spot on about the change in direction by the band. I realize that bands evolve, change, move on, and all that other good stuff, but Metallica of today is dramatically different than the direction they started off with. While I applaud their efforts of bringing back some of the vibe of the early days, I wonder how much of it is sincere and heartfelt; is it really, or is it for their image only that they do this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
                            And you're spot on about the change in direction by the band. I realize that bands evolve, change, move on, and all that other good stuff, but Metallica of today is dramatically different than the direction they started off with. While I applaud their efforts of bringing back some of the vibe of the early days, I wonder how much of it is sincere and heartfelt; is it really, or is it for their image only that they do this stuff?
                            I don't think you do an album like Lulu for your image. Say what you will about the final product but one of the things about Metallica I've always championed was their willingness to take chances with their music. They've never seemed all that concerned with alienating their audience which is commendable.

You said in another post how your a more casual fan and that's pretty much where I am at with Metallica these day. When I was younger however I was a total fanboy and I still love all the old albums (Justice will always hold the top spot) for me. At this point I don't ever see myself buying anything though.

The whole releasing it on cassette just makes me laugh. While they're not the first band to do it its yet another instance of favoring a format rather than the actual content contained on it. I get the "old school" mentality behind it but it still doesn't justify spending any money.
                            LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
                              Agreed about the digital. I'll buy it on digital or even CD...but not cassette. Buying a cassette of this is a novelty, and mostly for collectors.

The thing is what's left for Metallica to do in the thrash realm that they already haven't done? The first couple of albums they put out are classics in the genre. It's unlikely they could ever capture the magic of those old albums to put out another Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets...I don't mind evolution in the sense you don't have to necessarily be as fast or heavy to put out good music - Load and Reload were just bad in my opinion. The Black album and Megadeth's Youthanasia are examples of albums where speed was sacrificed but not at the expense of song quality.
                              www.facebook.com/ActressDanielaGiordano

Comment

Working...
                              X