No announcement yet.

School me on IRON MAIDEN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like but not love the artwork on this. Haven't been too fond of the artwork in recent years, some of the magic went after Derek Riggs bailed.

Nice to see Where Eagles Dare and Icarus back too
    Lalala76
    Last edited by Lalala76; 10-02-2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
      I like but not love the artwork on this. Haven't been too fond of the artwork in recent years, some of the magic went after Derek Riggs bailed.

I agree, there was a definite drop-off after Riggs left. I find this new one too...busy maybe? Something about it puts me off a little. Good set list though.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Yeah the non-Derek Riggs art is always a bit off. It always bothered me that they dropped the visual consistency after SEVENTH SON. I appreciated the story the covers were telling.

As a kid IRON MAIDEN was the first band I loved. Once I entered highschool I stopped listening to metal and pivoted to other genres so I never listened to any albums past FEAR OF THE DARK other than the most cursory listen. I'm listening to BRAVE NEW WORLD right now and I really like it. When the Blaze Bayley albums came out I did give them a quick listen but could not get into it, again at that time my tastes in everything were quickly changing and those albums helped me to say goodbye to metal in a way. I figured it just wasn't for me anymore.

Those first 9 albums are more than enough for me when I need to scratch the itch (usually only once or twice a year, tbh) but I may start including BRAVE NEW WORLD into the mix. Maybe eventually I'll get around to the other albums I missed.

Growing up Derek Riggs was such a huge influence on me. I always say him and John Pound (Garbage Pail Kids artist) were probably the biggest influence on me. I always meant to get his book but never did. Maiden is more of a nostalgia thing for me and I push back hard on revisiting the past and being overly nostalgic but I do have a place for them in my heart. I remember as a kid I always caught crap from the other kids for liking Iron Maiden. The neighborhood metal heads preferred Metallica and Pantera and the harsher American acts and claimed no one listened to Iron Maiden. As if any of that matters. Now I mostly listen to Jazz, Bossa Nova and House music. But I'm glad that Iron Maiden, in my limited viewpoint, seems to be the only group from that era that still matters and isn't embarrassing themselves and that makes 11 year old me proud.
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
          I agree, there was a definite drop-off after Riggs left. I find this new one too...busy maybe? Something about it puts me off a little. Good set list though.
          I like the Mexican Day of the Dead theme but the execution is kind of cheap. It reminds me of the DANCE OF DEATH cover.

Comment

I'm listening to BRAVE NEW WORLD right now and I really like it
            Brave new world is actually a really strong album, it's just two or three tracks too long

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Yeah the non-Derek Riggs art is always a bit off. It always bothered me that they dropped the visual consistency after SEVENTH SON. I appreciated the story the covers were telling.

As a kid IRON MAIDEN was the first band I loved. Once I entered highschool I stopped listening to metal and pivoted to other genres so I never listened to any albums past FEAR OF THE DARK other than the most cursory listen. I'm listening to BRAVE NEW WORLD right now and I really like it. When the Blaze Bayley albums came out I did give them a quick listen but could not get into it, again at that time my tastes in everything were quickly changing and those albums helped me to say goodbye to metal in a way. I figured it just wasn't for me anymore.

Those first 9 albums are more than enough for me when I need to scratch the itch (usually only once or twice a year, tbh) but I may start including BRAVE NEW WORLD into the mix. Maybe eventually I'll get around to the other albums I missed.

Growing up Derek Riggs was such a huge influence on me. I always say him and John Pound (Garbage Pail Kids artist) were probably the biggest influence on me. I always meant to get his book but never did. Maiden is more of a nostalgia thing for me and I push back hard on revisiting the past and being overly nostalgic but I do have a place for them in my heart. I remember as a kid I always caught crap from the other kids for liking Iron Maiden. The neighborhood metal heads preferred Metallica and Pantera and the harsher American acts and claimed no one listened to Iron Maiden. As if any of that matters. Now I mostly listen to Jazz, Bossa Nova and House music. But I'm glad that Iron Maiden, in my limited viewpoint, seems to be the only group from that era that still matters and isn't embarrassing themselves and that makes 11 year old me proud.
              Very cool memories, Scott! I was a massive NWOBHM nerd starting in my junior year of high school - 81 - and was probably the first person in my city to buy the first Maiden album (only 1 store had it and they only had 1 copy). I LOVED that album so much, it seemed so vital and raw. Killers is a really good one too, but the first album will always have a special place in my heart. I actually saw Maiden with Paul Di'anno open for Judas Priest at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center. They were touring Killers, and Priest was touring Point of Entry. That show was so fucking good, my friend and I were on our feet the whole time. I still prefer the Di'anno years to Bruce. I like the Bruce albums a lot but the punky energy on those first 2 really hits my sweet spot.

