UFO Live In Corpus Christi, August 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO Live In Corpus Christi, August 1978

This was from a Corpus Christi show. It was sooo good. Sorry these pictures aren't quite as good as I though they were...

Click image for larger version

Name:	4ne7eG8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	371493 Click image for larger version

Name:	x4C2vE4.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	371494

Name:	daXDfCV.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	371495 Click image for larger version

Name:	3Wu3O7L.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	371496

Name:	ktYISWf.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	371497 Click image for larger version

Name:	eA3QvA1.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	371500

Name:	jGbzpmk.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	371498 Click image for larger version

Name:	yuz7gZr.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	371499

Too rad. I'm splitting this off to its own thread!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

What year was this?
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm guessing 1978 or so? Awesome pictures, Quot! Thanks for sharing. I still can't believe Paul Raymond and Pete Way are gone....
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

They were touring Lights Out, and it was August 1978. One of the all time great underrated rock classics. I was kinda hoping that their cover of Love's Alone Again Or would have made that live album you had mentioned, but alas...

Still, a great cover. I love how they replaced the horns with the electric guitar.

I used to always snag guitar picks that were thrown out, pretty sure I got ones from Pete, maybe Schenker and Raymond too (when he wasn't on keyboards). Some picks have names on them (I have Nugent, Rick Nielsen, , Buck Dharma, Willie Nelson). Most of the others I can't remember (unless I wrote the name down - like Herco nylon picks for Devo and Ultravox, a Fender Medium for Gang of Four, a CMS Wales #1 pick from Boomtown Rats, and my personal favorite, a CMS Wales #4 pick from The Stranglers - not sure if it was Hugh's or J.J.'s).

Are you familiar with UFO's earliest two "space rock" albums? The UFO 2: Flying album is excellent.

Ian, one of these days I'll post some of the best of my other concerts photos, like Devo, Talking Heads, Nazareth, Patti Smith, Aerosmith, Mahogany Rush, Iggy Pop, etc.

Quot
          Bark! Go away
          Last edited by Quot; 02-09-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I really love the cover of "Alone Again Or", Schenker's solo is so melodic and tasteful. Great cover all around. I have the 2 early albums and play them once in a while but I vastly prefer the direction they took when Schenker joined. From Phenomenon through Strangers In The Night...just an incredible run. I do like the cover of Eddie Cochran's "C'mon Everybody" on the UFO 1 album. They would later cover Cochran again with "Somethin' Else" on Mechanix. I love the Paul Chapman albums (he replaced Schenker) too - particularly No Place To Run and The Wild The Willing and The Innocent.

Texas must have been a special place for them, there is a "semi official" bootleg level sound live cd called Parker's Birthday. It was drummer Andy Parker's b-day and the album was recorded in Texas in 79. They were supposedly smashed and it was the rare show where they were sloppy as hell.

Comment

Lights Out. Played the hell out of that album in college.
              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Originally posted by Quot View Post
                Ian, one of these days I'll post some of the best of my other concerts photos, like Devo, Talking Heads, Nazareth, Patti Smith, Aerosmith, Mahogany Rush, Iggy Pop, etc.
                If you feel any of them are article-worthy like the Sex Pistols piece from a couple of years ago let me know!

I saw UFO with Saxon at BB King's a couple of years ago with Horace. It was a fun show but Saxon blew UFO off the stage (I actually wound up leaving during UFO's set not because they were bad but because I had to work early the next day). I bet seeing them back in '78 would have been a completely different experience!
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

They toured Texas so much that, because of their immense popularity, it became a second home for them.

Enough credit can't be given to the legendary hard rock radio station in San Antonio, KISS-FM, where the groundbreaking DJ tandem of Joe Anthony and Lou Roney single-handedly made every American and UK rock band worth their salt an immediate local sensation and much sought after for bookings. Hell, I lived in New Braunfels, a small German-Mexican town about half-way between San Antonio and Austin. There was a club called El Conquistador, just off the interstate, and they booked bands like Riot fer chrissake!! The late 70's early 80's was a great time to be alive in Texas.

My friends and I road-tripped and saw Van Halen tour in support of their first album in 1978 too - 3 concerts in 3 days!! July 1st in Dallas, July 2nd in San Antonio, and July 3rd at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin.

Andrew, do yourself a favor and research the whole San Antonio KISS-FM Anthony/Roney radio phenomenon (I've even found stuff on YouTube). You won't regret it!

Comment

Originally posted by Quot View Post
                    Andrew, do yourself a favor and research the whole San Antonio KISS-FM Anthony/Roney radio phenomenon (I've even found stuff on YouTube). You won't regret it!

Will do! Thanks for the tip. It sounds like a great rock'n'roll story.

I was reading a review of that upcoming Strangers In The Night deluxe edition in Classic Rock and the reviewer mentioned that Geddy Lee told a story about touring with UFO back in the late 70s, during a stretch in the bible belt, they had a Sunday Night show and of course, there was no alcohol to be found. He said 5 minutes before UFO was supposed to go on they were nowhere to be seen. He eventually looked in the parking lot where they were at a fan's car slamming as many beers as they could before hitting the stage. He said they were note perfect when they played too!

Comment

Awwwww, yeah, Quot photo thread!!!!!

Comment

Produced by George Martin!

Comment

I'm not ready to leave prime Lights Out cuts just yet...

If you've never heard Love to Love, then listen - and tell me it's not one of the all-time great power ballads.

Comment

Working...
                          X