The Official RSP Thread For The Damned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official RSP Thread For The Damned

The Damned - Don't You Wish That We Were Dead coming to home video on May 20th via MVD Entertainment Group. Featuring Chrissie Hynde, Dave Gahan, Lemmy, Mick Jones, Billy Idol and more...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CLO0244.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	367163

After packing cinemas and collecting rave reviews around the world, THE DAMNED: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead is coming to home video on May 20th.

Hailed as "excellent" by Uncut, "fascinating" by The Arts Desk,and "funny, fast-moving and gloriously chaotic" by The Hollywood Reporter, the film was directed/produced by Wes Orshoski, and is the first fully authorized documentary on punk pioneers The Damned.

Ireland's Hot Press raves: "Orshoski came onto our radar with the acclaimed Lemmy documentary in 2011 [which he co-directed/produced] and has once again created a tour de force, presenting an entertaining and searingly honest depiction of the grievously overlooked punk legends."

Filmed around the globe over three years, and world-premiered at SXSW 2015, THE DAMNED: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead tells the story of the third prong in the holy trinity of U.K. punk. In advance of both the Sex Pistols and the Clash, The Damned was the first U.K. punk band to release a single (1976's immortal "New Rose"), the first to release an album ('77's frenetic Damned Damned Damned), and the first to tour America (planting their flag at CBGB in April 1977). Now in their 39th year, The Damned are the only band from London's 1976 Punk Rock Big Bang still touring the world today.

In addition to Damned founders Captain Sensible, Dave Vanian, Rat Scabies and Brian James, the film includes appearances by such one-time bandmates as The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde, Mick Jones (The Clash) and Lemmy Kilmister of Motí¶rhead, as well as such rock and/or punk luminaries as Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols), Steve Diggle (Buzzcocks), JJ Burnel (The Stranglers), Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode), Billy Idol, Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat/Fugazi), Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys), Keith Morris (Black Flag/Circle Jerks/OFF!), Dexter Holland (The Offspring), Jack Grisham (T.S.O.L.), and more.

Taking its name from the title-track of the Damned's 1979 album, Machine Gun Etiquette, the film charts the band's unique history, bitter infighting and legendary bad behavior (drummer Scabies is blamed for creating punk's "gobbing," or spitting, phenomenon); it takes viewers into the toilets once scrubbed by Captain Sensible and viewers follow the Damned on their world-wide 35th anniversary tour in 2011 -- with estranged band founders Scabies and James seen on screen answering that trek with a snarling celebration of their own. In a bizarre twist of fate, other former members find themselves being treated for the same form of cancer by the same doctor in the same Welsh cancer ward; elsewhere, the band's founding members are seen grappling with their legacy, and the fallout from missed and/or bungled business decisions that have kept them painfully working class for most of the past four decades.

The Arts Desk: "Where many music documentaries have a similar dynamic arc-rise, fall, rise again-Don't You Wish That We Were Dead is a fascinating, rambling saga that emanates a rich, sometimes morose, sense of what it's really like to have a whole life defined by the oh-so-brief explosion that was punk rock."

In the bonus features, Captain Sensible takes viewers on a tour of Croydon, the south London town that gave rise to the Damned, and he busks on the streets of Hollywood with actor/musician/comedian Fred Armisen, a huge Damned fan. Elsewhere, the full story of the band's involvement and eventual ousting from the Sex Pistols' fabled Anarchy in the U.K. tour of 1976 is told in detail for the first time.

In the film, The Damned is credited with helping to ignite the punk scene in America. In 1977, the Damned were the first of the U.K. punks to play in both New York (at CBGB) and Los Angeles (at the Starwood).

In 2010, The Huffington Post's Binky Phillips recalled the band's U.S. debut at CBGB in early April 1977: "I was down at CBGB with a chip on my shoulder. My town was Punk Ground Zero.... I was, in fact, without a struggle, reduced to fan boy within 30 seconds. It was as if the entire evening proceeding them had been in black and white and suddenly we were thrust into Technicolor Oz."

The Damned kick off a West Coast tour in April, which includes two appearances at Coachella (April 16 & 23), as well as stops in San Francisco (April 14, Great American Music Hall); Solana Beach, CA (April 19, Belly Up); Pomona, CA (April 20, The Glass House); and Los Angeles (April 21, The Roxy).

The band officially kicks off its 40th anniversary tour on May 20 with a sold-out gig at The Royal Albert Hall in London.

Follow news about the film at:
    www.damneddoc.com
    www.facebook.com/damneddoc
    TWITTER: @damnedmovie
    Instagram: DAMNEDDOC

Pre-order at the MVD SHOP: http://bit.ly/1LV7MRm

Amazon: http://amzn.com/B01BSW1NR2

SCREENINGS:

April 2: New Orleans, Louisiana, Zeitgeist Arts Center, 9:30 PM

April 6: London, England, Hackney Picturehouse, 8:30 PM.