Comment

Very cool memories, Scott! I was a massive NWOBHM nerd starting in my junior year of high school - 81 - and was probably the first person in my city to buy the first Maiden album (only 1 store had it and they only had 1 copy). I LOVED that album so much, it seemed so vital and raw. Killers is a really good one too, but the first album will always have a special place in my heart. I actually saw Maiden with Paul Di'anno open for Judas Priest at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center. They were touring Killers, and Priest was touring Point of Entry. That show was so fucking good, my friend and I were on our feet the whole time. I still prefer the Di'anno years to Bruce. I like the Bruce albums a lot but the punky energy on those first 2 really hits my sweet spot.
                That's amazing! I would have loved to have been at that show. The footage of them playing small venues with Paul during those first couple years on the EARLY YEARS dvd is some of my favorite Maiden stuff.

We lived with my grandma for a while after my mom left my dad and her youngest brother (my uncle) was still living at home at the time. He had two things that blew my mind; a large fabric wall hanging of the KILLERS album art, and the KISS ALIVE II LP with Gene Simmons spitting blood. This had to be around '83? Eventually I was able to talk my mom into buying me an Iron Maiden tape and went with the MAIDEN JAPAN EP. In retrospect I think it was because it was cheaper than the others, I had no concept of what an EP was at the time. I listened to it endlessly. And it wasn't until a long time later that I understood what Paul meant on the intro of RUNNING FREE when he says "This is a song you sing when a bird shits on ya!"

My first proper album was SOMEWHERE IN TIME when I was 9 and it blew my mind. NUMBER OF THE BEAST already was a mythical thing to the rest of the kids in the neighborhood. Around that time I backtracked and got everything else and waited for SEVENTH SON which blew my mind all over again.

When I got around to listening to the first two albums it connected with MAIDEN JAPAN so I already felt a familiarity with those albums. I like how British they feel. And even now when I'm going to listen to some Iron Maiden it's either SOMEWHERE IN TIME or the first two albums.

I also like TATTOO MILLIONAIRE but I didn't when I was a kid. I must've been 12 at the time. I wanted Maiden and it wasn't. It's very British too, kind similar to those early albums but not punk. I wanted more weird sci-fi fantasy stuff. Now I like it and get it. But I never checked out any of Bruce's other stuff because my interest went in completely different directions by then.

Comment

That's amazing! I would have loved to have been at that show. The footage of them playing small venues with Paul during those first couple years on the EARLY YEARS dvd is some of my favorite Maiden stuff.

We lived with my grandma for a while after my mom left my dad and her youngest brother (my uncle) was still living at home at the time. He had two things that blew my mind; a large fabric wall hanging of the KILLERS album art, and the KISS ALIVE II LP with Gene Simmons spitting blood. This had to be around '83? Eventually I was able to talk my mom into buying me an Iron Maiden tape and went with the MAIDEN JAPAN EP. In retrospect I think it was because it was cheaper than the others, I had no concept of what an EP was at the time. I listened to it endlessly. And it wasn't until a long time later that I understood what Paul meant on the intro of RUNNING FREE when he says "This is a song you sing when a bird shits on ya!"

My first proper album was SOMEWHERE IN TIME when I was 9 and it blew my mind. NUMBER OF THE BEAST already was a mythical thing to the rest of the kids in the neighborhood. Around that time I backtracked and got everything else and waited for SEVENTH SON which blew my mind all over again.

When I got around to listening to the first two albums it connected with MAIDEN JAPAN so I already felt a familiarity with those albums. I like how British they feel. And even now when I'm going to listen to some Iron Maiden it's either SOMEWHERE IN TIME or the first two albums.

