Albums of the year (so far)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albums of the year (so far)?

Okay, I've seen some music blogs already doing this, so I figured let's name some stuff that's made an impression. Say a few words about them if you want. Also, list a reissue of the year too if so inclined. Here's mine:

Zonaria - Arrival Of The Red Sun - Possible album of the year here, only had it a week and it's already a daily listen.
    Zombiefication - Reaper's Consecration - Mexicans playing Swedish-style death metal...only an ep but fuck it, it's better than a lot of full lengths I've heard. Killer sound too.
    GoatWhore - Blood For The Master - American death spiced with a Motorhead vibe.
    Blood Mortized - The Key To A Black Heart
    Asphyx - Deathhammer

Reissue of the year - Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

In no particular order...

Turbonegro - Sexual Harrassment - I can't stop listening to this. I didn't have high hopes for it but it turned out to be awesome, just really raw, ballsy rock and roll. I saw one review that said 'less Poison, more Poison Idea' and that's pretty apt. It sounds more like Ass Cobra era stuff than Re-Tox era glammy stuff, and that's a good thing.

Negative Approach - Nothing Will Stand In Our Way - I know this is old stuff but it was never released before so it still counts. 45 tracks of blistering hardcore done right.

High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis - HEAVY.

Reissue of the year - Those two Poison Idea discs from Southern Lord are getting a lot of play and are great packages with nice remastering and cool liner notes, etc.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Hmm, maybe I need to get that Turbo album. Wasn't too impressed with the one song I heard but if it's more like Ass Cobra...The negative review in Decibel magazine said something about a few songs sounding like they were just going through the motions which is what kinda turned me off.

Comment

It's in Spotify if you want to hear it for free before plunking down for it. It took me a few listens to get into it, but I'm really into it now.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post

Reissue of the year - Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
          This have anything extra on it? I've had the other one forever. Worth checking out?

I don't think I bought any new 2012 album, but my reissue(s) of the year would be Incapacitants - Alchemy Box Is Stupid. Fuckin' killer set rereleasing 8 OOP cds (plus another in print, some live cds, and some dvds...YOI!).

Comment

I'm not really keeping track of what's coming out music wise, but two albums come to mind: Degial ‎- Death's Striking Wings (Sepulchral Voice Records) and Anger Burning ‎- When (Rawmantic Disasters / Truemmer Pogo).
            Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

Paul: I think it has the same bonus tracks as the 2005 Candlelight Records CD and the 1996 Nuclear Blast reissue.
              Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

For me there is only one truely great album this year. Some pertenders to the throne, but thus far, nothing tops M83's "WAKE UP, WE'RE DREAMING".

Here is a track from the album used in a trailer for a snowboard movie:
                www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
                  This have anything extra on it? I've had the other one forever. Worth checking out?
                  As Geten said, I think it's the same bonus tracks as the earlier reissues. To my ears it's got a punchier sound though.

Comment

Thanks, guys! Probably akin to the General Surgery - Necrology reissue.

Comment

Working...
                    X