RIP Stompin' Tom Connors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I would've crashed the shit out of that party.
    Yeah, I'd have handed him a Moosehead and done backing vocals for sure.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Stompin' Tom's P.E.I. homestead to become cultural attraction!
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Stompin' Tom gets a statue!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...atue-1.3305888
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Proud to be a Canadian.

Comment

I hope "rub his boot for good luck" becomes a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              As it should be! The man is a national treasure, and uniquely Canadian! He is sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                I hope "rub his boot for good luck" becomes a thing.
                Same here. Stompin' Tom.....symbol of good luck!

Comment

Last night I had one of those 'I'm surrounded by movies but don't know what to watch' nights so I started poking around on Youtube and came across the Across This Land With Stompin' Tom Connors feature from 1973.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199299/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Live At The Horseshoe album is, I believe, taken from the same show that was shot for this. Anyway, it's pretty cool. The bar is full of smoke and everyone in the crowd is having a good time but of course Tom is the main draw here. He's really over the top and animated, doing lots of goofy accents and really screwing his face up in strange ways, all just to get a laugh. He brings out a few 'guest stars' (none of whom I'd ever heard of before) but they only do one song a piece.

In between some of the songs you get weird vignettes - the animated cartoon for the Ketchup Song, some footage of Tom driving a street car in TTC Skeedaddler, at one point he's cruising around in a boat - Tom's just more or less being Tom in most of these. Oh and there's another cartoon where Tom appears, in cartoon form, and enters a pig race against a Leprechaun. Not sure wtf was going on there.

At any rate, anyone with an interest in Tom's music or who just wants a glimpse of the odd country music scene of early 70s Canada should check it out. No official release anywhere that I know of, but it's here...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I love this one. I'd love to see it released on blu. Apparently there's some stupid rights issue, though.

Comment

Zoomin' Tom

Wed, April 21, 2021
                      12:30 PM - 2:30 PM EDT

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/national...s-147616211061

An online screening and discussion of Across This Land With Stompin' Tom Connors (1973) to celebrate National Canadian Film Day

Join the Media Commons Archives for a special National Canadian Film Day screening of the exhilarating concert film Across This Land With Stompin' Tom Connors. Released in 1973, this recently restored Canadian gem documents an intimate concert by Stompin' Tom Connors and others at the historic Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto. We'll follow the screening of this rare film with a Q&A with the film's editor Jacques Jean and Greg Dunning son of the film's producer.

Comment

Oh rad! And it's been restored, which is fantastic. Hope it gets a Blu-ray release, it's such a great document of that part of his career and a great snapshot of the Horseshoe Tavern of the era.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Lunch at the Horseshoe doesn't sound like the worst Wednesday.

Comment

There aren't enough pigeons to cover a statue of Stomping' Tom in the amount of shit it deserves.

Comment

I'm really excited about this news and hoping for a blu-ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X