X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylan's finest hour

Richard--W
    a straight arrow
    Last edited by Richard--W; 02-24-2014, 04:23 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

This is a great set but there are issues with the Black Dog release ( pitch, overdriven vocals ).
    I have a different copy from the 1965 Revisted Box Set boot that while not pitch perfect, it is a bit nicer than the Black Dog. I'll pop a copy in the mail for you Richard to compare....I prefer this one ( although as the notes indicate, pitch issues remain ).
    Meantime I keep hoping those 16 mm copies will get leaked out sometime...could you imagine watching these performances?

from a popular torrent site from a guy who is a genius at correction pitch problems, these comments address the two sources & issues.

There's no straight and uncomplicated answer to the question of the speed/pitch of this set vs. the Black Dog release. To address the pitch of just one track won't represent the overall trend of the speed of either set. This is a general description, as I haven't done any close and specific editing in Audition to nail any of the offset numbers, so I won't be able to give any specifics. I've only done comparative and rough "guesstimates" at this point so I could answer the burning question of the day... Any actual process to do this properly and try to set the historic record straight of any of these documents is much more time consuming, and will still only present a compromise to attempt a correction of gradual and non-specific speed changing issues.

This set torrenting here, while it does indeed begin at as close to the correct speed/pitch as possible, starts going just a bit flat by Track 3, and a bit slower still for tracks 4-6, which includes the track in question, "...Hattie Carroll". So the quick answer is that THIS "Hattie" appears to be a bit slow/flat, while the Black Dog "Hattie" is slower/flatter. That makes THIS "Hattie" sharper than the other, but they're BOTH flat, and each displays gradually decreasing speed and flatter pitch at some point in their run.

IIRC, the Black Dog set is actually sharp at the start of the set, and slows down at a greater rate to where it goes slow/flat by track 3, and continues perhaps a bit more until it levels out and stays relatively steady for tracks 7-12. However, as stated, it's a bit slower/flatter than where this Revisited set plays back, but not by much at all. No more than a very few cents between them for the 2nd broadcast, and if I were to look at both of them in an editor while calculating the offset needed to correct each one, respectively, they may turn out to be almost the same. They appear very close, as I said, but both second shows appear to be slow/flat, while the first show displays more speed/pitch movement going flat from the start in each, and the Black Dog version beginning much faster/sharper from the start.

Confused? I know I am! It's not enough to find one offset to correct either version of this show, due to any gradual change in speed pitch which arises. But as I said, THIS "Hattie" while slow/flat, is still a bit closer to the correct speed/pitch than the Black Dog version which is also slow/flat, but not by much.
    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Richard--W
      a straight arrow
      Last edited by Richard--W; 02-24-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Richard--W
        a straight arrow
        Last edited by Richard--W; 02-24-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Richard--W
          a straight arrow
          Last edited by Richard--W; 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Almost totally irrelevant but a buddy of mine & I were drinking the other night and imagining Dylan as a complete pervert and what he would sound like talking to a woman during sex.
            It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolando View Post
                Almost totally irrelevant but a buddy of mine & I were drinking the other night and imagining Dylan as a complete pervert and what he would sound like talking to a woman during sex.
                Ha!

Comment

I always figured after the just like a woman, like a little girl line, he never got laid again.

Or, WOMAN: What? Stop mumbling and get up here.

Comment

I've tried a few times to get into Dylan. I can definitely appreciate his talents as a songwriter and completely understand why people love his music. Very little of it ever clicked with me. Not for lack of trying. Every couple of years I give him another shot and keep coming back to the same reaction - I just don't like his voice. I've got some great recordings of him with Johnny Cash that are cool though and I like quite a few covers of his songs (Mike Ness doing Don't Think Twice and Cobra Skulls doing Subterranean Homesick Blues) so I guess I'm a fan of Bob the writer if not so much Bob the singer.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The only Dylan album I really like is Nashville Skyline, something of an oddity for him.

Entombed did a fantastic cover of "Ballad of Hollis Brown".
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Really, Richard, deleting the entire first post?

Total asshole move.
                        Mark Tolch
                        Last edited by Mark Tolch; 02-24-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna lock this lest it get nastier.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                          X