RIP Lemmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Lemmy

Motorhead's legendary frontman has passed, and a large piece of rock n' roll history has passed with him. I'm absolutely gutted to hear this. Knew it was coming sooner or later, but it still hurts. RIP, Lem. You were an original. Hope you're playing it at ridiculously loud volumes with the angels.

Amen!

Comment

Yes, awful news but after what's gone on these last few months, not really a shock. RIP Lemmy. I was just talking to a close friend Saturday night about the first time I heard Motorhead - when a friend bought Ace Of Spades on release when we were in high school. Great memories...
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

A buddy posted this at another site, I thought it was worth sharing.

W. Earl Brown posted a pretty darn cool (and long) reminiscence of Lemmy on Facebook:

I once did a film in which I was being chased by wolves. I had a scene where the Alpha of the pack leapt on the hood of my car and stared me down through the windshield. I will never forget staring into those eyes, this wasn't a dog - not even a tough, bad-ass dog - no, this was a Wolf. Those eyes were feral, primal, part of some spirit that has connected Wild Things since the beginning of time. It was both exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure.

I felt the same way when I first met Lemmy.

My friend, Zachary Throne, was playing a gig with Lemmy and the Upsetters. Knowing of our shared love of Motí¶rhead, Zach called me up and invited me to the rehearsal. It was a Sunday morning, around eleven a.m. (for Rockers, that is the crack of dawn). "Hey Lemmy, this is my buddy, Earl. Earl, Lem."

Lemmy was shirtless, wearing skintight jeans and white cowboy boots. He gives me the once over, head to toe, then, in that voice that sounded like bourbon filtered through gravel and smoke... "Earl?" I gulped hard, then nodded my head... "Earl, would you like a drink?"

My first thought was - it is Sunday morning, I really should be in church. But when the coolest motherfucker on the planet offers you a drink - you drink. Makers Mark on the rocks, served from Lem's custom built carrying case. We drink. One. Two. Three. We start to sing Beatle songs. After a half dozen or so, Lem turns to me and says "Earl, you ever listen to Abba?" Thinking he is pulling my leg, I say, "Uh, NO." "Well, you missed the greatest sense of pop melody outside of Lennon & McCartney. Zach, you know any Abba?" Since Zach knows every song ever written, we launched into Abba tunes.

I was drunk on a Sunday morning, trying to harmonize on Abba with Lemmy Kilmister, thinking I really, really should be in church... Then it dawned on me - I was.
        I got to know Lem a little better as time passed. We exchanged numbers. Talked a few times. When Patrick Stone started working on DEADWOOD, he found that I knew Lem and suggesting we invite him out to play cowboy. So, we did; we had Metal Day on set. Lemmy, Scott Ian, Pearl Aday, and Charlotte Taylor spent the day playing with us and I got to know Lemmy even better.

I asked him once about his love of rock and he said it dated back to 1957 when his dad took him to see Buddy Holly and Little Richard in London. Lem said he was 11 years old, but as soon as he saw little Richard play his first song, he said to himself, "I'm doing THAT for the rest of my life!" And he did.

Lemmy was the coolest motherfucker on the planet (aside from his own Badassery on the Bass, he was also Jimmy Hendrix's first roadie in London after the Experience was formed AND he followed the Beatles around starting when they were still known as the Silver Beatles), but he was as down to earth as any man I've ever known. He lived and breathed Rock and Roll but he was never too-cool to share it with anybody. If you loved Music, Lemmy was your friend, regardless of who you were or where you came from. He loved the Ramones and he loved Johnny Cash (the only musician he didn't like - at least as far as I know - was Jimmy Page ["fuck him, the prissy lil cunt, but I will say Jimmy always wore nice trousers."]).

Lemmy was a voracious reader and was whip smart. I asked him once about his huge collection of Nazi paraphernalia and the rumors around it. He said, "I'm not a fucking Nazi - never have been. It is just that my earliest memories were that those were the bastards who were trying to kill me with their fucking nazi bombs - they're the ones my dad went to war against - and now, I am still alive and I have got all their shit."

From what I gather, Lemmy turned 70 on Dec 24, found out he had cancer on Dec 26, and died on Dec 28. That's just like Lem - when the time comes to get the show on the road, you get on the fucking road.

While I do not want to live my life like Lemmy chose to live his, I can't help but admire the strength and determination it took for Lem to do it all on his own terms and remain true to himself.

