R.I.P. Steve Albini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Steve Albini

He's passed away from a heart attack way too young at 61.

"Steve Albini, an icon of indie rock as both a producer and performer, has died of a heart attack, staff at his recording studio, Electric Audio, confirm to Pitchfork. As well as fronting underground rock lynchpins including Shellac and Big Black, Albini was a legend of the recording studio, though he preferred the term “engineer” to “producer.” He recorded Nirvana’s In Utero, Pixies’ Surfer Rosa, PJ Harvey’s Rid of Me, and countless more classic albums, and remained an outspoken critic of exploitative music industry practices until his final years. Shellac were preparing to tour their first album in a decade, To All Trains, which is scheduled for release next week. Steve Albini was 61 years old."

More here:

https://pitchfork.com/news/steve-alb...nd-dies-at-61/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Wow......this is a shock. I agree Ian, 61 is way too young. Scary.

Comment

Jesus Christ.

Still filed in my brain under, "you're fucking kidding, right?"

Will take a couple of days to sink in... though it's been a while since I actually threw one of his bands' albums on, he's been a pretty central figure in my musical universe since day # 1.

Of all the various ways in which people can leave us, this "sudden heart failure of otherwise healthy individual" shit is hard to deal with.
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sad news. So much integrity, he could have cashed in on a lot of big acts if he didn't waive his producer royalties.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          Sad news. So much integrity, he could have cashed in on a lot of big acts if he didn't waive his producer royalties.
          Yeah, absolutely - and, given his legendary status, his policy of recording any unknown band who called him up for a standard fee, so long as he liked the sound of 'em and had room in his calendar, was hugely commendable.

Going through my CD & record collection, there are so many unexpected / little known / forgotten acts with a "recorded by Steve Albini" credit on the back of their album...
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
            He'd have made millions on In Utero alone.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
              Jesus Christ.

Still filed in my brain under, "you're fucking kidding, right?"

Will take a couple of days to sink in... though it's been a while since I actually threw one of his bands' albums on, he's been a pretty central figure in my musical universe since day # 1.

Of all the various ways in which people can leave us, this "sudden heart failure of otherwise healthy individual" shit is hard to deal with.
              When I was 20, I had a close family member pass away unexpectedly due to a heart attack at age 49. He was relatively healthy, meaning he hadn't had any illness or hospital stays, but also didn't monitor his diet & exercise all that well. It really rocked my worldview and had lasting (negative) implications on our entire family.

Comment

^ I just lost my brother two weeks ago at the same age, also a heart attack.

Atomizer is one of my favourite albums and "Bazooka Joe" could be my favourite song ever. I love Albini's work with The Breeders, particularly the underrated Title TK.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I'm sorry about your brother, Matt, my condolences.
                  "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    I'm sorry about your brother, Matt, my condolences.
                    Thanks man.
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                      ^ I just lost my brother two weeks ago at the same age, also a heart attack.

Atomizer is one of my favourite albums and "Bazooka Joe" could be my favourite song ever. I love Albini's work with The Breeders, particularly the underrated Title TK.
                      My condolences as well.

And I agree Title TK is killer. I got to see the Breeders live around the time they were working on that album.

Comment

Working...
                      X