Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cro-Mags' Harley Flanagan Arrested For Stabbing Mike Couls

This is pretty nuts.

"A former member of the hard-core punk band the Cro-Mags attacked two of the group's current members with a hunting knife in a dressing room before a show at Webster Hall yesterday — biting one and slashing both.

The band was about to take the stage about 8:15 p.m. when tattooed rocker Harley Flanagan, 42, barreled through the East Village venue's VIP section toward the Cro-Mags' dressing room, sending nearly 30 guests on the balcony into a frenzy, law enforcement sources and witnesses said."

I had a pass for this show and gave it to Derek when I couldn't use it. The AF show the night before seemed to go off without any problems at all, and then this happens?
    It's sad.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Wow, that is insane! Bit him?!?
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Stabbed him and bit him, yep. Way to represent the NYHC scene, Harley.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There's a lot of talk about Couls having ties to DMS and DMS getting back at Harley for this. After this, he might be safer in prison.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Are the DMS crew still a big deal? I know they were back in the 80's, but I didn't figure they were still very active.

Anyway, what a fucked up situation. The latest rumour circulating is that Jimmy Gestapo hid the knife in the venue the night before when Murphy's Law played, and then got Harley all coked up and riled up before the Cro-Mags gig. Not much substance to that, just accusations, but it's odd that Flanagan didn't show up the night before when he would've been less obvious, as all of the Cro-Mags guys were there. I don't know, that guy's got to have issues. He's got kids, and he's gonna go to jail over this shit, probably for a long time. How important is the band to you??? More important than your own kids?

Comment

I'm honestly not sure how big DMS are anymore but they still exist in some form or another. There were a lot of DMS hats and stuff at the AF show the night before (the show that had ZERO problems). I've just read bits and pieces on the B9 board and a couple of other spots that Couls has ties and that Harley had better watch out.

I know no more than that. I'm not in 'the scene' I just like punk rock shows.

As to the Jimmy Gestapo theory, it's an interesting one. But there is a post on the B9 board where one of the guys from 108 talked about working with Harley and how after he showed off a hunting knife noting that he'd use it on JJ, they opted to get someone else to drum. Was this premeditated? Who knows. I sure don't.

What I do know is that it sucks that I'll never get to see a proper Cro-Mags show at this point and that this whole thing is pretty fucked up. I feel bad for Harley's kids but maybe this'll get him to turn things around.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Dig the obnoxious drunk chicks at the end of that video.

And John Joseph announcing the closure of the show...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Those girls are idiots. Haha...god forbid they call in the police when two guys get stabbed.

Anyway, that show closing could've gone a LOT worse, when you consider other hardcore shows that have been shut down by cops and fire department in the past. Glad to see everyone with a level head.

Comment

I don't know what his beef was but was it really worth prison? He hadn't been in the band for like 10 years! Anyway the place was packed and Vision Of Disorder was great. The house lights came on for about 20 minutes but they were still setting up equipment and serving drinks. No indication on the floor that something was amiss. Then the announcements above. I left right away - being with a couple thousand pissed off drunk hardcore punks spilling out onto a street full of cops is a classic case of "the wrong place at the wrong time." Anyway I was glad there were no other incidents. Thanks for the pass Ian, at last I got to see VOD and have a story to tell...

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Steckler View Post
                    Anyway I was glad there were no other incidents. Thanks for the pass Ian, at last I got to see VOD and have a story to tell...
                    yep....not just a regular gig.....You were there when something BIG happened....Now you have another interesting anecdote to add to your collection to tell over dinner in polite company!!

Comment

Definintely one to tell your grandkids when you're old and grey!
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        Definintely one to tell your grandkids when you're old and grey!
                        You can even embellish it a bit......

..say you were IN THE ROOM when Flanagan went mental....

or....

...you were the security guy who suppressed him...

or even better,

...say you slapped some sense into those dizzy girls in the video on the way out..

Comment

Just read that fans are setting up a defense fund and trying to solicit donations...I guess people who have fans can get rewarded...Two cases in about two weeks in which a musician fucks up bad and fans come to their aid...I don''t get it...

I liked old Cro Mags...Age of Quarrel was a great album and something I still listen to today. I have a soft spot for Best Wishes as well. I remember seeing them back in 89 or 90 when Harley was leading them. Good performance but things went south when someone in the crowd swiped his hat off his head. A lot of screaming and yelling, but they kept playing...3 more songs and at the end, he was like "Please gimme my hat back!" in kind of a whiny begging voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom K View Post
                            Just read that fans are setting up a defense fund and trying to solicit donations...I guess people who have fans can get rewarded...Two cases in about two weeks in which a musician fucks up bad and fans come to their aid...I don''t get it...

Just wondering what exactly the defence plea is going to be....those fans are throwing their money away it appears...

Comment

In all seriousness, there could be an insanity plea.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X