One final piece of wisdom passed down to me by Mr Kilmister on that first day I met him: in discussing some long lost friend with his son, Paul, who'd just moved to LA from London - "He hates me."

"No, Dad, I don't think he hates you."

"He does. He's hated me for 25 years." Then Lem turns to me and says, "I screwed his Bird. He never forgave me."

Not being an Englishman myself, my first thought was that was a peculiar thing to do a friend's pet; my second thought was that was a really long time for his buddy to hold a grudge. Then it dawned on me, "Ohhhh, you mean his GIRLFRIEND."

"Yeah. Sweet girl... She had inverted nipples. Ya ever had a girl with inverted nipples?" I had not. "Well," Lem continues, "it's quite the tasty treat if ya willin' to put in the work."

Lemmy Kilmister - there will never be another like him. He didn't break the mold, it fucking melted when he stepped out of it.

Comment

Lemmy managed to record an astounding 22 full-length albums since 1977 with Motorhead and the longest gap between two albums was the 4 years between Rock 'n' Roll in 1987 and 1916 in 1991. That's pretty incredible when you think of how many bands that formed way later and take 6 or so years to get their asses in gear to even begin writing new material. Lemmy's work ethic was second to fucking none. Write, record, tour, repeat. Plus non-stop gigging in between. He lived it.
          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
            Lemmy managed to record an astounding 22 full-length albums since 1977 with Motorhead and the longest gap between two albums was the 4 years between Rock 'n' Roll in 1987 and 1916 in 1991. That's pretty incredible when you think of how many bands that formed way later and take 6 or so years to get their asses in gear to even begin writing new material. Lemmy's work ethic was second to fucking none. Write, record, tour, repeat. Plus non-stop gigging in between. He lived it.
            This. I knew Lemmy was in bad shape when he was two songs in on that one show on this last tour and couldn't go on. It was so sad to see. But you know what? He still managed to finish the tour, just so he wouldn't disappoint the fans. Speaks volumes about the dedication he had to his craft.

We're not likely to see another rocker like Lemmy anytime soon. Looks like Keith Richards is the last one left standing, and let's be honest; he may be great, but he's nowhere as interesting as Lemmy was.

Comment

Some news on his very recent cancer diagnosis:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mot...onths-to-live/

I guess it's good that he went so fast in that he didn't have to go through a long period of pain and suffering.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I was reading about this earlier. His manager mentioned how amazing it is that with all of the tests he'd had done that cancer was never discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
                  This. I knew Lemmy was in bad shape when he was two songs in on that one show on this last tour and couldn't go on. It was so sad to see. But you know what? He still managed to finish the tour, just so he wouldn't disappoint the fans. Speaks volumes about the dedication he had to his craft.

We're not likely to see another rocker like Lemmy anytime soon. Looks like Keith Richards is the last one left standing, and let's be honest; he may be great, but he's nowhere as interesting as Lemmy was.

I was at the Austin show where that happened. It was devastating to see, just the way he played those first 2 songs too. A few days later he was apparently rocking again, so I thought it really was the come down from the mountains, but in the back of my head I sort of knew. For something you know is coming, to someone you don't really know this one hit hard.
                  EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Comment

This...

From what I gather, Lemmy turned 70 on Dec 24, found out he had cancer on Dec 26, and died on Dec 28. That's just like Lem - when the time comes to get the show on the road, you get on the fucking road.
                      Read an interview with Mikkey Dee where he said Lemmy basically found out he had a few months left to live and said 'Fuck it. I ve had a good life' and willed himself to get it over quickly

Comment

Great stuff from Rollins.

He once told that he remembered before there was rock & roll. The statement blew my mind and I asked him to elaborate. He said there was a time when it was just your parents' Rosemary Clooney records. Then he heard Elvis, Chuck Berry and other originals and never came back. In the next breath, he talked about seeing The Beatles play in the Cavern Club, and I realized that the man was there when they were building the foundation. Oh, and then there's the part where he used to be on Hendrix's road crew.

So there was really nothing you could ever tell Lemmy about how it's done. In fact, you can't tell the story of modern rock & roll without him.

Comment

Funeral will be streamed LIVE today (Saturday) from Hollywood.

http://www.cnet.com/news/streaming-f...eryone-attend/

Comment

We're having a memorial party. Come on over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                              Rollins is exactly right with this article. Read it and completely agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X