What's playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Moore - Victims of the Future
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee at State's End!
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• The Lunachicks - Luxury Problem

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
          The Lunachicks - Luxury Problem
          There's a new book on them. Saw it the other day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9780306874482.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	360089

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            There's a new book on them. Saw it the other day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27215[/ATTACH]
            Almost finished it. It's absolutely fantastic. People often forget that before the internet, finding shit out about your favourite bands was a challenge. A lot of the time, I didn't even know if these bands had other records out if they weren't available in stores, so I would send a letter to the label requesting a catalog of their titles. This book doesn't shy away from any of the craziness that was going on, and it's been wild reading about what was going on back then. It's also done largely in that "Oral History" style, which I've come to really appreciate in biographies/autobiographies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
              Almost finished it. It's absolutely fantastic. People often forget that before the internet, finding shit out about your favourite bands was a challenge. A lot of the time, I didn't even know if these bands had other records out if they weren't available in stores, so I would send a letter to the label requesting a catalog of their titles. This book doesn't shy away from any of the craziness that was going on, and it's been wild reading about what was going on back then. It's also done largely in that "Oral History" style, which I've come to really appreciate in biographies/autobiographies.
              I agree completely about the oral history style as far as music/band bios goes (or filmmaking for that matter too). It's my favorite format to read that stuff. Yeah, besides punk mags like MRR and Flipside and a few other, smaller ones, it was a challenge to find info on obscure bands. I wrote to labels too, it was cool in those days, they'd usually send back some decals and whatnot along with a catalog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                I agree completely about the oral history style as far as music/band bios goes (or filmmaking for that matter too). It's my favorite format to read that stuff. Yeah, besides punk mags like MRR and Flipside and a few other, smaller ones, it was a challenge to find info on obscure bands. I wrote to labels too, it was cool in those days, they'd usually send back some decals and whatnot along with a catalog.
                I think that's why I was so into Canadian punk rock back in the day, because even getting ahold of MRNR or Flipside was a challenge up here, living in a smaller town. At least the Toronto and Hamilton bands would show up in the college and university papers, which is how I got into NoMeansNo, Forgotten Rebels, Dayglo Abortions, etc.

Comment

• Misfits - Boxed Set
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Murder City Devils - In Name And Blood
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Murder City Devils - S/T
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Reika Nishikawa, "Nouvel Instrument" anime style.

Reika Nishikawa, "Smiling in the Wind".

Comment

• SNFU - The One Voted Most Likely To Succeed
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Detroit Cobras - Life, Love And Leaving
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Darkthrone - Eternal Hails
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...