Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Licked - New Iggy & the Stooges album without Iggy

From NME:

"Iggy And The Stooges are planning to record an album with a series of guest singers replacing Iggy Pop. The move comes as guitarist James Williamson claims the frontman is expected to return to the band in 2015.

Mark Lanegan and Jello Biafra are among the guest singers who will feature on 'Re-Licked', a set of previously unreleased songs written around the time of their classic 1973 album 'Raw Power'. Pop announced last September that he wouldn't be working with The Stooges in 2014, but Williamson told Rolling Stone: "Iggy gave me his blessing and wished me success with the album. But it's a hard pill to swallow when someone is doing all your songs with your band and you're not on it."

Pop said in a statement: "I don't have a problem with anything. This statement about 'hard pill' sounds kind of passive aggressive to me…These guys are my friends and we've all worked together many years. They're working musicians and they need to play." Pop's spokesman additionally claimed the singer wasn't given the chance to appear on 'Re-Licked' and only learned of the album in December 2013 when a record label rejected the chance to release it."

http://www.nme.com/news/iggy-and-the-stooges/75984

Maybe they should call it Screaming Dead Stooges instead.

This sounds like a bad idea.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, Jello and Lanegan have solid track records but this doesn't sound like a great idea. Weird. But hopefully not Weirdness.

Comment

Why not just call it something else?

Comment

Because it won't sell as well.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

More info on tracks recorded and who is singing what so far: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ities-20140307

Comment

This idea sucks. I was kinda stoked at the prospect of stuff like Head On being recorded professionally, but not with a bunch of different singers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Because it won't sell as well.
                I know that is the reason, but I don't see how they can release something called "Iggy and The Stooges" and not have Iggy performing at all. "the Stooges", maybe.

Comment

In their defense, they're calling themselves The Stooges and leaving Iggy's name out of it.

That RS article has been updated to say:

"A spokesperson for Iggy Pop released the following statement to Rolling Stone: "Iggy was never given an opportunity to participate on the album. He found out about the project in December of 2013 after it was rejected by a Chicago label."
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This could still work out okay IF they eventually take these songs on the road with Iggy and we end up getting some GOOD sounding live recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      In their defense, they're calling themselves The Stooges and leaving Iggy's name out of it.

That RS article has been updated to say:

"A spokesperson for Iggy Pop released the following statement to Rolling Stone: "Iggy was never given an opportunity to participate on the album. He found out about the project in December of 2013 after it was rejected by a Chicago label."
                      Well, okay then. Thanks for taking care of that for me, Ian.

Comment

Maybe they didn't ask Iggy because they figured he was too busy hanging out with New Order?

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Classic Rock magazine is streaming the remake of "Gimme Some Skin"
                          http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/m...mme-some-skin/

Comment

Final track listing:

Re-Licked Track List:
                            01. Head On The Curve (w/ Jello Biafra)
                            02. Open Up And Bleed (w/ Carolyn Wonderland)
                            03. Scene Of The Crime (w/ Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream)
                            04. She Creatures Of The Hollywood Hills (w/ Ariel Pink)
                            05. Til The End Of The Night (w/ Alison Mosshart from The Kills, Dead Weather)
                            06. I Gotta Right (w/ Lisa Kekaula from The BellRays)
                            07. Pinpoint Eyes (w/ Joe Cardamone from The Icarus Line)
                            08. Wild Love (w/ Mark Lanegan & Alison Mosshart)
                            09. Rubber Legs (w/ Ron Young from Little Caesar)
                            10. I'm Sick Of You (w/ Mario Cuomo from The Orwells)
                            Bonus Tracks:
                            11. Gimme Some Skin (w/ Caroline Wonderland)
                            12. Cock In My Pocket (w/ Nicke Andersson from The Hellacopters)
                            13. Heavy Liquid (w/ Lisa Kekaula)
                            14. Wet My Bed (w/ The Richmond Sluts)
                            15. Cock In My Pocket (w/ Gary Floyd from The Dicks)
                            16. Rubber Legs (w/ J.G. Thirlwell aka Clint Ruin, Foetus)

http://www.i94bar.com/news/james-wil...klist-revealed

I like the tracks I've heard so far.

Comment

Why dont they just call it The James Williamson Experience or something? There's nothing Stooges about this. I usually dont get uppity about bands not having the original lineup, but this is dumb. End opinionated post.

Wait, no. It's interesting, if you read "Please Kill Me" outsiders describe Williamson as a poison who destroyed the band through self-serving tactics. Doesnt seem that Williamson is interested in anything but selling records under a name that he had very little to do with.

Comment

Working...
                              X