I also like TATTOO MILLIONAIRE but I didn't when I was a kid. I must've been 12 at the time. I wanted Maiden and it wasn't. It's very British too, kind similar to those early albums but not punk. I wanted more weird sci-fi fantasy stuff. Now I like it and get it. But I never checked out any of Bruce's other stuff because my interest went in completely different directions by then.
                  I can't get into Bruce's solo albums for some reason, they just never clicked with me. I do really love his band prior to Maiden - Samson. Their album Shock Tactics is amazing. The song "Earth Mother" is very Maiden-esque in some ways. Their drummer was a real character, Thunderstick! Haha. He wore a bondage mask all the time and no one knew what he really looked like back then. I think my favorite Bruce Maiden album is Piece of Mind, even though I prefer Clive Burr's drumming to Nicko. I also saw Maiden on the Powerslave tour in Charlotte, NC. Great show but I still liked the earlier one better, the MB convention center was a relatively small place, almost like a movie theater. We did hang out by the backstage door after the Charlotte show and met Steve Harris. He was super friendly and very down to earth.

I liked Maiden Japan too, I wish they had released a full length live album back then. I have a 12 inch single for "Sanctuary" that has a live version of "I've Got The Fire" (Montrose cover) with Paul on vocals. It rips!

Comment

By the way. Scott, I like Bossa Nova too. Particularly Italian BN from the films. I have a compilation called Morricone Bossa that is all BN from some of his scores. This Trovajoli song is one of my all-time favs. Love it! We should start a Bossa thread.

Comment

That Priest/Maiden concert is still one of the top 5 metal shows I ever saw. I was at the Baltimore Civic Center show, and when Rob Halford wandered onstage during the opening "Solar Angels" 16 year old me thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw, and then it was bam bam bam Hell Bent for Leather, Breaking the Law, etc. Victim of Changes blew my teenage mind. Only Spinal Tap-ish moment was during the encore when the motorcycle wouldn't start so he had to walk it on during "Tyrant". Videoscreams had a bootleg of some of the Priest footage from that show on what looked like 8mm; I tried to watch it on my 4K tv and it looks like crap. Oh well. As for Maiden, I always liked Priest better, and I always liked Di'anno better than Dickinson. Dickinson sounds like Anthony Newley.

Comment

By the way. Scott, I like Bossa Nova too. Particularly Italian BN from the films. I have a compilation called Morricone Bossa that is all BN from some of his scores. This Trovajoli song is one of my all-time favs. Love it! We should start a Bossa thread.

Yeah that stuff is great! It's just nice background music. It's like wearing a nice jacket.

Comment

Well I just listened to the A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH and thought it was damn good. Just as good as BRAVE NEW WORLD, IMO. Both are really solid albums. I think I will eventually listen to all the rebirth era Maiden albums. The only thing I didn't like was the rougher engineering versus the fuller sound of later albums in the classic era. Reading about it they said they went for more of a live sound and did many single takes. It's not bad, I just prefer the fuller sound.

And I've seen the album cover for years and only just now found it it's by Tim Bradstreet. Cool work. I should probably listen to DANCE OF DEATH first before moving further onward but I've reached my fill for the day. Tomorrow then. UP THE IRONS!

Comment

Well I just listened to the A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH and thought it was damn good. Just as good as BRAVE NEW WORLD, IMO. Both are really solid albums. I think I will eventually listen to all the rebirth era Maiden albums. The only thing I didn't like was the rougher engineering versus the fuller sound of later albums in the classic era. Reading about it they said they went for more of a live sound and did many single takes. It's not bad, I just prefer the fuller sound.

And I've seen the album cover for years and only just now found it it's by Tim Bradstreet. Cool work. I should probably listen to DANCE OF DEATH first before moving further onward but I've reached my fill for the day. Tomorrow then. UP THE IRONS!
                            It is indeed another strong album, let down by the production. It's probably my second favourite of the albums post Dickinson's return.

Comment

Brave New World and A Matter of Live and Death are the best of the post-Bruce/Adrian return albums, though all the of the later albums are sterling. Dance of Death is an oddly underrated album. That has to be attributed to the (unfinished) cover.
                              LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

And it wasn't until a long time later that I understood what Paul meant on the intro of RUNNING FREE when he says "This is a song you sing when a bird shits on ya!"
                                This comes before RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER. And it's Bruce, not Paul. Not sure why I associate this with RUNNING FREE? My brain is turning to mush.

I liked Maiden Japan too, I wish they had released a full length live album back then. I have a 12 inch single for "Sanctuary" that has a live version of "I've Got The Fire" (Montrose cover) with Paul on vocals. It rips!
                                I was curious about picking up a copy of MAIDEN JAPAN, then I read that cassette wasn't official and goes for crazy money now! Too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X