Radiohead's Bizarre Marketing Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiohead's Bizarre Marketing Tactics

OK, so some of you may have seen that Radiohead announced a new album is done and that it's going to be available in a few days, direct from their website. This following in the wake of their 'pay us what you want for it' release from a while back.

This time around the album will be available as such (and this comes as per the awesome site Brooklyn Vegan):

Radiohead's new record, The King Of Limbs, is presented here as the world's first (perhaps) Newspaper Album, comprising:
    * Two clear 10" vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
    * A compact disc.
    * Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
    * The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
    * The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
    * Shipping is included in the prices shown.
    * One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12" vinyl.

So you can get it online in mp3 format for $9.99 or you can buy the fancy ass version or you can wait and buy an actual CD 3/28, well over a month later.

I kinda like what they're doing here, going direct to the consumer and trying different tactics to generate revenue through their music.

I dunno that I have much else to add, really, I just thought it was interesting how they're doing this is all.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!
Working...
X