Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Flag Reunion(s)

OK, this is interesting. From East Village Radio:

"The 1979 lineup of hardcore legends Black Flag will allegedly reunite this year to play a UK festival, FACT (via NME) reports. The piece says the band's second vocalist, Ron Reyes, will rejoin band founder and guitarist Greg Ginn for the gig, but it's unclear if the rest of the band responsible for the 1980 EP, Jealous Again (artwork above)—bassist Chuck Dukowski and drummer Julio Roberto Valverde Valencia (a.k.a. “Robo”)—will be on hand for the set at the fifth installment of Hevy Fest. Reyes replaced future Circle Jerks frontman Keith Morris in the band before being replaced by Dez Cadena, who was eventually replaced by Henry Rollins."

And that comes after this announcement from the 2013 Punk Rock Bowling festival by way of Punk News:

"Some of the headliners for the 15th annual Punk Rock Bowling weekend have been announced. The non-bowling related portion of the weekend will include performances from Bad Religion, The Damned, D.R.I., Lagwagon, Subhumans, Swingin' Utters, Bouncing Souls, Lower Class Brats and Flag, which is Keith Morris, Chuck Dukowski, Bill Stevenson and Stephen Egerton playing the music of Black Flag."

So now we've sort of got dueling Black Flag reunions going on?

Weird.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Huh. Interesting. I went to one of the West Memphis 3 benefit shows a few years back where Keith and Hank tore through the old Flag classics. I'd check these out if I was anywhere near them.

Comment

No mention of Henry Rollins' ballsac.

Comment

I was entertaining the notion of the Morris show in Vegas, being that Bad Religion and the Damned (who are pretty fun live) are also on the bill. Both lineups have their merits, on one hand you get Ginn, on the other hand, you get Chuck the Duke.

Comment

If I hadn't just been to (and been burnt out on) Vegas two weeks ago, I'd consider going too. Good line up this year.

But... fuck it. Too expensive.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, if you wanted to go to Vegas anyway...I don't....it would be a fun trip with a cool bonus of seeing a show.

Comment

For me BF's eras are more defined by the drummers than the singer: there's Robo/Biscuits/Stevenson. Biscuits is probably my favourite but Robo was really unique.

Comment

So the Ron Reyes version is more than just a one off.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...flag_to_e.html

"BLACK FLAG has reformed and is in the process of putting finishing touches on a new album with founder Greg Ginn on guitar, Ron Reyes on vocals, Gregory Moore on drums and Dale Nixon on bass."

They'll be touring in 2013.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Re: Black Flag Reunion(s)

A friend gave me the heads up that BF would be headlining the Muddy Roots Festival in late August. This show takes place a couple hundred miles from Nashville, so there's a good chance I'll make that show. Reverend Beat Man, Deadbolt, and Eerie Von are other acts on the bill that I would be interested in seeing.

Comment

Maybe Jerry Only is available to sit in for "Dale Nixon"...

Comment

I like Ron, despite his inability to follow through on a project, and I like Greg's playing. But for all of the people who ranted and raved about the Robo/Morris/Dukowski lineup not being "the real FLAG"...well, there ya go. Ginn and Reyes can tour as Black Flag with an unknown rhythm section? F that. I don't think that anyone, outside of an original Black Flag lineup, should be able to tour as BLACK FLAG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        So the Ron Reyes version is more than just a one off.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...flag_to_e.html

"BLACK FLAG has reformed and is in the process of putting finishing touches on a new album with founder Greg Ginn on guitar, Ron Reyes on vocals, Gregory Moore on drums and Dale Nixon on bass."

They'll be touring in 2013.
                        I have to read articles now? *derp*
                        Marshall Crist
                        Last edited by Marshall Crist; 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

It says that in the article.

Comment

Tour date info starting to roll in for both flavors:

Black Flag tour dates
                            DATE CITY VENUE
                            May 18 Hí¼nxe, Germany Ruhrpott Rodeo
                            August 4 Kent, UK Hevy Fest
                            August 31 Tennessee Muddy Roots Music Festival

Flag tour dates
                            DATE CITY VENUE
                            4/26 Munich, Germany Monster Bash Festival
                            4/27 Berlin, German Monster Bash Festival
                            4/28 Meerhout, Belgium Groezrock Festival
                            5/24 - 5/27 Las Vegas, NV Punk Rock Bowling
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!