April 14-15, 23: Buenos Aires, Argentina, BAFICI - Buenos Aires International Independent Film Fest

April 22-28, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Broadway Theatre, check times for each date

April 24, Kingston, New York, BSP Kingston, 6:30 PM

April 28: Houston, Texas, 14 Pews, 8 PM

April 29-30: Providence, Rhode Island, The Cable Car Cinema, 5 PM, 9 PM

May 2: Orlando, Florida, Enzian Theater, 9:30 PM

May 5: Durham, North Carolina, The Pinhook, 7 PM

May 6: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, The Globe, 7 PM, 9 PM

May 12: Toronto, Canada, Revue Cinema, 9:15 PM

May 23, 25: Edmonton, Canada, Metro Cinema

# # #
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I want to see this.

Comment

I thought this was Visconti's The Damned. haha. I wonder if that's where they got their name?

Comment

I'll probably grab the blu-ray when it's released on May 20th 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
          I want to see this.
          Tell me about it! I've been waiting for the blu announcement since this thing dropped. Missed the Portland screenings. DYING. TO. SEE.

Comment

Ordered the BD from ImportCds last week

For anyone here that doesn't visit the DAMNED Facebook site...
            There's a pledge going right now for a new release of Limited Edition goodies.

Comment

New album next year.
              LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

And 2017 tour dates!

April 6 - Los Angeles, CA - Belasco Theater
                April 7 - San Diego, CA - House Of Blues
                April 9 - Las Vegas, NV - House Of Blues
                April 11 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
                April 12 - Sacramento, CA - Ace Of Spades
                April 14 - Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
                April 15 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore
                April 16 - Seattle, WA - The Showbox
                April 18 - Salt Lake City, U - The Depot
                April 19 - Denver, CO - Summit Music Hall
                April 21 - St. Louis, MO - Del Mar Hall
                April 22 - Minneapolis, MN - Fine Line
                April 23 - Chicago, IL - House Of Blues
                April 24 - Louisville, KY - Mercury Ballroom
                April 26 - Indianapolis, IN - Deluxe at Old National Ctr.
                April 27 - Cincinnati, OH - Bogart's
                April 28 - Cleveland, OH - House Of Blues
                April 29 - Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
                April 30 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Theatre
                May 2 - Montreal, QC - Club Soda
                May 4 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
                May 5 - Brooklyn, NY - Warsaw
                May 6 - Asbury Park, NJ - Stone Pony
                May 7 - Philadelphia, PA - TLA
                May 9 - Baltimore, MD - Sound Stage
                May 11 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade/Heaven
                May 12 - Lake Buena Vista, FL - House Of Blues
                May 13 - St, Petersburg, FL - State Theater
                May 14 - Fort Lauderdale, FL - Revolution
                May 16 - New Orleans, LA - House Of Blues
                May 17 - Houston, TX - House Of Blues
                May 18 - Dallas, TX - House Of Blues
                May 19 - Austin, TX - Mohawk Outdoors
                May 21- Phoenix, AZ - Marquee Theater
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So Captain Sensible fell of the stage and messed himself up at the Toronto show last week. That led to the NYC show being rescheduled.

Just got a press release about this:

THE DAMNED

CAPTAIN SENSIBLE, FEELING NO PAIN, RESUMES 40TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR SITTING ON 'THRONE'

POSTPONED MONTREAL, BOSTON AND NEW YORK SHOWS RESCHEDULED FOR LATER THIS MONTH

THE DAMNED SIGN LABEL DEAL FOR NEW ALBUM IN THE WORKS

For Immediate Release May 8, 2017
                  *All Content Cleared for Posting*

Less than a week after Captain Sensible fell offstage at their sold out show in Toronto, resulting in a broken rib, The Damned were forced to postpone three shows this past week, including Montreal, Boston and New York (dates are rescheduled for later this month). On Saturday night, the band made a triumphant return at a sold out Stone Pony in Asbury Park - sitting on a specially built 'throne' created by his bandmates and crew, Captain appeared to be feeling no pain as he blasted through the 90 minute set (plus two encores), confirming that the 40th anniversary tour is definitely back on!

"As movement is a bit awkward currently, I played last night seated, but it all went swimmingly and this epic 40th Anniversary tour is now firmly back on the road. We've played some great venues on the trip... and Asbury Park's Stone Pony is up there with the best of 'em. But I have to say I wish I'd waited till here before backflipping off the stage, as this one was only 3 feet high. D'oh!”
                  -Captain Sensible.

