Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carpenter's Lost Themes

From Fango:

"John Carpenter is a master, both of cinema and of the score. His themes are iconic and endlessly influential, hallmarks and originators of a beloved style of composing as well as catchy as all hell (ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 practically loops in many of our heads). It was understandable then when admirers across fandoms and professions (fans, filmmakers, musicians) lit up upon the news of an impending new album from the artist. Entitled LOST THEMES, and arriving this winter from Sacred Bones Records, the album was described as tracks composed by Carpenter without any films in mind and the news of which was accompanied by stellar song “Vortex” and a collage video set to Carpenter clips. Following a weekend to digest and groove comes the full details on LOST THEMES.

LOST THEMES is out February 3, 2015 on Sacred Bones and Carpenter says it “…was all about having fun. It can be both great and bad to score over images, which is what I'm used to. Here there were no pressures. No actors asking me what they're supposed to do. No crew waiting. No cutting room to go to. No release pending. It's just fun. And I couldn't have a better set-up at my house, where I depended on (collaborators) Cody (Carpenter, of the band Ludrium) and Daniel (Davies, who scored I, FRANKENSTEIN) to bring me ideas as we began improvising. The plan was to make my music more complete and fuller, because we had unlimited tracks. I wasn't dealing with just analogue anymore. It's a brand new world. And there was nothing in any of our heads when we started other than to make it moody.”"

Click image for larger version

Name:	CarpenterLostThemes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	365401
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Not sure that is the best cover to try and sell this item!!!

Comment

Really looking forward to this!
      Mad Dog's Music

Comment

All sorts of giddy! Vortex sounds like a Rad piece of Awesomeness!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

NPR of all places is streaming this album now.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/25/379336...r-lost-themes#
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm gonna buy the shit outta this album
              "I don't eat at taco joints unless there's a lawn care truck parked out front" - me

Comment

Press release!

We're thrilled and delighted to have the legendary composer John Carpenter performing live at our ATP Iceland festival in ísbríº, former NATO base in Keflaví­k, on July 1-3, 2016. It will be the first time the acclaimed American director and composer has ever performed his compositions live.

John Carpenter will be performing a musical retrospective of his work, his first solo record of non-soundtrack music Lost Themes, plus brand new compositions. The Horror Master will also be joined on stage by both his son Cody Carpenter and his godson Daniel Davies (both of whom co-recorded Lost Themes), in addition to a full live band and spectacular stage production.

“We are incredibly honoured to present the first ever show by this legendary film-maker and composer. Having had the opportunity to present the maestro Ennio Morricone twice in recent years, it has been a burning ambition of ours to also present John Carpenter, who is both a pioneer and a huge influence on us and so many great musicians and film-makers that we work with. You'd be fucking crazy to miss this,” said ATP's Barry Hogan.

John Carpenter has been responsible for much of the horror genre's most striking soundtrack work in movies he's both directed and scored, such as Dark Star (1974), Assault on Precinct 13 (1976), Halloween (1978), The Fog (1980), Escape from New York (1981), Christine (1983), Starman (1984), Big Trouble in Little China (1986), Prince of Darkness (1987), and They Live (1988) to name a few.

The themes that drive them can be stripped to a few coldly repeating notes, take on the electrifying thunder of a rock concert, or submerge themselves into exotic, unholy miasmas. It's work that instantly floods his fans' musical memory with imagery of a menacing shape stalking a babysitter, a relentless wall of ghost-filled fog, lightning-fisted kung fu fighters, or a mirror holding the gateway to hell.

Composers before him had used minimalism to create terror, whether it was two piano notes for a killer shark or the stabbing strings of a mother-obsessed psychopath, but it was Halloween's brilliantly interwoven synth melodies that truly took genre scoring to a new, more sinister level.

In February 2015, John Carpenter released his first solo record of non-soundtrack music, Lost Themes on Sacred Bones Records, to overwhelming critical success. Recorded with son Cody and godson Daniel, John Carpenter proved that not only could he perfectly score his own films - he could also score the movies in your mind. Lost Themes debuted on both the US and UK top 100 charts and garnered extensive and glowing coverage in The Guardian, The New York Times, The Times (UK), Uncut, The Wire, The Los Angeles Times, NPR, Pitchfork, Vanity Fair, Newsweek, Billboard, Entertainment Weekly, Artforum, The Wall Street Journal, Rolling Stone, and countless other music, horror, and lifestyle magazines.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Old news but I don't see it posted here... if you like the remixes that were previously available digital only, they are getting a vinyl release on Oct 16th. http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/co...themes-remixed

Comment

Coming in April...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CaJDTxtWkAAZyg2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	349757
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I can't afford all this rad shit.

Comment

Tour dates!

John Carpenter -- 2016 Tour Dates
                        Jun 2 - Barcelona ES, Primavera Sound
                        Jul 1-3 - ísbríº IS, ATP Iceland
                        Jul 8 - NYC Playstation Theater
                        Oct 28 - Manchester UK, Albert Hall *2nd show added!*
                        Oct 29 - Manchester UK, Albert Hall
                        Oct 31 - London UK, Troxy
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          Tour dates!

John Carpenter -- 2016 Tour Dates
                          Jun 2 - Barcelona ES, Primavera Sound
                          Jul 1-3 - ísbríº IS, ATP Iceland
                          Jul 8 - NYC Playstation Theater
                          Oct 28 - Manchester UK, Albert Hall *2nd show added!*
                          Oct 29 - Manchester UK, Albert Hall
                          Oct 31 - London UK, Troxy
                          Y'all gonna see him in NYC?
                          "I don't eat at taco joints unless there's a lawn care truck parked out front" - me

Comment

Dunno yet, but I'm not saying no.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X