Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lost HM classic gets a reissue this month!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lost HM classic gets a reissue this month!

Witch Cross - Fit For Fight. I bought this on cassette in 1984 (and still have it), it's a killer album, Danish band in the vein of early Mercyful Fate with some NWOBHM influences too. The same engineer of Fate's first two albums, Henrik Lund, did this one too. The vocals are very cool too, somewhat like the late Guy Speranza of Riot. No duds on this, one of the best songs is a really heavy number with the unlikely name Face Of A Clown...and it has a cool instrumental called Axe Dance! They are also releasing a 3 cd/dvd discography collection the same day - October 23 - but really all you need is this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	witch cross.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	362915
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I have never heard of them but I think I need to own that just based on the FUCKING AWESOME COVER ART.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've not only heard it I plunked out close to 50 bucks to Hell's Headbangers for the deluxe vinyl set that came out about a year ago. And I don't have a turntable so the plan was to pay someone to rip the files to lossless and then mp3 the thing as well.

Link for this new set Andrew?

Comment

Here's the Fit For Fight reissue cd, Horace. Amazon is also taking preorders. I haven't looked for the 3 cd/dvd thing as, like I said it's not really essential imo. I have seen multiple reports of it coming out the same day though.

Ian, I knew you would dig that cover, haha.

Comment

Yeah, never heard this band but I'm gonna need to get this.

Comment

I would like that cover art on a t-shirt. Or possibly as a back piece tattoo.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

All righty. Just had a nice chat with the metal dude who mans the phone over at Hell's Headbangers.

3cd/1dvd now on tap for an early November release. Order direct from the satanic brotherhood over at HH people. They don't take preorders but I'll keep everyone posted.

As for the music, this is essential 80's Euro-Metal loaded with 'tude and bristling guitars and commanding vocals. File with TORCH, OZ and the mighty HEAVY LOAD as white hot molten steel from frozen Viking lands.

Hail and kill.

Comment

Thanks for getting the lowdown on the set, Horace. Who knows? I might decide I need that after having the Fit For Fight reissue for a couple weeks. Do keep us posted.

Comment

Received notice my copy has shipped! I'll be falling in love with this bad boy all over again come Wednesday. I might have to break my rule and have some weeknight beers.

Comment

The album is up on Spotify now too. I'm gonna give it a whirl once this little Dictators marathon ends.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I remember them from back in the day. I never got the album but I taped a 40 min show off air and played it over and over again. I really liked them and have no idea why I never got the LP. No money I guess. >_<
                      2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by Jack J View Post
                        I remember them from back in the day. I never got the album but I taped a 40 min show off air and played it over and over again. I really liked them and have no idea why I never got the LP. No money I guess. >_<
                        Time to rectify that, Jack, haha.

Comment

OK, I've listened to this twice now and it's better than I thought it would be. Yeah, it's corny in that awesome 80s way but there's some good playing here.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I actually really like that instro Axe Dance. The first 3 songs are the best imo but they are all very solid. I like the singer's voice, pretty unique.

Here's a cool review of the album with the various cover arts.

Comment

WITCH CROSS were never a joke band. It's very much of its time but the players were at the top end if the scale and "Fit For Fight" slots in nicely with the euro metal canon of MERCYFUL FATE, Finland's OZ and Sweden's HEAVY LOAD.

Awesome metal mag Snakepit once ran a HUGE piece on WITCHCROSS that pretty much covered everything about these one hit wonders.

Comment

Working...
                              X