The Damned also announce a new label deal with Raw Power Management, the international artist management company, who have signed the legendary band to their label, Search and Destroy, a joint venture with Spinefarm Records/Universal. This new venture will see The Damned release their first new album for nearly ten years on Search and Destroy. The as-yet-unnamed new album will be recorded this summer and is the follow up to, 'So, Who's Paranoid?', which came out in 2008.

Formed in 1976, The Damned really need no introduction… As well as releasing the first ever British punk single and album, they also broke further new ground as the first UK punk act to tour America. Cited as one of the most influential punk groups of all time, they also contributed vastly to the gothic rock genre and influenced an entire generation of future hardcore punk bands such as Black Flag and Bad Brains, with their fast paced energetic playing style and attitude, as well as heavyweights such as Green Day and Guns 'N' Roses (the latter acknowledged the debt when they covered “New Rose” on their 1993 album, 'The Spaghetti Incident'). Along with the Sex Pistols and The Clash, the Damned helped spearhead the punk movement in the UK and they continue to wave the flag for originality, stick two fingers up to mediocrity and celebrate a DIY punk ethos in the face of plastic entertainment and scripted reality, four decades and ten albums later (and still on the road).

The band's hugely influential classic debut single, 'New Rose', celebrated its 40th anniversary last November with a limited edition 7” release via BMG. Featuring original artwork, picture disc and exclusive fold out poster, it's a must have collectable release of one of the most influential records of all time. Their classic debut long-player, 'Damned Damned Damned' (the very first British punk album), was originally released by Stiff Records on February 18th 1977 and, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the band's dramatic breakthrough, BMG also released a very special Art Of The Album: Deluxe Edition of that incredible debut album on February 17th, almost exactly 40 years to the day since its original issue.

Currently on a world tour, the band's two month North American run began in Los Angeles April 6th, and they also play a series of UK festivals this summer (check the band's website for details). David Vanian, Captain Sensible, Monty Oxymoron, Andrew 'Pinch' Pinching, and Stu West will head back into the studio after the North American dates to start work on a brand new album, their first since 2008's 'So, Who's Paranoid?' A pre-order link for the CD, colored vinyl, as well as exclusive merch (and experiences) is available at PledgeMusic. The band recenly signed to Search & Destroy and will have more details regarding the new record in the coming weeks.

See The Damned live - it will be a night out that you will remember for a very long time..

Remaining Tour Dates for The Damned

Go here to find out about VIP packages including meet and greet, photo opps, and 7" limited edition "New Rose"

May 9 - Baltimore, MD - Sound Stage ^^^
                  May 11 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade/Heaven ^^^
                  May 12 - Lake Buena Vista, FL - House Of Blues ^^^
                  May 13 - St, Petersburg, FL - State Theater ^^^
                  May 14 - Fort Lauderdale, FL - Revolution ^^^
                  May 16 - New Orleans, LA - House Of Blues ^^^
                  May 17 - Houston, TX - House Of Blues ^^^
                  May 18 - Dallas, TX - House Of Blues ^^^
                  May 19 - Austin, TX - Mohawk Outdoors ^^^ SOLD OUT
                  May 21- Phoenix, AZ - Marquee Theater ^^^
                  May 23 - Brooklyn, NY - Warsaw ^^^ (rescheduled date) SOLD OUT
                  May 24 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club ^^^ (rescheduled date) SOLD OUT
                  May 25 - Montreal, QC - Club Soda ^^^ (rescheduled date)

^^^ w/ The BellRays

Name:	magnumpr_captain--1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	352322

Photo Credit: Andrea Beck
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

New Damned release news! Their Night Of A Thousand Vampires concert is finally being released as cd/blu combo & vinyl editions. Trailer below:

Comment

Missed that when you first posted it, Ben. I'm probably gonna need that Blu-ray.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It’s disappointing a bd isn’t included with the vinyl editions, so it’ll be the cd for me. I hope the audio is mixed well. I do wonder if Dave went back to loop in any vox he forgot to sing, haha.

Comment

Sooooo...

I haven't gotten around to buying Night Of A Thousand Vampires yet - but I have listened to some of it on Spotify. Good to hear they didn't really polish up the recording, I didn't notice extra guitar tracks or anything so far.

THEN...

The Damned's new album - Darkadelic - was announced last week. Release date is 4/28. 1st single is "Invisible Man" and I like it quite a bit. They've also announced an impending Euro/UK tour starting in March. On top of all that, they also announced they'll be headlining Rebellion Festival in Blackpool in August -- which I'm intending to be at (which I'll post somewhere else about just cuz...). Cover art by Graham Humphreys, btw.

Name:	TheDamned_DARKADELIC_Album+Cover_1080x1080.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	409384

Here's the video for "Invisible Man":

Comment

Happy to see/hear that Dave Vanian's voice still holds up incredibly well.

I dig that track.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X