• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Vincent Dawn Jr

• Vincent Dawn Jr
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

I really dug it. Also thought Rebirth By Blasphemy was fantastic, but I can't argue that Complete And Total Hell slays from start to finish.
    I'll have to check out Rebirth By Blasphemy. He changed record labels for that one, right? To me this music has got to have raw production value. If it sounds too clean, it doesn't quite work.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Originally posted by Vincent Dawn Jr View Post

Just checked this out...not quite as good as I had hoped, honestly.

I got off the Midnight train after Sweet Death and Ecstasy, which was just OK. Satanic Royalty fucking RIPS as does the one after, No Mercy For Mayhem, but my favorite is still the early recordings, compiled on Complete and Total Hell. That album would be a "desert island" top 10 for me.
    I really dug it. Also thought Rebirth By Blasphemy was fantastic, but I can't argue that Complete And Total Hell slays from start to finish.

Leave a comment:

• Vincent Dawn Jr

• Vincent Dawn Jr
    replied
    Whitespade - S/T (this is basically Midnight doing Motorhead and it's fucking great).
    Just checked this out...not quite as good as I had hoped, honestly.

I got off the Midnight train after Sweet Death and Ecstasy, which was just OK. Satanic Royalty fucking RIPS as does the one after, No Mercy For Mayhem, but my favorite is still the early recordings, compiled on Complete and Total Hell. That album would be a "desert island" top 10 for me.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Whitespade - S/T (this is basically Midnight doing Motorhead and it's fucking great).

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    The Datsuns - Outta Sight/Outta Mind

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    LL Cool J - All World

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Sweet - Desolation Boulevard

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Rapeman - Two Nuns and a Pack Mule

Leave a comment:

• James Reed

• James Reed
    replied
    I've been up all night for the past few nights watching and downloading videos for a new Korean survival show called Universe Ticket. 82 girls from around the globe are competing for a spot on what will be an 8 member group. Some real talented girls from Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Malaysa, Italy, France, Canada and other countries are all knocking 'em dead on stage! Of course, if K-Pop isn't your thing, just ignore this post. Here are two clips from the show that aired on November 18.

YeoJin Choi, the youngest contestant, who won her one-on-one singing battle against an older girl named Sieun Hwang, who thought YeoJin would be easy to beat.

Haram Bae, who unfortunately lost her one-on-one battle. I'm not the only one who thinks she should have won.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Ha, glad to help out! Sogo Ishii directed it. I think I have an old DVD of this kicking around somewhere. It's decidedly strange stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Vincent Dawn Jr

• Vincent Dawn Jr
    replied

Ha, I was definitely confused when a friend played them for me when I was around the same age as you were when you first heard them.

I wonder if this is the video?

I just took a quick glance through it and YES! That's the video! Holy shit, this still looks so fucking weird. That sequence that starts around 24:30 is what I remembered most. The only frame of reference I had at the time for anything remotely like this was Twin Peaks-- some of the Black Lodge stuff. Wow, thanks for the link :)

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Originally posted by Vincent Dawn Jr View Post

Back when I was a kid in the early 90's, an older family friend was trying to educate me on his favorite music of the 70's and 80's. He was way into Jamaican reggae, world music and No Wave punk, so he loaned me albums by Burning Spear, the Birthday Party, Public Image Ltd., Black Uhuru, Fela Kuti, etc. The strangest thing he ever passed my way was a VHS tape of Einsturzunde Neubauten. It was some experimental film they made, sort of half performance/half tripped out narrative. It seemed so so bizarre to my 14 year old mind, which had yet to experience any psychedelics. I can't say it turned me into a fan of the band, but it left a lasting impression for sure.
    Ha, I was definitely confused when a friend played them for me when I was around the same age as you were when you first heard them.

I wonder if this is the video?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X